Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I drove my '93 about five miles around town and took it home. All seemed fine, but when I opened the hood I noticed some coolant on the underside of the hood, above the area of the belt, at the front of the engine. It looks like it may have been slung there by the belt. Even though the temp here is in the high 90s the car did not overheat. I can find NO sign of leakage around the water pump or at any of the hoses. The belt is not wet and there is no sign of coolant anywhere else.

Any ideas?

Jim B.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Put some pressure to it and eyeball it with a good flashlight and a mirror. I'll bet it's the water pump.

·
DC Crew
2,988 Posts
Yesterday I drove my '93 about five miles around town and took it home. All seemed fine, but when I opened the hood I noticed some coolant on the underside of the hood, above the area of the belt, at the front of the engine. It looks like it may have been slung there by the belt. Even though the temp here is in the high 90s the car did not overheat. I can find NO sign of leakage around the water pump or at any of the hoses. The belt is not wet and there is no sign of coolant anywhere else.

Any ideas?

Jim B.
I would PROMPTLY stuff a rag in the area above and around the OPTISPARK section, PRONTO!

·
Registered
721 Posts
You do not want to replace that optispark. It is prolly the waterpump as stated. I had to replace both on my 93. I wouldn't drive much more until you replace that pump, if thats what it is.

·
Registered
178 Posts
If you do use a pressure test, DO NOT put more pressure than what is listed on the radiator cap. You'll simply blow the radiator out.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Took the car to a local trusted shop today. Put it on the rack and looked it over real good. No sign of a leak anywhere!
He thinks the bright green stuff I saw, and cleaned off the hood may be dye placed in the AC. He said it looks like there is a very slight leak at the seal of the AC compressor. It would explain the location of the splash on the hood and not finding coolant anywhere else under the hood.
We ran the car till it was warm and couldn't find any sign of coolant leakage.

I'll keep you posted, thanks for all the input.

Jim

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Ah, that A/C dye does look like coolant at first glance. I'd say it's a wee bit more than just a "slight" leak if it's slinging that much oil though. How's the air been working?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
AC blows cold. I'm going to have a new seal put in. The guy at the shop seems to think the compressor seal is just starting to go and leaks when it is hot.

Drove the car last night and there was just a touch of the green stuff on the hood, same place. Since there is nothing on the underside of the air intake or anywhere else, I feel pretty safe it is not being slung from the water pump. I didn't realize the dye in the AC was that bright green.

Thanks

Jim B.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
When you get the bill for the A/C seal, you may be wishing it was your water pump.:devil:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts