Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what should my coolant temp be at normally? It seems like mines been going up saw it at 257 today. maybe its just in my head. Also could this have something to do with the fact that my heater seems to have stopped working?

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Your heator Quit 'cause your low on coolant
DO NOT DRIVE untill you verify there is coolant in the radiator....not just the bottle!!!
also make sure your fans are working BEFORE YOU DRIVE !!!

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
By the way.... make SURE your engine is cool to the touch BEFORE removing the radiator cap!!!!

·
Registered
0 Posts
DAMM!!!:surprised YOu better not drive it till you fix it!:surprised My Vette hit 250 this summer 1 day ....I immediatly pulled over & disscovered my fan wasnt on...waited 1/2 hour for it to cool down & got it home & repaired the fan. I hope you didnt do any damage driving it that hot! :lookinup:

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
StomVette88 said:
what should my coolant temp be at normally? It seems like mines been going up saw it at 257 today. maybe its just in my head. Also could this have something to do with the fact that my heater seems to have stopped working?

257 is way too hot, fan should come on by 230 at the most. Check coolant level, see if fans are working, clean off lower area of radiator, lots of trash gathers there. Check your thermostat.
Don't drive it when it gets that hot, or you'll have much bigger problems. :(

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah i wasnt driving it too long just to the quick shop. right after i posted and it had cooled i checked the coolant and its empty which tells me there must be a leak somewhere cause i just filled it up when i got a new water pump a few months ago. Its not the fans they are working fine. Im gonna fill it up tomorrow. There arent any puddles in my garage any idea where the leak may be?

·
Registered
0 Posts
StomVette88 said:
yeah i wasnt driving it too long just to the quick shop. right after i posted and it had cooled i checked the coolant and its empty which tells me there must be a leak somewhere cause i just filled it up when i got a new water pump a few months ago. Its not the fans they are working fine. Im gonna fill it up tomorrow. There arent any puddles in my garage any idea where the leak may be?
If you just put a h20 pump in you may have had air pockets in the system?:huh:

·
Official Forklift Driver
7,068 Posts
"Packing the radiator"

This is best done w/ 2 people. With the radiator as full as you can get it w/ the motor off, put on the radiator cap. Start the motor and let it warm up to about 100 degrees. If you feel pressure when you squeeze the upper radiator hose, shut the motor down and let it cool.

When the motor is warm and no pressure in the radiator hose, remove the cap. Be careful! With the cap off and motor running, have someone raise the rpm's to 2500 and hold it there. Add the coolant until it's full, replace the radiator cap while still at 2500 rpm's.

Done. :thumbsup:

It's also a good idea to check all the hoses and make sure they are tight. I was monkeying around w/ my timing on Saturday and when I was loosening the bolt for the distributor I noticed a puff of smoke from the driver side near the radiator. It turned out to be a puff of steam from coolant slowly dripping from the upper radiator hose. I have been smelling coolant but could never find drops on the floor. Turns out it was evaporating before it got there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts