Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the capacity of the radiator? the entire cooling system? I looked in different books and can't get a straight answer.

Plus, when you drain the radiator, does the entire system drain...from the engine block too...or just the radiator?

I plan to do just that this weekend and want to (1)get enough distilled water & (2) mix the right antifreeze to water %.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
552 Posts
Around a gallon hides inside the block unless you pull the drain plugs. They're just above the oil pan rail in the middle.

They often won't come out without a torch unless the motor's rebuilt and the machine shop already took em out with a torch once

good luck

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
I've had good luck using a 6 point socket to remove old plugs.

Once or twice I have hammered on a metric 6 point socket for a much tighter fit.

I've luckily never had to use a torch or drill one out.

I do recommend completely draining the system, both block plugs, radiator, and if you're up to it, flush out the heater core.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Owner's manual usually lists cooling system capacity. Purchase 50/50 premixed antifreeze and you will not have to fool with distilled water.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
118 Posts
My 80 has a capacity of ca. 20 litres (4 - 5 gallons??). I found the capacity in my owners manual. We had problems getting rid of the green &%(#"!!! that was in the coolant. After running the car for 20 minutes with the bottom hose removed and a garden hose in the cooling water inlet, we gave up. We hope the new cooling water will flush out whats left of that green crap. We also put some cooling water cleaning fluid in the system before we started. Don`t know if it actually helped. Anyways, I don`t have any cooling problems now and I didn`t have any before we changed the coolant.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts