Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got my 84 in with the mechnanic for some general maintenance and he has indicated that the cooling system is need of some attention. The heater control value is definitely leaking, as are the gaskets around the orginal water pump. He recommended replacing the water pump even though its still functioning since it's got to come off to replace the gasket. He tells me the radiator is gummed up and should be replaced as well. I assume a stock GM water pump will do. How about the radiator? Should I go stock or consider an alternative? The car does run on the hot side, very easily getting to 200 plus on an even cool day, so no doubt the cooling system isn't functioning as well as it could. Recommendations would be appreciated.

·
DC Crew
32,976 Posts
I would just get a normal stock pump you can pick them up at the local parts store for $40. As for the radiator a good used one will work if you don't want to pop for a new one.

These cars run hot to begin with so keep that in mind. Seeing temps in stock form between 210-220 isn't outragous. I have mine down in the 190's now but it also isn't in stock form.:laughing:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks man. I almost fell on the floor when my local dealer quoted me $300 for a water pump and $480 for a radiator. I last put a radiator in the car 15 years ago and paid 300 for a brand new GM unit. I think some shopping is in order.

·
DC Crew
32,976 Posts
I think some shopping is in order.
Without a doubt! You should even call more than one of your local parts stores. Sometimes you will find $5-10 differences from store to store.:thumbsup:

·
Supporting Vendor
34 Posts
Thanks man. I almost fell on the floor when my local dealer quoted me $300 for a water pump and $480 for a radiator. I last put a radiator in the car 15 years ago and paid 300 for a brand new GM unit. I think some shopping is in order.
For $480 you could upgrade to a dual row radiator. Twice the cooling capacity with welded on aluminum tanks instead of plastic.

Just a thought it might be more than you wanted to spend, but you did mention it ran a little hot.

thanks

·
Registered
2020 Corvette black over black
234 Posts
200° isn't hot

if maintained, the stock radiator is more than adequate to properly cool the car. on a c4, pulling and cleaning the radiator (removing all the gunk between the cooling fins and from the fan shroud) should be done every few years anyway. i owned and maintained c4s for many years and my temp never got above 225°, even in stop and go traffic with the a/c on. you might be interested to know that my c6 runs about the same temperature, under the same conditions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts