Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a C6 2006 Convertible.

I find that when I am going over a bridge with expansion joints and turing a corner over a small bump in the road, I get rear wheel hop and the car wants to fishtail slightly.

Is this normal with Vettes.

Is this because the rear is much lighter that the front of the car.

I don't have this problem with any of my other cars which seem to corner better than the Vettes

Is there a way to fix the problem?

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
sorry this is no help but whats wheel hop?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wheel Hop

When I go over a bump or even an expansion joint on a bridge the back wheels lift up slightly off the road so I loose traction for a second and the Vette then has a tendency to move sideways. I never experianced this loss of control with any other car.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
sorry this is no help but whats wheel hop?
seems to be more of a problem when launching or doing a burnout when the wheels "hop". you will know when you are getting wheel hop if:
your car shakes violently, your diff explodes, or you leave burnout marks looking like you shifted 20 times

alanmm1- someone else correct me if im wrong but didn't some early C6's have clutch pack problems, causing chatter around corners? maybe this is causing your wheels to hop around turns

·
Registered
762 Posts
He's got an '06. Wheel hop is a huge bitch on the drag strip. However, I have never noticed on the street.

·
Only green will do...
18,403 Posts
Is this normal go figure a high end car doing that can this be fixed and has anybody else experienced this problem

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
thanks every one for your answers:thumbsup:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wheel Hop

The car is an automatic. This can happen even when I am not giving gas. If the back wheels bounce, and it doesn't take much for them to do so, and I am on a curve, the car will slide sideways. I am going to go to a dealer and road test a new one tomorrow.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I have experienced this with my '07 but have not really thought of it as a problem. I think it is due to a combination of the EMTs having little sidewall flex and stiff suspension when hitting a square edged bump...the tire actually looses contact briefly and so the rear of the car shifts slightly and then hooks back up. Likely different tires with more flex in the sidewalls would solve it.

A

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I had this with my '07 vert as well. I got a GOOD alignment and it solved it. No more hop going over bumps in a turn. Here are my specs:

Camber: Fr -1.25 Rr -1.00
Tow: Fr - 0 Rr - 0
Caster: L - 7.7 R - 8.3

Handles GREAT like this!

·
Registered
26 Posts

I find that when I am going over a bridge with expansion joints and turing a corner over a small bump in the road, I get rear wheel hop and the car wants to fishtail slightly.

I don't have this problem with any of my other cars which seem to corner better than the Vettes

My guess is that you have the Z51 suspension. If so, you can cure a lot of it by changing to the standard suspension springs. But don't change anything else, just the springs (and shocks if you want), leave all the rest of the Z51 stuff and you will have a nicer car for the street.

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
alanmm1,
It sounds like you are experiencing "bump steer" not wheel hop.

Upgrading to Koni's eliminated bump steer and playing with the adjustment eliminated hop except in cold weather on run flats.

:cheers:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Reg Suspension

I have the regular suspension with the Magnetic Selective Ride Control
Never use the off road setting. In fact I cannot see any difference between the two settings. In my opinion the Magnetic Selective Ride Control is a waste of money.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
There is an off-road setting in the Vette?:lookinup:

·
Registered
690 Posts
I just read the car and driver review/comparo with the 2007, both with Z51 and they talk about this exact thing...they say it is much better in the '08 due to improved steering and chassis feel.

A

·
Registered
269 Posts

yeah, im with midnite. i believe thats different than wheel hop. i just didnt know what it was called.

i know a good coil over set will help wheel hop. im not sure if it will help that too or not.

oh, and the c6 weight distribution is almost 50/50. close to it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have the regular suspension with the Magnetic Selective Ride Control
Never use the off road setting. In fact I cannot see any difference between the two settings. In my opinion the Magnetic Selective Ride Control is a waste of money.

We have an 06 coupe and notice a big difference, but the road has to be rough - not interstate. We have an 08 on order and the wife insists on Magnetic Selective Ride Control because she notices a big difference in the settings on rough roads.

One more thing I use Nitrogen in the tires and this way they don’t get so over-inflated in the hot weather.

:buhbye: Marv

·
Registered
29 Posts
alanmm1,
It sounds like you are experiencing "bump steer" not wheel hop.

Upgrading to Koni's eliminated bump steer and playing with the adjustment eliminated hop except in cold weather on run flats.

:cheers:
:agree:

Bump steer Definition: The tendency of a vehicle to suddenly veer or swerve to one side when hitting a bump or dip in the road. The condition is caused by uneven toe changes that occur as a result of the steering linkage or rack not being parallel with the road surface. This causes the wheels to change toe unevenly as the suspension undergoes jounce and rebound.

I have also experimented a lot of "bump steer” in my c6 z51. This was one of the reasons I decided to install pfadt coilovers. Now bump steer is over.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts