Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully you can see the photos

what is the correct fitting to go into the callipers?
My goodridge kit came with an adapter but it’s shorter than the line end that came off my old callipers but in any case both new and old have concave cones and so does the end of the hole in the calliper so that’s not how they seel.

the old line did not use a washer so I’m not entirely sure how it seels and what is correct to do / use.

obviously my first thought was use a copper washer but both new and old lines flat surface has absolutely minimal surface area to contact a copper washer if that was their intended design I would have thought this surface area would have been designed bigger…
Hand Tire Automotive tire Tread Finger

Electrical wiring Cable Rotary tool Gas Circuit component

Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Wheel Headlamp

·
Registered
107 Posts
I regret I have no advice to offer, and can't understand the problem from the pictures.

but I did gain insight into forming a projected buying decision about replacing my old brake hoses. Previously I thought Goodridge would be considered a first alternative trusted supplier for these parts. Now I am once again reconsidering the advice given by pro corvette restorers at an event at the Petersen museum, "if cost is not an issue, use only GM oem parts. Of course, one has to remember they were restoring show cars to be judged, but the underlying reasons for the advice are sound.

I had mentally selected good ridge as a first choice provider for just the part you selected. Given that it was pointed out to me that a rubber hose has the reinforcement on the inside as pretty much the only construction difference from those with metal braiding on the outside, I will now probably go with the less glamorous old stock black brake hose, and maybe even save a couple of bucks .

In my experience with pressure hose fittings, the concave and convex surfaces mate, with the extended surface area used as the seal, with no perishable materials, like sealant or tape used. I can't remember a washer ever being involved, but manufacturing is always advancing . I would contact a factory rep, or an experienced guy with good functional knowledge for a solution, or to double check any random offered advice to any brake safety issue.

hope you find an easy solution, one would assume a kit from a trusted supplier would be plug and play instead of a disappointment. Perhaps the more detailed installation instructions that you seek will provide a simple answer, perhaps found in the adaptor direction.

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
Classic1275cc - Hey, good to hear from you again! I don't check Instagram very often, I find that it's good for pics but harder to exchange tech information.

I no longer have my OEM calipers so I can't check them out. As I recall, I'm pretty sure they used inverted flare fittings but I can't verify that at the moment. Perhaps someone here has some calipers they can take a look at and share with us.

On your second picture that shows 3 hoses with the new hose on the left, the 2 old ones are almost certainly inverted flare. The new one on the left has an adapter that is inverted flare on one end and what appears to be a AN fitting on the other end that the new hose connects to. Most likely it is an AN-3 size.

Take another close look at the hole in the caliper. If it has a slightly raised cone shape like the nut in the picture below, then it is an inverted flare.

Wood Hardwood Trunk Natural material Rectangle

A fitting like the one below would thread into it and the "cup" shape on the fitting would seal against the "cone" shape in the caliper.
Food Auto part Cylinder Machine Metal

If the bottom of the hole is completely flat, or maybe cone shaped in the opposite direction, then there would have to have been a copper washer or something between the caliper and hose fitting. You stated that the old ones did not have any kind of washer seal and that's how I remember mine were also. Based on that I'm pretty sure your calipers are inverted flare. Are they the same calipers you removed? The reason I ask is because your caliper picture seems to show the rough circular machining lines that are common to copper washer seals. It seems like somewhere in the past I remember having brake lines (not on a Corvette) with the inverted flare but actually sealed with a copper washer. I think the brake line fitting had a machined flat area under the nut that would seal against the copper washer.

Probably goes without saying, but do not try to use any kind of NPT fitting. They are not suitable for brakes. It pretty much has to be either inverted flare or copper washer.

You've got me interested in this so if you don't get it resolved let me know and I'll go do some parts digging. Also, it's a bummer that a vendor would sell lines that are too short!

Good luck, and stay in touch!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts