Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 93 and there are a few spots in the engine bay bolts, exhaust stuff and frame sections that have a little cosrrosion. I am curious as to what you guys have done to clean and repaint etc the corrosion within your Vette.

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
I have a 93 and there are a few spots in the engine bay bolts, exhaust stuff and frame sections that have a little cosrrosion. I am curious as to what you guys have done to clean and repaint etc the corrosion within your Vette.
I ran the Bonneville Salt flats, my entire undercarriage is currently corroded. But, the car is slammed so no one will see it.

Unless I flip it. :laughing:

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ran the Bonneville Salt flats, my entire undercarriage is currently corroded. But, the car is slammed so no one will see it.

Unless I flip it. :laughing:
Well we dont want you flipping it!
Did the salt eat through the coatings and paint?

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Did the salt eat through the coatings and paint?
Not in the least. But, salt hitting the paint at 177 mph sure removed paint!

The aluminum under the car is "stained" and blotchy from the salt. It's not a big deal, I'm heading back to the salt flats in August again anyway. :laughing:

As for paint, you sure worry more about acid rain and bird crap. :laughing:

As for parts/bolts/fasteners under the hood, remove them and buff them with a wire wheel, they'll look like chrome when you are done. I've done this with many bolts as we've removed them to fix broken parts. :laughing:

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not in the least. But, salt hitting the paint at 177 mph sure removed paint!

The aluminum under the car is "stained" and blotchy from the salt. It's not a big deal, I'm heading back to the salt flats in August again anyway. :laughing:

As for paint, you sure worry more about acid rain and bird crap. :laughing:

As for parts/bolts/fasteners under the hood, remove them and buff them with a wire wheel, they'll look like chrome when you are done. I've done this with many bolts as we've removed them to fix broken parts. :laughing:
The rain here carrys volcanic ash, and the wter is full of crap. If you accidently park your car next to a sprinkler system, it will put water spots on you quickly. Hawaii has develpoed MX7 (I think thats what it is) that takes the water spots off very fast and it is very easy to use.
But, I am not in the rust bucket concern, just wondering how people combat simple corossion etc in their Vettes.

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
The rain here carrys volcanic ash, and the wter is full of crap. If you accidently park your car next to a sprinkler system, it will put water spots on you quickly. Hawaii has develpoed MX7 (I think thats what it is) that takes the water spots off very fast and it is very easy to use.
But, I am not in the rust bucket concern, just wondering how people combat simple corossion etc in their Vettes.
For paint, I recommend a real wax product. You'll need to wax frequently as wax only lasts a few washings. Also, the hot sun will just cook it and it'll separate. I know what you mean about the sprinklers, had that happen at a hotel... came out the next morning and the waterspots were like rock. I had no wax on the car, took 2 hours to buff it out! :surprised

·
Registered
512 Posts
I have been surprised at how well "rust converters" work on my truck (that gets driven in the winter on salted roads). I use one made by Locktite and it seems to turn rust into a coating that, so far, looks like it will protect the frame from further damage. I have no idea how it works.

Patrick, I took my old Dodge 4wd out onto the salt flats in the 80's. Not racing, just me and my girlfriend looking for some fun on a trip out west. Well, when I got out of the truck after a few miles and saw the salt caked up under the wheel wells. Took the truck to a car wash and cleaned off all the salt. Long story short: two years later that truck was DUST! The bottoms of the doors were gone:surprised

Now, truth be told, it was a Dodge so it probably would have reverted to iron oxide anyway:laughing:

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts