Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
DC Crew
Joined
·
53,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the stock exhaust on the GS... it was as quiet as a Buick.

So, I cut the mufflers off and installed eliminators. Which, I liked alot... except for one thing... I couldn't hear my cell phone ring... nor could I feel it vibrate.

So, I bought Corsa's. It's a good looking exhaust system... but sounds kind of thin and not very intimidating... and although I could hear the phone ring... it wasn't easy to carry on a conversation. So, screw the phone!

Instead of scrapping the Corsa's.... I am getting them "Monster Garaged".

The system will be disconnected in the rear, and the mufflers will come down. Then, the top of the muffler will get cut off, and the guts of the Corsa muffler removed entirely. While we are at it, the second exhaust tip on each muffler will become functional.

Then, the top will be welded back on, and then everything re-installed under the car.

You'd never notice the work was done, because you can't see the top of the mufflers.
:thumbsup:

I'll have the loudest Corsa's out there!
 

·
DC Crew
Joined
·
53,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
84 GRANDSPORT said:
Wont gutting the muffler cause back pressure issues?:huh:
I believe the Corsa's are more restrictive than the factory exhaust. I can prove it with the fact that after installing I've consistently lost a tenth in the 1/4 mile.

With the eliminators I might have lost a little torque, but it breathed much better at high-RPM.
 

·
Official Forklift Driver
Joined
·
7,068 Posts
Did you contact Corsa and discuss this issue?

They advertise a 42% increase in flow over what I suppose is stock. If anything you should have gained a tenth. I did when I scrapped the stock "performance" muffler and put on the Ultra Flows.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
0 Posts
War Machine said:
Did you contact Corsa and discuss this issue?

They advertise a 42% increase in flow over what I suppose is stock. If anything you should have gained a tenth.
:agree: I bet you lost a tenth because of bald tires!:D
 

·
DC Crew
Joined
·
53,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
War Machine said:
Did you contact Corsa and discuss this issue?

They advertise a 42% increase in flow over what I suppose is stock. If anything you should have gained a tenth. I did when I scrapped the stock "performance" muffler and put on the Ultra Flows.
No offense, but I have better things to do then get in a tit-for-tat with Corsa and their ridiculous claims.

I gained nothing, and lost some. Not a single performance benefit.:down:
 

·
Official Forklift Driver
Joined
·
7,068 Posts
I'd at least call and try to get my $$$ back. :thumbsup:

I forgot, they are Corsa, add an extra $ to that. :D

If your mind is made up to "Monster" 'em then go for it. You going to take photos? I want to see the "Monster" pics and the audio. ;)
 

·
DC Crew
Joined
·
53,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
War Machine said:
I'd at least call and try to get my $$$ back. :thumbsup:

I forgot, they are Corsa, add an extra $ to that. :D

If your mind is made up to "Monster" 'em then go for it. You going to take photos? I want to see the "Monster" pics and the audio. ;)
I'll monster-photographic! Patrick and his group of maverick mechanics will hack and slash their way to a LOUD exhaust!
 
T

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
The louder the better.

On the add on stuff topic, I went to a dyno event and everyone had these sheets in the dash that told all the stuff they did. You know 5 hp this and 4.7 hp that and big stuff like 20 hp exhaust.

The modded cars were set together and us poor stockers were kind of off to the side.

On the dyno, most made less power than the stockers. Except for the LG Motorsports car. The ones that made more power (5 or 10hp) were definately not worth voiding a warranty over.
 

·
DC Crew
Joined
·
53,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tour18 said:
The louder the better.

On the add on stuff topic, I went to a dyno event and everyone had these sheets in the dash that told all the stuff they did. You know 5 hp this and 4.7 hp that and big stuff like 20 hp exhaust.

The modded cars were set together and us poor stockers were kind of off to the side.

On the dyno, most made less power than the stockers. Except for the LG Motorsports car. The ones that made more power (5 or 10hp) were definately not worth voiding a warranty over.
So... you were saying that some of the modded guys had less power than the stockers?

I believe that. I saw some C5's at a dyno with some bolt-on LS1 mods running 288 RWHP, while the stock cars were running 299-305ish. $3000 in mods to sound louder by go slower.
 
T

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Oh yeah. Definately a do mods, loose power display, live before the whole world.

With 3000 miles I was at 359hp/343tq on the ground. In fact three stock '02 Z06s were almost EXACTLY the same. There were other lots of other cars there in the high 200s.

Granted the LS6 is "405", but we all know what stuff costs. And if I had an 8 1/2" x 11" sheet of paper full of stuff I had done and all I could do was ZERO, I wouldn't want a bunch of fellow Vette drivers watching.

There was one '02 Z06 there that had a LONG list of stuff, cut up airbox, all that nonsense. It was like he was expected to be the star of the show. He was at like 325hp on the ground. Really embarrassing.

One thing that a non Vette friend noticed, above all else, is that no one made a single comment about all the mods not making a bit of difference. Pretty cool (gearhead) bunch of guys everyone was...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Patrick96LT4 said:
I believe the Corsa's are more restrictive than the factory exhaust. I can prove it with the fact that after installing I've consistently lost a tenth in the 1/4 mile.

With the eliminators I might have lost a little torque, but it breathed much better at high-RPM.
:agree: I run the same times with my Corsa as I did with eliminators. However, I did lose about 2mph in the 1/4.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Is the diameter of the pipes 2 3/4 inch? As I am looking at a cat back for my LT4. I noticed Corsa has a system for the 96 year only LT1 and LT4. Please dyno before and after you do this as want a better sound than the factory Corsa makes but I do not want to LOOSE power or Torque. Good Luck and let us know.:thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
mmmmmm.......

Corsa and B&B made very fast exhaust mufflers.......better you use long tube headers and remove the kat.........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
379 Posts
patrickme and you have hte exact same engine and i have muffler eliminaters on mine and i can hear the phone just fine! at cruising speed it doesnt sound much louder than stock... i really have to get on it to make it loud.... like was mentioned before the mufflers are NOT what makes these cars quite. im not sure why your was so much louder thann mine, im a little confused... but to be fair i have not ridden in a car with corsas. i would like to do so someday
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top