Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my '08 C-6 on 8-11-07. (I wonder why I waited so long to get a car I've wanted since high school...I'm in my early 50's now).

I am strongly thinking of adding a Corsa Touring exhaust and was wondering if anyone has experience with this exhaust (likes/dislikes, etc). I was also thinking about adding the "x-pipe" to the exhaust but I am a bit unsure as to what it does and again if anyone out there has any experience (good or bad) with the x-pipe.

DC is an incredible organization. I've had my car on order since May and have learned about DC thru my dealership. I read lots of postings and continue to learn lots. Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Congratulations on your new C6! Better late than never, eh? I have the corsa touring exhaust and find it to be very aggressive and quite conspicuous. Its marketed to be less aggressive than the sports exhaust, but frankly it was a bit much for me at first, but now I absolutely love it, especially now that I had a cam put in as well. You cant go wrong with that exhaust and x pipe and would really awaken the car with some headers too- probably some 30+ hp with those alone. Best of luck and enjoy!

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
You might want to hear what the Corsa Touring and the Sport system sound like before you make your pick.
I've had the Touring on my C5 and thought it was to mild and on my Z06 I had the Pace car system on that one,Awesome sound:devil:
On my C6 I have the Sport system and wish it was a little louder:thumbsup:
Just my .02

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
do you plan on doing headers in the future?
because if you do most companies you can get the x pipe with it

other then that I personally wouldn't spend the extra money on a x pipe

·
Registered
237 Posts
I just picked up my '08 C-6 on 8-11-07. (I wonder why I waited so long to get a car I've wanted since high school...I'm in my early 50's now).

I am strongly thinking of adding a Corsa Touring exhaust and was wondering if anyone has experience with this exhaust (likes/dislikes, etc). I was also thinking about adding the "x-pipe" to the exhaust but I am a bit unsure as to what it does and again if anyone out there has any experience (good or bad) with the x-pipe.

DC is an incredible organization. I've had my car on order since May and have learned about DC thru my dealership. I read lots of postings and continue to learn lots. Thanks for any help anyone can give me.
Man you sound like me. But you're a step ahead of me. I haven't ordered mine yet. Ordered in May and just got it beginning of Aug.... Dayum! I never had to wait for a car like that. It'll be hard.

I guess you didn't go for the NPP dual note exhaust.

I didn't notice where you are located (edit:now I looked - I see Colorado, hmmm....) but Corvettes in Carlisle is weekend after next and I know Corsa will be there doing installs and will have 08s with their exhaust on them for you to listen to. If you could make it and have the time, that would be an awesome way to make up your mind.

Good luck. Hope to be joining you soon.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I would suggest you actually take a ride in a C6 that has both the touring and sport systems installed as I did. I personally found the touring system too much like the stock system --- thus I ordered the sport system. As for an X-pipe .... ask yourself, do you want your corvette making a "popping" sound when you let off the gas or down shift ? --- an X-pipe eliminates this popping sound.

( the popping sound is created because the new system reduces the back pressure.... because of the reduced back pressure, the H-pipe ( stock ) cannot balance the pressure between the pipes and thus the popping sound.... an X-pipe creates a better balance and eleminates the pop )

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
I would suggest you actually take a ride in a C6 that has both the touring and sport systems installed as I did. I personally found the touring system too much like the stock system --- thus I ordered the sport system. As for an X-pipe .... ask yourself, do you want your corvette to make a "popping" sound when you let off the gas or down shift ? --- an X-pipe eliminates this popping sound.

( the popping sound is created because the new system reduces the back pressure.... because of the reduced back pressure, the H-pipe ( stock ) cannot balance the pressure between the pipes and thus the popping sound.... an X-pipe creates a better balance and eleminates the pop )
you make the pop sound like its a bad thing:laughing: i love the way it sounds:devil:

·
Registered
548 Posts
Different stokes for different folks, I guess. I personally like a smooth deep rumble rather than the sound "jiffy-pop" popcorn comming out the back end...

But that is just me ....:laughing:

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
:laughing: :laughing:
true but ive only noticed it while cruzing and then letting off the gas for a while
but like you said everyone has their opinions even though i have lg pros that came with the x pipe and i still get it so you might want to reconsider if thats the reason your doing it :cheers:

·
Registered
477 Posts
I love the popping sound! currently just have CAI, bullets, but ordered Kooks longtubes + hi-flo cats w/X-pipe will I still have the popping sound? or just a little diminished?:thumbsup:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to all for the great info. I'll definately listen to both exhausts before I buy one. And thanks especially for the info on the X pipe.

Enjoy the ride all of you!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had the same dilemma. I went with the Corsa Sport exhaust no X pipe and absolutely love the sound. I think the popping sound is cool, it only pops if you are for example in 1rst and you rev it to 5k RPM and let off the gas. It does not pop when driving normally. I do however wish it were louder. If you are going to install headers do not get the X pipe because most headers come with one. I am ordering LG long tubes with no cats that should louden it up a little :surprised

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
I love the popping sound! currently just have CAI, bullets, but ordered Kooks longtubes + hi-flo cats w/X-pipe will I still have the popping sound? or just a little diminished?:thumbsup:
to me its almost the same amount the poping sounds just a little muffled and the only time i usually hear it is if im on the expressway going say 70 and i slow down to 60 after about about 3-5 seconds the popping starts:devil:

·
Registered
20 Posts
You don't have to make a decision about the X-pipe because your
2008 already has it. I know, I was looking at my 2008 and sure enough
it is an X-pipe! I was going to put my Magnaflow system on from my
06 and was thinking I don't need the whole system now, just the
mufflers. Hope this helps. Glad to see someone else in their 50's
enjoying having a new Vette!

·
Registered
97 Posts
You should try and listen to some different exhausts before buying. I bought Corsa Sport and only had them on my '07 for a week or 2. Not the sound I was looking for. Went with Borla Stingers----muscle car sound and a lot lighter weight than the Corsa's. :thumbsup: Both are high quality systems. Just comes down to personal preference.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you have an 08 you already have a factory X pipe.

I just installed a Corsa Sport along with my factory X pipe and it sounds great. I bought a new complete touring system on E Bay but after talking to the guys at Corsa I only installed the mufflers (that makes it a Sport System). They advised me to try just the mufflers first because it is very easy to add the rest of the touring stuff later. I took their advise and I am glad I did; I am now going to leave it as a Sport system.

This is the 08 factory X pipe (mine didn't have the npp exhaust option even though it is written on the X pipe):

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Qualt, thanks for going to the trouble of the photo of the x-pipe. Is your's an automatic or a manual trans?

I continue to be amazed at the great quality info received on Digital Corvettes.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Qualt, thanks for going to the trouble of the photo of the x-pipe. Is your's an automatic or a manual trans?

I continue to be amazed at the great quality info received on Digital Corvettes.

Thanks, but it wasn't much trouble because I already had the photo on file.

As for your question, mine is a manual trans (so we are seeing the clutch through the holes in the bottom of the bell housing).

And I agree about the good info as I have also learned a lot from this group. :cheers:

·
Registered
197 Posts
If you have an 08 you already have a factory X pipe.

I just installed a Corsa Sport along with my factory X pipe and it sounds great. I bought a new complete touring system on E Bay but after talking to the guys at Corsa I only installed the mufflers (that makes it a Sport System). They advised me to try just the mufflers first because it is very easy to add the rest of the touring stuff later. I took their advise and I am glad I did; I am now going to leave it as a Sport system.

This is the 08 factory X pipe (mine didn't have the npp exhaust option even though it is written on the X pipe):

Qualt: THANKS for the info, I asked the Corsa reps at Carlisle if the 2008 needed the X pipe, I got two different answers. I then went down to the GM tent and spoke to the engineers from Bowling Greene. I spoke with one engineer, I think his name was Tom Wilkes, they did not know the answer to my question " does the 08 have an X-pipe or an h-pipe" after some checking and a phone call back to the plant he finally said ALL 2008 models are shipped with an x-pipe. He did not seem 100% sure, but I thanked him and moved on. But your response to the thread answers the question with complete certainity. Thanks. It saves the 08 buyer about $450 bucks not having to buy the x-pipe. BTW I purchased the new Corsa Xtreme cat back system at the show (due to a great show price) and will install it when I receive my 08. I currently have the Sport system on my 02 coupe. Corsa brought an 08 Coupe to the show with an Xtreme system on it, so people could hear it. Deep growl at idle and a little more agressive, when you "jump" on it, but no interior resonance and I think it sounded GREAT! Thanks again!

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have the Corsa Sport on my C6. I ordered a new Corsa Extreme which will be here tomorrow. The Extreme has a more aggressive muscle car sound.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts