Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Where do you feel the Corvette is on the food chain today? In the past, it seems the Corvette would raise the bar on performance and others would play catch up. Today we have blown Stangs giving many of us a good run, the foreign cars have narrowed the performance gap and Pick up trucks can hit the 12’s! What do you think the General is going to do next? Sure they are selling a ton of Vettes, but they sold a ton of f-bodys too……..:confused:

Is GM holding back on us?????

When I say competition, I mean similar cars, similar price range and similar performance range. I am not talking about the guy who stuck a blue bottle on his Pinto, (you know what I mean)……..
I am talking about:

The bag in the M3.
The Grandpa in the Viper
The punk in the Cobra
The geek in the Supra
The yuppie in the Z4
The pin head in the 350 Z (well, maybe?)
The snob in the Boxter
And many others………….
(no sterotypes intended,….. well maybe);) :D

Now, I have ALWAYS HAVE and ALWAYS WILL be a Vette freak, but are we losing ground or gaining ground on the competition? Just some friendly discussion intended between Corvette Owners here.

P.S. (my flame suite statement): I actually do like All of the cars I listed, but I OWN a Vette.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,710 Posts
Good question Don. A lot will depend on how the C6 is when it comes out. I don't think GM will get into a HP war with the Viper or the other 500+ hp cars that are availale (AMG MB). Comparing some of the cars you listed(Boxster or Z4) is comparing apples to oranges in my opinion. Those are lighter, less powerful cars more in the vein of the older British sports cars.

In my opinion the Vette is below the true exotics such as Ferrari's and Lambo's, tied with the Vipers, 911 Turbos and above the others you mentioned. That is for stock cars, if you start modding any car it could be as quick or handle as good as a vette if you throw enough money at it.

I would like to see GM come out with a limited edition C6 with 550+ hp, fewer creature comforts (no power seats, power windows, cloth interior, no cruise, no HUD), Brembo brakes, etc. A truly race ready car from the factory. That would be a good halo car for the Corvette line.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
256 Posts
I think unfortunately, we are holding ground....:( The other cars are getting faster, and although still ugly, they're getting better looking... The Vette is holding steady. GM's idea of an engine package is to "tune" the base engine. LT1/LT4 and LS1/LS6... SC or another run of turbo's would be nice. Or perhaps a vette w/ a different engine ala the LT5. The Vette isn't getting worse, it's just not improving year to year like the others seem to be.
 

·
DC Crew
Joined
·
53,222 Posts
Don, I think it is lonely at the top.

I am happiest when there are plenty of faster factory cars, better handling cars, with higher build quality.

I think the Corvette is the defacto American icon of cars. And, the heritage and Corvette family experience make it more than a car. Similar to the Harley Davidson.

But, what I love the most about the Corvette... or the one I own specifically... is because I give it high ratings in all categories (power, braking, looks, comfort, affordability, and made in the USA).

And, it's the "combo" that makes this car great. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess I would be satisfied if they would put out a (lower production) special edition killer with a higher price and viper topping acceleration from the factory.

I think they have made GREAT improvements to refining, comfort and handling to the current line, but I want to see a Factory Monster Vette that whips the Vipers and Porches and the exotics in acceleration, even if the cost is 80K+.

The Rich guys can buy them and I can drool…….and start saving my pennies for one.:D
 

·
DC Crew
Joined
·
53,222 Posts
ZR_Don said:
I guess I would be satisfied if they would put out a (lower production) special edition killer with a higher price and viper topping acceleration from the factory.

I think they have made GREAT improvements to refining, comfort and handling to the current line, but I want to see a Factory Monster Vette that whips the Vipers and Porches and the exotics in acceleration, even if the cost is 80K+.

The Rich guys can buy them and I can drool…….and start saving my pennies for one.:D
Doesn't the Z06 have better road course lap times then the viper and porsche?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
525 Posts
ZR_Don said:
I guess I would be satisfied if they would put out a (lower production) special edition killer with a higher price and viper topping acceleration from the factory.

I think they have made GREAT improvements to refining, comfort and handling to the current line, but I want to see a Factory Monster Vette that whips the Vipers and Porches and the exotics in acceleration, even if the cost is 80K+.

The Rich guys can buy them and I can drool…….and start saving my pennies for one.:D
What he said !!!!

I too wish that GM would built a kick-ass machine.
The Corvette has been an American icon for 50 YEARS - It's time for GM to give it the "Baddest Dog On The Block" attitude as well.
 

·
Supporting Vendor
Joined
·
152 Posts
I think that GM should come out with A special edition
C6 that has A mid engine design,and the motor should be an LT5.


The motor should be built with A 4 inch bore,bigger valves,titanium valves,titanium retainers,titanium
springs,titanium rods,and composite intake/plenum.

The gear box should make A distinctive sound,like the
Ferrari's have not the same but some what similiar.
The body should scream Exotic,stream lined for better
coefficiancy.

I can go on forever,but hey there just dreams for know.






:D
 
O

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
ALZR1 said:
I think that GM should come out with A special edition
C6 that has A mid engine design,and the motor should be an LT5.


The motor should be built with A 4 inch bore,bigger valves,titanium valves,titanium retainers,titanium
springs,titanium rods,and composite intake/plenum.

The gear box should make A distinctive sound,like the
Ferrari's have not the same but some what similiar.
The body should scream Exotic,stream lined for better
coefficiancy.

I can go on forever,but hey there just dreams for know.
:D
That is quite a list! I'd like to see a "normal" corvette.... and a screamer like when they came out with the ZR1, Callaway, LT4, and Z06...

And, it would be nice to have 3 engine choices, and to be able to buy a "stripped" Corvette that has no radio, air conditioning, no power seats... big brakes... etc... and it would be white. Then you can paint it and race it that day!

What do you think about that?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,158 Posts
Corvette and the Competition I don't worry much about. I bought both cars knowing that someone could pull next to me and wipe me all over the pavement but I would still be driving a Corvette. When I'm driving the Z06 I worry less but someone/someday with a car with heavy mods will outrun my Z06 but I'll still have the Corvette. I'll buy a Corvette because it's a Corvette and not because the Competition has a .1 second better in the 0 to 60 times.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
ZR_Don said:

The bag in the M3.
The Grandpa in the Viper
The punk in the Cobra
The geek in the Supra
The yuppie in the Z4
The pin head in the 350 Z (well, maybe?)
The snob in the Boxter
And many others………….
(no sterotypes intended,….. well maybe);) :D

Now, I have ALWAYS HAVE and ALWAYS WILL be a Vette freak, but are we losing ground or gaining ground on the competition? Just some friendly discussion intended between Corvette Owners here.

P.S. (my flame suite statement): I actually do like All of the cars I listed, but I OWN a Vette.
What type of guys/gals have Audi's? I didn't see it on the list :lol:
 
Z

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Re: Re: Corvette and the competition: Your thoughts?

KickAsp said:
What type of guys/gals have Audi's? I didn't see it on the list :lol:
Audi guys are Punk Azzes! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,033 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Corvette and the competition: Your thoughts?

ZX1100 said:
Audi guys are Punk Azzes! :D
:D tru dat! :D

I think competition is healthy! If the Corvette wants to stay America's premier sports car, they need to have other manufacturers breathing down their next. Keeps Chevy motivated to stay "on top".

Dennis, Vipers don't count. :rolleyes: :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
When is the C6 suppose to come out?

It seems to me that GM has always come out with a few goodies before the next switch in body styles. With that in mind I am hopeful they can come thorough with something crazy Special Edition and 500+ HP for us Vette fans!
 

·
DC Crew
Joined
·
53,222 Posts
ZR_Don said:
When is the C6 suppose to come out?

It seems to me that GM has always come out with a few goodies before the next switch in body styles. With that in mind I am hopeful they can come thorough with something crazy Special Edition and 500+ HP for us Vette fans!
They have already disclosed there will be a Z15 and Z16 C5 corvette model next year, and it will have collector leather interior.

In 1996 the Z15 and Z16 were the Collector Edition and the Grand Sport.

What do you think they'll do for the last hurrah? Maybe a one-of-a-kind motor like the LT4 was....?

Something has to spur sales with the C6 coming out, and being introduced 1 year from now at an autoshow (forget the name)...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
142 Posts
ZR_Don said:
I guess I would be satisfied if they would put out a (lower production) special edition killer with a higher price and viper topping acceleration from the factory.

I think they have made GREAT improvements to refining, comfort and handling to the current line, but I want to see a Factory Monster Vette that whips the Vipers and Porches and the exotics in acceleration, even if the cost is 80K+.

The Rich guys can buy them and I can drool…….and start saving my pennies for one.:D
The rich guys are buying those expensive other cars because most of them have not learned true value. Why should we change the way the Corvette has evolved. Where else can you buy a car that has this kind of performance a winning record great handling and pretty good gas mileage for this kind of bang for the buck. And you won't have to save as many pennies for one..;)
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top