Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Corvette C6: Bodykit Possibilities

I’m a Professional Automotive Designer, and I’m considering creating a bodykit for the Corvette C6. The body has excellent curvature, and I love the lines, so I think I can make something that will look extremely exotic.

I will be designing the kit myself, but what I am looking for is feedback from all of you. If you have any thoughts about the new C6, please share them. Share what you like, dislike, want changed, want left alone, or any thoughts you have about the new C6.

I do my work in 3D modeling software, so we’ll all be able to see realistic previews of what the kit could look like, and I’ll be able to easily change many aspects of the design quickly and easily.

My goal is to create a bodykit design (or more than one) that is untouchable in style both style and quality. I’ve got plenty of time to tweak this kit to perfection, and I should be able to release the kit soon after the release of the C6.

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
If I had a C6, the first thing I'd be looking for cosmetically would be a wide body kit and a revised rear bumper that didn't look hacked off...maybe a little more like the C5. JMO

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
A wide body kit could be really cool. That would give me a lot more room to play with. The only problem is it would cost more(more panels to replace, plus the wheel modifications), and the market for those tends to be a lot smaller. I do have the option to design both, so if there is enough interest in a wide body kit, I may do one.

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
GryphonAuto said:
A wide body kit could be really cool. That would give me a lot more room to play with. The only problem is it would cost more(more panels to replace, plus the wheel modifications), and the market for those tends to be a lot smaller. I do have the option to design both, so if there is enough interest in a wide body kit, I may do one.
You are correct on the market aspect (at least if you're using teh C5 market as a reference point), however the C6 is noticeably more narrow than the C5 so it might be a little more prosperous. A kit that would contour the wells to fit the wheels better might also be a great idea. I know the front clip is a big downpoint for a lot of enthusiasts just because of the fact that the plate will proabbly look like @ss once you mount it....something with an integrated front plate?

I also say, look into making the widebody panels out of carbon fiber. I doubt this will be feasible, but some of these corvette owners are pretty spendy when it comes to their babies!:cheers:

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know I can do carbon fiber, but that would also be a bit more expensive. A possibility is I could do the following:

Bodykit 1
Parts Included: Front Bumper, Rear Bumper, Sideskirts
Relative Price: Relatively Low
Style Description: Flows with existing panels, smooth, exotic
Build Description: Maintains existing proportions, PFRP

Bodykit 2
Parts Included: Front Bumper, Rear Bumper, Sideksirts, Front Fenders, Rear Fenders, Hood
Relative Price: Expensive
Style Description: It matches corvette styling, but may do so in a unexpected way. Wider longer look, more muscular, extremely exotic
Build Description: Extensive modification, Carbon Fiber

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The “Mouth” (front bumper)
You can count on me doing something different with that for both bodykits. I’m currently thinking a smooth an exotic mouth that is aggressive, but clean.

Wide Body Fenders (Bodykit 2)
Chances are I’ll show all of you what it looks like in multiple states, but I think flared out fenders may look a little bit weird on the C6. I could do the front Bumper and Sideskirts to match the flared out fenders, which would help. Take a look at widebody BMW’s with flared out fenders to see what I’m talking about. It would probably make it look more like a racecar, but it may not be too pretty. I don’t doubt that I can make it look good, I just think I can do better. I’m doing this for all of you, so I’ll let you guys decide when you see some examples.

I don’t like most widebody kits that I see that don’t flare the fenders, so don’t be surprised if I offer you something more unique, smoother, and cleaner than you’re used to seeing. The kits I usually see which don’t flare the fenders tend to be really sloppy where the kit meets the door.

If someone is going to be doing an extensive bodykit, I’m curious how practical it would be to replace the door panels. I know it isn’t very common.

Starting the 3D…
I do have other projects at the moment which won’t allow me to do this fulltime, but I should be able to make some decent progress fairly quickly. Does anyone have a detailed set of dimensions for the car? Also, some high resolution pictures of the front, side, back and top would be helpful.

What would be awesome, but unlikely, is if someone has some blueprint style diagrams of the car. If anyone knows of any companies that are going to be making a plastic models, those tend to mostly accurate diagrams in the instructions where it tells you how to paint the model. Since I doubt anyone has any blueprints of the car I’ll have to 3D model this by sight. It isn’t fun, but I’ve done it before and the model turned out really nicely.

·
Registered
4 Posts
How about some hood options?!

Maybe as part of a body kit or by itself to better express some personality/style in the front?!

Just a thought......:excited:

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll make sure to check out those pictures.

Hoods
Bodykit 2 will have a custom hood to go along with it. I may do a stand-alone hood which could work well with bodykit 1, or even by itself. You'll notice that the front bumper and hood sort of flow into each other in a way that kind of restricts changes to only one, so I imagine the hood on bodykit 2 will be the most creative.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mid engine c4+c5+c6

I am currently building a mid engine corvette using C4 and C5 mechanicals and incorporating c6 styling.
It is about the same length as a C6 and about 7 inches wider in the rear than the C5.
Just finished mocking up the front clip ...looks like what I imagin the C6R will look like.
Thanks to everyone for all the spy shots...they have really helped in gettin this thing to look like the c6's nasty big brother.

I will post some pics as soon as its looking like something. :D

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Favorite Cars?

Favorite Cars? (non Corvette)
One thing that will help me is to list your favorite cars. If you know specifically what makes them your favorite, please post that, and if there is anything you would change on that car, please post that also. I realize corvette is on most of your lists, but please try to list no more than 5 cars.

I’m not looking to copy features, idea, or styles (I’d be useless as a designer if I did), but this is really useful for me to understand your tastes.

·
Registered
144 Posts
1. 2002 Zonda C12S
2. Saleen S7
3. 2003 Lamborghini Gallardo
4. 2003 Lamborghini Murcielago
5. Ferrari Modena
6. 2003 Honda HSC Concept

Hope that helps.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts
Status