Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had a paint competition over on the Forza Motorsport 3 forums. 7 of the guys plus myself have made replicas of some of the 1988, 89, and 90 Corvette Challenge cars.

Here is a video I made of all the cars. Be sure to watch it in 480p!

Also, here is the thread over at the Forza forums.

http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/forums/thread/4220765.aspx

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Great work. I think if F3 had come out when I was in college I would have taken the time to get good at the livery editor. As it is though with work and family now I just get good at racing and let other people make the liveries for me.:laughing:

On another note. What track is the Yellow Bosch car running on when it passes through the warehouse. I don't think I recognized that track.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On another note. What track is the Yellow Bosch car running on when it passes through the warehouse. I don't think I recognized that track.
It's the Benchmark High Speed Ring

·
Registered
724 Posts
Chris, you aren't even old enough to remember those cars.

The Corvette Club I am in was a host club at both events ('88 & '89) held in St. Petersburg. A year or two after the final race, our club sponsor purchased one of the cars and drove it a few years later in SCCA events that where part of the Trans Am weekends when the GP returned to St Pete. I seem to remember it being the EDS car, but I am not 100% sure on that.
Those were great races to watch although they were only 50 minutes. Do you know the history on how that series came about?

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chris, you aren't even old enough to remember those cars....Do you know the history on how that series came about?
I may be too young to have seen them race, but yes I do know how they came about.

Long story short, the Corvette was dominating the SCCA Showroom Stock GT category and was banned from competition after the 1987 season.

Ever since I learned about these cars I've been very interested in preserving their history and letting people know about them. Thus why I created this paint competition over on the Forza forums.

Not much information about this pre-internet era race series exists.

This website is one of the only with any information. I've tried contacting the owner of the site to no avail. He also has a facebook page.

http://showyourcorvette.com/index.php

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/group.php?gid=70635769277&ref=ts

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1988 #17 TheStigsCousin

1988 #18 TheStig10uk

1988 #22 GATEcrasher13

1989 #1 SETVE Oi

1989 #9 Dark Potchez

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1989 #10 NaughtyChemist

1989 #89 RDX CHEVELLE21

1990 #97 CRjakeFAN (Me)

·
Registered
55 Posts
The Corvette Club I am in was a host club at both events ('88 & '89) held in St. Petersburg. A year or two after the final race, our club sponsor purchased one of the cars and drove it a few years later in SCCA events that where part of the Trans Am weekends when the GP returned to St Pete. I seem to remember it being the EDS car, but I am not 100% sure on that.
Those were great races to watch although they were only 50 minutes. Do you know the history on how that series came about?

TR6speed.......Those races were fantastic. It brings back great memories as I was the crewchief for both EDS cars (Stu Hayner and Scott Lagasse) as well as Al lamb and Tommy Riggins. If you remember the 89 race. Scott had a flat and came in for a tire change. It is the only time any had done that and still won the race. Just luck we got a full yellow to stack the field and he was rocket ship fast. St Pete was a fun street race.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I may be too young to have seen them race, but yes I do know how they came about.

Long story short, the Corvette was dominating the SCCA Showroom Stock GT category and was banned from competition after the 1987 season.
Chris...Your so right. Porsche and Corvettes all raced hard in the Pro SCCA Playboy Challenge (Corvettes winning all for 1986 & 87) and in SCCA Nationals, Corvettes won alot and they thought the Cars were to fast. No more Corvette Class in showroom stock. GM created the Corvette Challene and John Powell in Canada organize and built the racecars.

Chris... You and the others guys created one heck of video. It has been going all around as everone that knows me has been sending it to me from all directions. I watch it over again. Great job to all..:cheers:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts