Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkVge_7y4o8

I thought it was great!!!!

"A young boy dreams of driving his new Corvette...

Chevrolet decided against airing this ad soon after it was shot because they were concerned that people might not realize that it was a dream.
The words "This is a dream. Do not drive without a license" appear in the first few seconds of the commercial but they still decided against airing it.

Dep

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
I guess this marks me as an olde phart, but back in the '50s when I was walking home from school, (we REALLY did that in those daze) it was only about a mile or so, depending on which school/grade.....anyway this vette stopped and offered a ride, it was white.....had a 3 speed, V8 must have been new, and '56 or so....anyway, I was sold, my first car was a '60 vette used of course....it had power windows and power slide 283 WCFB....

ok, what does WCFB stand for???
anyone know what is actually IS???

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,516 Posts
WCFB was a predecessor of the Carter AFB. Is stands for Will Carter Four Barrel after Will Carter, founder of the Carter Carburetor Copmpany

·
Registered
90 Posts
I guess this marks me as an olde phart, but back in the '50s when I was walking home from school, (we REALLY did that in those daze) it was only about a mile or so, depending on which school/grade.....anyway this vette stopped and offered a ride, it was white.....had a 3 speed, V8 must have been new, and '56 or so....anyway, I was sold, my first car was a '60 vette used of course....it had power windows and power slide 283 WCFB....

similar event happened to me Gene. In high school I hitchhiked to school. One day a 62 vert stopped and picked me up. Man what a ride I'll never forget. Then when I worked at a gas station while in college this guy with a beautiful, pearl white, modifued '60 would frequently stop for gas. Had a tunnel ram poking thru the hood. :D After that I was hooked.

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts

I always heard that WCFB stood for White Cast Four Barrel. In fact, we always called those Carter WCFB's (which seems redundant).

I did find one reference to them, though ...

http://www.superchevy.com/features/trifive/m5lp_0701w_1957_chevrolet_history/

but I don't remember WHY they were called "White Cast."

Steven

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
similar event happened to me Gene. In high school I hitchhiked to school. One day a 62 vert stopped and picked me up. Man what a ride I'll never forget. Then when I worked at a gas station while in college this guy with a beautiful, pearl white, modifued '60 would frequently stop for gas. Had a tunnel ram poking thru the hood. :D After that I was hooked.
Len,
So close to my story. Same yaers I am working at a gas station, the head mechanic let me drive his 62 vert w 427 and a stick. Offered it to me for $2000. Dad said no way, you'll kill yourself in that thing. They ran right down and bought me a 73 Ford Courrier for graduation. Course, I had to pay $100 a month for 2 years.:rolling:

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Thats going to be a classic:cheers:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Len,
So close to my story. Same yaers I am working at a gas station, the head mechanic let me drive his 62 vert w 427 and a stick. Offered it to me for $2000. Dad said no way, you'll kill yourself in that thing. They ran right down and bought me a 73 Ford Courrier for graduation. Course, I had to pay $100 a month for 2 years.:rolling:
Yeah, those were the days. 427 Chevelles, I once saw a 454 Monte Carlo, rode in a 440 Road Runner, Olds 442, '67 GTO convert etc. I was driving a used '67 Firebird formula 400 during college. My first car though was a '67 Beetle, hot-rodded of course with headers, Weber carbs, fender flares, over sized tires w/Cragers. :D

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
"white cast" = pot metal

Well, YES, and NO actually.....the way it's esplained to ME is that the term pot metal means most any lo melting temp metal in a odd mix that's CHEEP and pours into a mold easy....paying allmost no attention to the exact combo, as it wasn't important.....

the carbs were cast white metal allright, almost pure aluminum, my understanding.....it is 'white metal....'.....but not 'pot' metal....

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
Yeah, those were the days. 427 Chevelles, I once saw a 454 Monte Carlo, rode in a 440 Road Runner, Olds 442, '67 GTO convert etc. I was driving a used '67 Firebird formula 400 during college. My first car though was a '67 Beetle, hot-rodded of course with headers, Weber carbs, fender flares, over sized tires w/Cragers. :D

Yuppers, I remember an olde tyme buddy who went to college in Athens Alabama , late 60's....and him being a MOPAR guy naturally met up with....

you guessed it....serious.....Billy Bob Jones......now Billy Bob was sort of a local legend.....

took Larry for a ride through the blue ridge mountains type territory....

back when NO guard rails, just a 2 lane mountain road....NO interstates....

turns out Billy Bob seriously knew the roads......

he was a GENUINE moonshine runner, as in Bob Mitchum tank car....

440 magnum powered of course.....

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Well, YES, and NO actually.....the way it's esplained to ME is that the term pot metal means most any lo melting temp metal in a odd mix that's CHEEP and pours into a mold easy....paying allmost no attention to the exact combo, as it wasn't important.....

the carbs were cast white metal allright, almost pure aluminum, my understanding.....it is 'white metal....'.....but not 'pot' metal....
Webster;
"white metal" Any light colored alloy, esp. those containing pewter,lead, or tin.

I dunno Gene, I am still on the fence on this one.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
a banned commercial? Dep are you in it? :laughing: :rolling:

·
Registered
27 Posts
dep, going back to the subject of your thread...my comment is that today there is less and less space left for dreams and even commercials must be political correct and full of disclaimers (dont do this and dont do that), furthermore a child who dreams of a car must have been seen by the experts :crazy: as a bad example of future ideal consumer...that's why they preferred to get rid of the commercial altogether.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts