Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A patient of mine sent me these pics he took of a Corvette concept car at the Dallas car show. Uh.....wow!

·
Super Moderator
10,129 Posts
I hope this is just a bad dream...GM can't be serious :WTF
Don't you ever go to the movies? :)

This is the Sideswipe from the Transformer movies. When have you known GM to place a future version of a PRODUCTION vehile into a movie that thousands will see, 3-4 years prior to the relase of that design on a production vehicle? Answer: Never.

There could be a styling cue or two incorporated into the C7, but Sideswipe is not the C7.

·
Registered
79 Posts
This styling exercise has a lot of drama, no doubt. But it's garrish, awkward, wrenching, albeit interesting. She catches my eye like a lady of the night, brazenly arresting my attention. I am compelled to look her up one side, and down the other. After consideration, it is clear that she commands my attention only for her brashness, but not really for her beauty. After considering her lines, I'm not interested, I shudder, and move on. :laughing:

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, OC Vic, you've got me interested. Now I want to hear the rest of the story.:laughing:

·
Super Moderator
10,129 Posts
This styling exercise has a lot of drama, no doubt. But it's garrish, awkward, wrenching, albeit interesting. She catches my eye like a lady of the night, brazenly arresting my attention. I am compelled to look her up one side, and down the other. After consideration, it is clear that she commands my attention only for her brashness, but not really for her beauty. After considering her lines, I'm not interested, I shudder, and move on. :laughing:
Wow! Sounds like you have a lot of experiance picking out hookers! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Seriously, I get your point. I keep looking for that new design that will send my heart jumping as high as the first time I saw the C2 on the cover of Motor Trend in the fall of '62. This one didn't do that at all with me. However, I have warmed to some of the cues, and I could see a softened, less radical version of the rear go into production.

MOST importantly, I applaud the atempt. No, I give the radical-ness of the design a standing ovation. Although the C4 was a fine looking design, it was an extremely pedestrian look that followed the two radical-for-there-time swaigns of the C2 & C3. The C5, though beautiful, was clearly an evolved C4 design. The C6 though, I think, even better looking than the C5, is still pedestrian. Let's hope the C7 can find that thin line that is "Radical Beauty" like the C2 and the C3.

·
DC Crew
20,699 Posts
I could see a softened, less radical version of the rear go into production.

MOST importantly, I applaud the atempt. No, I give the radical-ness of the design a standing ovation.
Agree and COMPLETELY AGREE. :thumbsup:

I feel DIFFERENT/UNIQUE is important to putting some excitement into Corvette that goes beyond just horsepower bumps. Corvette has performance nailed, time create a lasting vibe in the exterior/interior side.

·
Banned
6,201 Posts
Don't you ever go to the movies? :)

This is the Sideswipe from the Transformer movies. When have you known GM to place a future version of a PRODUCTION vehile into a movie that thousands will see, 3-4 years prior to the relase of that design on a production vehicle? Answer: Never.

There could be a styling cue or two incorporated into the C7, but Sideswipe is not the C7.

Er, excuse me ..but the CHEVY CAMARO !! It was on Transformers over two years before it was in production..

·
Registered
2 Posts
I for one, would not by that thing...:rolleyes:
By saying "by that thing" I hope you mean you wouldn't pass it by ;-)

Personally, I'd take the front end of the C5 with the rear and mid of the C6 ( which I've pretty much modified my C5 to look like ). I'm just pumped that GM *may* do something radical with the C7. The last time I was really excited about a GM car (forgive me, and this is seriously dating me) was the rear of the '78 TA with the fully blacked-out and smooth tail light design. I despised the funky front fascia (but the poster I had was from the rear.) If the C7 can at least have a hint of radicalism it could re-ignite the Corvette fantasy - and that would be a good thing.

One other small point. You'd be surprised at the drag coefficients of some designs. "Looking" smooth doesn't always translate into good aerodynamics and the converse. Look at the F-117A. Many scientists at the time didn't think it could fly even under complete computer control, so just a gentle nudge that what looks like a box - might just fly like a box kite.

·
DC Pit Crew
11,957 Posts
Personally, I'd take the front end of the C5 with the rear and mid of the C6 ( which I've pretty much modified my C5 to look like ).
post some pictures

·
Registered
2 Posts
post some pictures
I have to pry them out of my phone. When I locate the cable I'll get it done. It essentially has the black-out area around the exhaust aka C6.

I am looking now to trick out the exhaust and I'm seriously considering 4 SuperTrapps - now that is something you don't see every day (ever, actually). :D

·
Super Moderator
10,129 Posts
Er, excuse me ..but the CHEVY CAMARO !! It was on Transformers over two years before it was in production..
Yes, and before that movie, that Camaro was a show car that, after a hot reception, GM announced would go into production. The production Camaro is about 95+% the same as the show car. Even much of the interior touches made it into production. All of this was known PRIOR to the movie.

GM would NOT release the C7 via a Movie two plus years prior to production. The Sideswipe is not streetable. Look at the front of the car. The Corvette would go from having one of the lowest coefficient of drag in production to one of the worst. This is a fun concept they made available for the movie, that likely has a few styling cues that will be softened and included in the C7. The multi plane rear for example, does a nice job of breaking up the backside so that it doesn't look as wide as the C5 or the C6, but is probably still very aero.

This front end is a bit "softer" and still contains the sidswipe influence, but my bet is the outside openings are still too big to pass the wind tunnel tests.

·
Registered
297 Posts
It'll be interesting over the next year+ time how many ways we'll be pulled as to what the actual finished product will look like. To see who was the closest with their opinions and thoughts as to how it should look. For me, I like this. But in the same way some of you also have liked it.....toned down or "softened" as you put it. The front is great as long as it's pulled together a bit. The grille is rather large. And I love the rear window with the split and the general idea in the back but it is kinda out there. Needs to be squished and smoothened. And then there's the wheels. HHmmmm.......:huh:

·
Super Moderator
10,129 Posts
One other small point. You'd be surprised at the drag coefficients of some designs. "Looking" smooth doesn't always translate into good aerodynamics and the converse. Look at the F-117A.
You are absolutely correct.

However, in the case of the F-117A all the air is flowing over or (sucking) through its intakes for use by those engines. No air resistance at the intakes.

Air entering those outside openings on either side of the Sideswipe grill MUST flow through and out smoothly or the air be backed up (like sand through an hourglass) and will create turbuance that acts like a wall of resistance. Those Sideswipe openings are just too big to let all the air exit out the wheel wells and too much, added with the bottom and grill to flow through the engine compartment. Forcing the air out the bottom would result in high speed lift. My guess is that using an LS3 for power, the Sideswipe design could only reach an uncomfortably unsteady top speed of around 150 mph. Just a guess.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yes, and before that movie, that Camaro was a show car that, after a hot reception, GM announced would go into production. The production Camaro is about 95+% the same as the show car. Even much of the interior touches made it into production. All of this was known PRIOR to the movie.

GM would NOT release the C7 via a Movie two plus years prior to production. The Sideswipe is not streetable. Look at the front of the car. The Corvette would go from having one of the lowest coefficient of drag in production to one of the worst. This is a fun concept they made available for the movie, that likely has a few styling cues that will be softened and included in the C7. The multi plane rear for example, does a nice job of breaking up the backside so that it doesn't look as wide as the C5 or the C6, but is probably still very aero.

This front end is a bit "softer" and still contains the sidswipe influence, but my bet is the outside openings are still too big to pass the wind tunnel tests.

Like I said before, the Avarvarii design is the closest representation of the C7 available. The C7 will have many design cues from the "sideswipe" concept car. The front will be toned down and be more similar to the C6 and the windshield rake is less for a taller stance and larger side mirrors. The rear will be much different with more of a traditional Corvette rear end and round tail lights.

·
Super Moderator
10,129 Posts
Like I said before, the Avarvarii design is the closest representation of the C7 available. The C7 will have many design cues from the "sideswipe" concept car. The front will be toned down and be more similar to the C6 and the windshield rake is less for a taller stance and larger side mirrors. The rear will be much different with more of a traditional Corvette rear end and round tail lights.
Too bad about the rear. IMO, the multilevel / multiangle Stingray rear is the best part of that design. It breaks up the otherwise massive rear fascia.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts