Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

Should I bring legal action against O'Brien Chevrolet?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Everyone--
I'm writing on here today to ask for your input on what I should do about a recent incident I had with O'Brien Chevrolet Service Dept. in Cathedral City, CA.

Some background: I live in Palm Springs, CA. I bought my 2005 C6 Z51 coupe from Kerbeck in Atlantic City, NJ last year after waiting over 7 months for my order to come up to have my car built from a local dealership. Turns out, they did not have the dealer allocation to have the car built for me---and just strung me along hoping I would settle for a 2006 model. So, after hearing from a wonderful fellow here on Digital Corvettes with the inside scoop that my car WAS NOT even CLOSE to being built--got my deposit back from them ($25,000.00!) Called Kerbeck, gave them the specs of the car I wanted. Paid them---they had the Vette build date for me TWO WEEKS from the day they received payment for the order. SO COOL!!! So, we headed out to Kentucky to pick up the car from the National Corvette Museum for museum delivery and plant tour. AMAZING EXPERIENCE!!!! I recommend for ALL!!!!
Needless to say, the drive home was a dream come true. Next to my Significant Other, my Vette is my most prized possession. That's what makes what I'm about to tell y'all so damn troubling. For routine service for my Vette, I was taking her to Mac McGruder Chevrolet, in Palm Springs. Wonderful service advisors, salesmen and staff. Well, they get bought out by O'Brien Chevrolet of Cathedral City and the location is shut down. I then received a recall notice from GM about my two targa tops (painted polycarb and clear poly carb). The Vette was about due for an oilchange so I figured I'd take her in, check them out and everything would be swell---WRONG!!!
They did the oilchange---but the tops? They said they weren't going to replace them. They were going to put a new weather stripping on both of them and "that should do it". When I went the next day to pick up my car--on the way home I felt oily, sticky stuff dripping all over me and my car's interior---Keep in mind: My car is kept IMMACULATE at all times, garaged, detailed, etc. WHAT THE %*@%!!!!! I took the car back and raised hell with the service advisor I was assigned. "We'll take care of it", he assured me. "Can you leave it with us another day?" So I give them another day--they shine her up real pretty and tell me everything is "taken care of". On my way home the following day...IT HAPPENED AGAIN!! EPOXY EVERYWHERE!!! I was completely freaking out---My carrying case for my painted roof panel was ruined. The upolstery has glue spots hardened everywhere. The seats were ruined and tinted windows ruined. What are you going to do about this?--I asked them. "Can you give us the car back---we'll put you in a rental. We will make this right for ya, PROMISE". TWO WEEKS they had my Vette. Turns out they had to replace both tops, most of my interior and center console and in doing so CRACKED MY WINDSHIELD.
So, they had to replace that as well.

I went to pick up my car yesterday--left my rental with them at the service department and drove home. Come to find out today. My Homelink transmitter is either not there, or not connected (because they are new sunvisors) The buttons are there---but do not respond to programming. Nor do the lights on the vanity mirrors or the rearview mirror maplights work. I called Onstar to make sure at THAT was working (it was).

The service advisor told me yesterday when I picked my car up that there were still parts coming in that they are replacing. The upper drivers seat cushion, and various other stained parts. It is Sunday today and they are closed. I have found numerous glue spots dried into the interior carpeting besides the things that are not working---What would y'all do?! I'm TERRIFIED at the thought of leaving my precious dreamcar in the hands of these butchers. But, I have got to get these replacement parts installed for my car--and they OWE me that. As soon as they finish their repairs (on their screw-up) I am NEVER going to that dealership again. Do I have some kind of legal case here? I've been a nervous wreck since my C6 went in the shop--and still am! My blood pressure has never been so high! I am an artist---not a businessman/lawyer. I know that this just ain't right---but don't know what I can do about it. So, I bring this to you all---my trusted fellow Vette-fanatics. Help me, Digital Corvettes....you're my only hope!

·
Registered
796 Posts
I really don't see a reason to litigate here. Yes, they screwed up your baby. And Yes, it has taken them a extraordinary amount of time to repair the damage.
But it seems to me as if they are trying to do right by you in replacing the damaged parts and supplying you with a rental while repairs are being made.
I understand your frustration and disgust with this particluar dealership, and would never return after all is made right. Just make sure to do an extensive inspection of your car prior to telling them where the can stick all the damaged parts.

Good luck in getting her returned to her former pristine self.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
urbinoart said:
Hello, Everyone--
I'm writing on here today to ask for your input on what I should do about a recent incident I had with O'Brien Chevrolet Service Dept. in Cathedral City, CA.

Some background: I live in Palm Springs, CA. I bought my 2005 C6 Z51 coupe from Kerbeck in Atlantic City, NJ last year after waiting over 7 months for my order to come up to have my car built from a local dealership. Turns out, they did not have the dealer allocation to have the car built for me---and just strung me along hoping I would settle for a 2006 model. So, after hearing from a wonderful fellow here on Digital Corvettes with the inside scoop that my car WAS NOT even CLOSE to being built--got my deposit back from them ($25,000.00!) Called Kerbeck, gave them the specs of the car I wanted. Paid them---they had the Vette build date for me TWO WEEKS from the day they received payment for the order. SO COOL!!! So, we headed out to Kentucky to pick up the car from the National Corvette Museum for museum delivery and plant tour. AMAZING EXPERIENCE!!!! I recommend for ALL!!!!
Needless to say, the drive home was a dream come true. Next to my Significant Other, my Vette is my most prized possession. That's what makes what I'm about to tell y'all so damn troubling. For routine service for my Vette, I was taking her to Mac McGruder Chevrolet, in Palm Springs. Wonderful service advisors, salesmen and staff. Well, they get bought out by O'Brien Chevrolet of Cathedral City and the location is shut down. I then received a recall notice from GM about my two targa tops (painted polycarb and clear poly carb). The Vette was about due for an oilchange so I figured I'd take her in, check them out and everything would be swell---WRONG!!!
They did the oilchange---but the tops? They said they weren't going to replace them. They were going to put a new weather stripping on both of them and "that should do it". When I went the next day to pick up my car--on the way home I felt oily, sticky stuff dripping all over me and my car's interior---Keep in mind: My car is kept IMMACULATE at all times, garaged, detailed, etc. WHAT THE %*@%!!!!! I took the car back and raised hell with the service advisor I was assigned. "We'll take care of it", he assured me. "Can you leave it with us another day?" So I give them another day--they shine her up real pretty and tell me everything is "taken care of". On my way home the following day...IT HAPPENED AGAIN!! EPOXY EVERYWHERE!!! I was completely freaking out---My carrying case for my painted roof panel was ruined. The upolstery has glue spots hardened everywhere. The seats were ruined and tinted windows ruined. What are you going to do about this?--I asked them. "Can you give us the car back---we'll put you in a rental. We will make this right for ya, PROMISE". TWO WEEKS they had my Vette. Turns out they had to replace both tops, most of my interior and center console and in doing so CRACKED MY WINDSHIELD.
So, they had to replace that as well.

I went to pick up my car yesterday--left my rental with them at the service department and drove home. Come to find out today. My Homelink transmitter is either not there, or not connected (because they are new sunvisors) The buttons are there---but do not respond to programming. Nor do the lights on the vanity mirrors or the rearview mirror maplights work. I called Onstar to make sure at THAT was working (it was).

The service advisor told me yesterday when I picked my car up that there were still parts coming in that they are replacing. The upper drivers seat cushion, and various other stained parts. It is Sunday today and they are closed. I have found numerous glue spots dried into the interior carpeting besides the things that are not working---What would y'all do?! I'm TERRIFIED at the thought of leaving my precious dreamcar in the hands of these butchers. But, I have got to get these replacement parts installed for my car--and they OWE me that. As soon as they finish their repairs (on their screw-up) I am NEVER going to that dealership again. Do I have some kind of legal case here? I've been a nervous wreck since my C6 went in the shop--and still am! My blood pressure has never been so high! I am an artist---not a businessman/lawyer. I know that this just ain't right---but don't know what I can do about it. So, I bring this to you all---my trusted fellow Vette-fanatics. Help me, Digital Corvettes....you're my only hope!

I hate to be the barer of bad news but as long as the dealership is trying to take care of the problem you have no recourse.Now you could take it to another dealership, but as in my experence that dealer won't step into the middle of a stiuation involving another dealer ,been there done that.The best answer is keep after them until they get it right.Demand to speak to the owner,screw the service manager if that failes find out who the district manager is and his number go after him.The more you make a general nuiance of yourself.The faster they fix it just to get you off their backs.Then call the chevy customer service rep the phone number is in the corvette broucher you should have gotten from Kerbeck.Call them be percise and don't loose your cool,outline everthing they did to your baby.But stay after them don't let up especially the owner,he's the key.GOOD LUCK. :down: :down: :down:

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
I think this dealer has screwed up enough to get a vote of "no confidence" for any future repairs or remedies.

Contact your insurance company as well and let them a dealership has damaged your car and you need their guidance.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
I'd also be on the phone to Chevy and ask to meet a zone rep while your car is in the dealership. The General needs to know what bozos represent them.

·
DC Crew
4,751 Posts
This may be a larger problem as the recall/buliten has gone out on all but the very last 2006 C6 models for the roof repair.

The instructions from GM are very specific on how to apply the epoxy. Believe it or not, the current fix is to order a new top, then before sending it to paint they drill out the access holes and pump the new top full of epoxy. On current tops not yet showing enough separation to run a feeler gauge between the top and frame, they simply do the drill and epoxy repair.

So, either the dealer is not using the approved epoxy, or there are thousands of other Vette owners out there getting ready to have goo dripping on the interior.

You really need to call GM and get them in on the loop.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Patrick said:
I think this dealer has screwed up enough to get a vote of "no confidence" for any future repairs or remedies.

Contact your insurance company as well and let them a dealership has damaged your car and you need their guidance.

:thumbsup:

Partick,i agree with you whole hardedly in principal but in reallity if he takes it to another dealer,at best they wont be happy getting into the middle of a messy situation no pun intended, and as in my case,granted it wasn't a Vette,still the new dealer flat refused to get involved because he knew the stiuation.I hadn't thought about the insurance angle,thats a great idea.I still think in the end he's going to have to come to some kind of an understanding with the orginal dealer even if he has lost trust they are the dealer of record. The company that mess up my car finally got it right but you can bet one thing they will never get anymore of my business and i make sure any time someone ask me about them ,i tell them to find another dealer.I suppect either the district ,or zone manager,whatever the regional directors title is going to insist.jmo :huh:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Service Nightmare!

Thank you so much for your input guys! I got in touch with my insurance agent who has an "in" at the dealership (QC)---They put me in touch with who I need to be dealing with--the manager. I kept my cool but was very specific about the damage that needed to be documented and repaired. We will wait and see what happens. He agreed that my Vette was in pristine condition when she went into "that house of horrors"...And that I will be getting her back "Better than New".

I truly appreciate the support!

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
urbinoart said:
Thank you so much for your input guys! I got in touch with my insurance agent who has an "in" at the dealership (QC)---They put me in touch with who I need to be dealing with--the manager. I kept my cool but was very specific about the damage that needed to be documented and repaired. We will wait and see what happens. He agreed that my Vette was in pristine condition when she went into "that house of horrors"...And that I will be getting her back "Better than New".

I truly appreciate the support!

That's really great to here.The one thing i have learned in my short time here is this bunch here are willing and able to help but more importantly they are willing to share.This victory belongs to all who chimed into help.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
urbinoart said:
Thank you so much for your input guys! I got in touch with my insurance agent who has an "in" at the dealership (QC)---They put me in touch with who I need to be dealing with--the manager. I kept my cool but was very specific about the damage that needed to be documented and repaired.
Excellent. Now, give the process a little time to work. Let us know when we gotta ramp up our efforts.:devil:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Howdy, Fellow Vette-nuts! Update, here for y'all...First off---Many Thanks to everyone who shared their ideas and thoughts (and VOTES!) The good news is that my '05 Z51 C6 coupe is back safe & sound in our garage...Not lookin' too shabby either, I might add. The dealer went to great lengths to pull this one off---I think I was probably the first to share about this "Recall Nightmare", here on Digital Corvettes, but----I now, alas....know quite a few C6 owners who have had the same thing happen ('05 and '06)....not quite as extreme as my case (with the broken wind-shied 'n all!!!!) Anyhoooo---They did thier best, I'll give them that. Unfortunately though, that's NOT GOOD ENOUGH for me and my Vette, G**-dammmit!!!! Cause we're WORTH IT!!!!
The few things that need addressing THANKFULLY,----
CHAMPION CADILLAC/CHEVROLET OF LA QUINTA is going to step up to the plate to clear "Mr. Goodwrench's" name!!!!! The service manager that I spoke with there, really made me feel good about driving the extra 15 miles to get my ride serviced. I've got an appointment scheduled for a week after my partner & I get back from Puerto Vallarta, MX---I should be recharged enough by then to handle just about anything! Thanks for being here for me, guys---and Happy Driving, everybody.
Nick U

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
urbinoart said:
Howdy, Fellow Vette-nuts! Update, here for y'all...First off---Many Thanks to everyone who shared their ideas and thoughts (and VOTES!) The good news is that my '05 Z51 C6 coupe is back safe & sound in our garage...Not lookin' too shabby either, I might add. The dealer went to great lengths to pull this one off---I think I was probably the first to share about this "Recall Nightmare", here on Digital Corvettes, but----I now, alas....know quite a few C6 owners who have had the same thing happen ('05 and '06)....not quite as extreme as my case (with the broken wind-shied 'n all!!!!) Anyhoooo---They did thier best, I'll give them that. Unfortunately though, that's NOT GOOD ENOUGH for me and my Vette, G**-dammmit!!!! Cause we're WORTH IT!!!!
The few things that need addressing THANKFULLY,----
CHAMPION CADILLAC/CHEVROLET OF LA QUINTA is going to step up to the plate to clear "Mr. Goodwrench's" name!!!!! The service manager that I spoke with there, really made me feel good about driving the extra 15 miles to get my ride serviced. I've got an appointment scheduled for a week after my partner & I get back from Puerto Vallarta, MX---I should be recharged enough by then to handle just about anything! Thanks for being here for me, guys---and Happy Driving, everybody.
Nick U
Great news glad to here that you may have a happy ending to this mess.Hope it all works out for the best.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts