Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's hear some stories of your first Corvette experience. Not necessarily your first ownership, but when you first realized that you were in love with the Corvette. How old were you and which Vette?

:thumbsup:

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Great question.

My Grandpa worked for a Chevrolet dealership for 25 years.

One day my father and I went there to say "hi" and my grandpa put me in a white shark with red interior that was on the showroom floor. I couldn't see over the dash so I pulled myself up to see out the windshield and I saw those WONDERFUL curves!!!

Fell in love right there.

I didn't get a Corvette until 25 years later. My first was a black/black 96 LT4 that turned 12.7x's bone stock.

That car was destroyed by fire, and is missed.

Two weeks after the car I flew to Florida and bought the GrandSport. Then, I drove it to the Corvetteforum cruise-in in Bowling Green KY to make the official "unveiling".

I love Corvettes, and I will always own one from this point on.

What's your story, FatherLarry?:huh:

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I've been sort of a car guy-hot rodder all my life. My first serious venture into "hot" was in 1968. I had a 63 Ford Fastback that took most of my paychecks. I dropped a brand new 428 CJ into that mutha. Lot's of suspension upgrades, paint, etc.

Then I got into Mustangs, pouring a few thousand into each of those.

In between (for 9 years) I had a 41 Ford Coupe that I partially rebuilt. I had it driveable, and did enjoy a few long outings in it. I never finished the coupe the way I wanted to. Work hours were just so much that I had zero time for any thing else. The coupe sat for the last 5 years I owned it.

My first Corvette experience was a close friend of mine buying a 69 427 tri-power in 69. I drove it a few times and was hooked. Touble was, I couldn't own a GM because I worked for a competitor.

When I decided to leave, and made the date known, we went looking for a Vette to replace the Mustangs I was given each year by the company. The rest is history. Now we own two, and plan to add a C5 as soon as another garage space is available.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, my father was a craftsman in autobody work. After the war he taught automotive for the Veterans. It was a special program that the gov't was running for GI's. He didn't like it much, because he was more of a hands on guy. I started working after school with him when I was 9 yrs old, and we were a father and son team every since.

I lived in Brooklyn and played hookie from school one day. My friend and I were both motor heads, age 13. We decided to hitchhike to Reis Park Beach. So we were dressed with big pointed cowboy boots, Levi dungarees and a big Garrison belt around our wastes, with a black tee shirt. And, naturally the hairstyle was a ducktail with a big front dip over our foreheads. Well, we saw this silver '63 split stop for a light. I said to my friend, I am going to try to get a ride in that. Pete said, no way Jose! That's a new Vette and he's not gonna want teenagers in it. Well, the guy was cool and figured he'd give these two hookie players a treat. I got elected to scrunch in the back, and Pete sat up front. But, that was all I needed. Corvette fever was instantly injected by the sound of the dual exhaust, and looking up at the sky through the split window. Every shift gave me chills downs my spine. The best of it all, it was a Z06 fuelie! Well, my dream came true, 40 years later, I got my first Z06. I was satisfied when I bought the hardtop, but in back of my mind, I wanted a Z06. When they came out with the Z06 in 2001, I was awestruck. Then my wife made my dream come true and bought me a 2002 EB for our Anniversary. Well, automobiles have been my trade, my hobby and my life. Now I'm retired and really enjoy my website, trying to talk to other forums throughout the states and overseas, so we can interact with each other on the passion we all share.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts