Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
How about this one?
https://www.facebook.com/CorvetteExperts/videos/1048371341864723/
Or this hand painted era correct from back in the day. race c2 body mod from yesteryear:
https://www.facebook.com/CorvetteExperts/videos/1373964965972024/
the paint is showing its age but is so awesome the owner wont do anything about it. It was painted I think in 1971.
Hold on Wiz.
Having Happy Memories Street Racing Last Year in Yusefs Record setting Mistubishi EVO.
2 Nuts going about 170 mph on close to 50 psi Boost.
4 banger .
88mm Turbo.....

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
Well if you say so. Our black C5 started out at the track in the 13's and has been working his way down since. And I made this video today just for you. Honestly I don't know what you see in these cars. You can't even see out the windshield..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpN5xI8KSh8
What are You yelling at me for ?
I Did not put that Pro Stock Hood Scoop on that Big Block C3.

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
This car fights us at times. But it is still such a great car..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ng-OO76LJv4
I Like that BBC Bright Red C3 Too Wiz.

They have Gorton so fast no one can compete.
Talked with my Bud John recent.
Road Racer in upstate New York.
I Like the idea of Multi purpose.
Street.
Road Race.
Drag strip.
Change out tires and rims as needed.
Think a Corvette will Excell.

·
Premium Member
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I Like that BBC Bright Red C3 Too Wiz.
So one of the things we struggle with on this car is the temps. They very slowly creep up the longer you drive the car. It is not just any BB, but a 502. And the exhaust manifolds hug the block which only further adds to an engine that just wants to be hot. I have been down this road before not just with BB C3's but with others we have had to chase temp issues on. So it's time to share some cooling knowledge with the group.

When the car is moving down the road. Any car. It should be plowing the radiator through air, right? And as such by the time a car hits just 30mph, again ANY car, there should be so much more air moving across the radiator than what the fans are capable of doing that they become useless by this vehicle speed. In all truth, if you need to turn your fans on to cool your car while it is moving you most likely have a poor setup that is in some way impeding airflow across the radiator. So true is what I am saying that most engine controllers today and for some years now have tables and settings to disable the fans at a certain vehicle speed just for this. Sadly as our C3 racecar goes down the road it really does not dispel heat but just holds its temp.

The radiator being swept back makes it difficult for airflow to find its way across the radiator. It just wants to go up and over the core support. But we are not without a real answer to this dilemma from the manufacturer of these great cars. For GM didn't get wise to sweeping the radiator forward until the c7. If we look at both C5 and C6 we see the radiator and condenser are still swrept back but these cars achieve incredible cooling efficiency because of the plastic ductwork that forces air to take a specific path. Unfortunately I can not build a complete enclosure to force all air that enters the nose of the car to go through the radiator because on the C3 the nose of the hood goes down almost to the condenser. But I certainly can create a lip around the radiator in the front to scoop some of the air that just wants to go up and over the core support. Let me show you guys how I achieve such an end.

Here is our first problem with airflow. There is a gap between the front lower air dam and the bottom of the core support. This alone lets so much of the incoming air just go under the car and not even try to go up to the radiator..

And from the back..

We obviously need to close this so all air picked up by the scoop goes up in front of the radiator and condenser. This car also has an electric headlight conversion. So I made these extremely specific plates to close out both sides..

Installed there is a small gap intentionally left in the center..

Then I made this small air deflector to go in the center..

While there have been no issues whatsoever out of the trans, I wanted to leave a path open for air to be forced across the trans cooler while at speed. If the trans starts getting hot, I will open this hole sideways a bit but if all stays well then it will stay just like this..

·
Premium Member
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
The top of the core support used to have foam that would seal around the plastic ductwork for the air intake and to the factory hood. We have a earlier BB hood and there is no foam at all on top of the core support so as air gets deflected up it just wants to continue up and go over the core support. We need to force the air to come up into the nose of the car and then turn and go back down to pass through the condenser and radiator. So I made this piece to extend the core support forward a few inches at the top..

Top view of my deflector installed..

And from underneath..

I'm guessing for weight reduction this car had it's front bumper / vacuum reservoir removed. Kinda scary but nice for airflow..

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
Nice Work Wiz.

You forgot about the C4.
It has a real efficient Air Box made of Fiberglass.

If you ditch the AC condenser because you poked a hole in it like I did there is nothing blocking the radiator.
Really cools nice.
Save weight too ;)

Its a problem on Big Cubic inch engines like you state.
Cooling & Coolant temp creeps idling with any fan or driving.
I have found the Biggest, Hugest, close to 4- 5 inches wide radiator is best.
Just no room in most Corvettes.

If you get out the Sawzall & hack away at what what GM did to mount the radiator, cut it all out & throw away.
Build it New Like a Chassis Race Drag car...:D

Of course most Vette guys will Freak Out.

Corvette is a Race car to me.
Just cut away & make it Fit.
What I did to mine.. :cheers:

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
The top of the core support used to have foam that would seal around the plastic ductwork for the air intake and to the factory hood. We have a earlier BB hood and there is no foam at all on top of the core support so as air gets deflected up it just wants to continue up and go over the core support. We need to force the air to come up into the nose of the car and then turn and go back down to pass through the condenser and radiator. So I made this piece to extend the core support forward a few inches at the top..

Top view of my deflector installed..

And from underneath..

I'm guessing for weight reduction this car had it's front bumper / vacuum reservoir removed. Kinda scary but nice for airflow..

Did it work by the way Wiz ?

Problems take innovative solutions like your doing to resolve.
Looks like there is room for a Boost fan to push air right onto the AC Condenser at idle in traffic & slow driving speeds.

That CS 130 likes to overheat driving powering electric fans.
Had several burn up on my 87 Corvette.
1 almost caught fire one day I used.
Smoking like a Volcano erupting.
POS CS130 what I think of them.
Pretty easy upgrade is a 2nd Gen CS144. Used On GUNNY RACE CARS LT1 & LT4 Stock. Also used on C4 ZR1 Corvette.
What I put on my 87 Corvette last year.
No more failures.
The 63 Gp I built myself a real nice 1 wire hookup turns on when engine starts charging CS144.
All Transpo Electronics inside with Higher Amperage rated Avalanche Doides in the rectifier bridge.
Covered on Grumps.
Back March 2018 this year.

·
Premium Member
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
It is my last day in Las Vegas. SEMA was outrageous. I took a million pictures of the coolest **** i have ever seen in my life. I only have my phone with me and no laptop or pc so i will start with the picture sharing tomorrow. I leave the Mandalay Bay hotel and head back to the airport at 3pm and the plane takes off at 4:45 and i am supposed to land in Ft. Lauderdale Fl at 12:25am late tonight. It has just been an incredible time out here.

·
Premium Member
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I also made and installed side pieces that can only protrude forward a few inches. But it is better than nothing. And it does a good job of promoting fresh air being drawn across the radiator and condenser instead of recirculating hot engine bay air..

I also made some changes to the trans cooler. It was mounted flat and I made some brackets and got it to mount at an angle..

From the front..

From behind the cooler looking forward..

And here is a better shot of the air dam I made to channel air up and through the cooler..

The lowest point on the cooler is 1/2" higher than the lowest point on the factory front spoiler.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts