Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone substantiate this? becuase it sounds like a massive error in Corvette Magazine:

This "information" comes from Corvette Magazine (Oct 2010)

"We put to Chief Corvette Engineer Tadge Juechter [the question why the Grand Sport Convertible rides more harshly than the coupe. He talked about body shell stiffness and then]

"Juechter said that our car's automatic transmission likely played an even bigger role in our perceptions. The coupe we drove had a manual gearbox. Not only does the slushbox add mass, but it alters the car's weight distribution. With the gearbox mounted directly behind the engine instead of at the rear axle,as it is on a manual transmission-equipped car, the automatic is more nose heavy. This contributes to a to a small increase in ride harshness and also makes the steering feel somewhat heavier."

I cannot believe GM would engineer one model variation to have a front mount transmission.

Anyone actually have one of these new Grand Sports with an Auto, as I would love to know if this is true?

· Registered
2,417 Posts
Can anyone substantiate this? becuase it sounds like a massive error in Corvette Magazine:

"We put to Chief Corvette Engineer Tadge Juechter [the question why the Grand Sport Convertible rides more harshly than the coupe. He talked about body shell stiffness and then]

"Juechter said that our car's automatic transmission likely played an even bigger role in our perceptions. The coupe we drove had a manual gearbox. Not only does the slushbox add mass, but it alters the car's weight distribution. With the gearbox mounted directly behind the engine instead of at the rear axle,as it is on a manual transmission-equipped car, the automatic is more nose heavy. This contributes to a to a small increase in ride harshness and also makes the steering feel somewhat heavier."
Wow, what a MAJOR error and blatant display of misinformation.

· Registered
608 Posts
Can you imagine the floorboard hump that would be needed to have the A6 up front ?
Doing a total redesign of frame would require GM going through all the federal compliance testing ?
Also would require a whole new driveshaft to rear end design

I cannot believe GM would engineer one model variation to have a front mount transmission.

Anyone actually have one of these new Grand Sports with an Auto, as I would love to know if this is true?

· Registered
4,651 Posts
"Juechter said that our car's automatic transmission likely played an even bigger role in our perceptions. The coupe we drove had a manual gearbox. Not only does the slushbox add mass, but it alters the car's weight distribution."
Actually I believe that the auto and manual tranny are not of the same weight and therefore change weight distribution.

The gearbox and diff were put in the rear to compensate for the heavy load in front and have a better front/rear distribution ratio.

I do not know by how much the ratio is affected. Is there a significant change in weight between the two gear boxes? :huh:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.