Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Frustrating news for anyone trying to get a new C6 from Bowling Green...does not sound encouraging at all. Article was posted 3/25/09....

The Corvette plant will shut down for six weeks starting Monday. Hourly workers will be temporarily laid off during those down weeks, said Andrea Hales, communications director for the plant.

Employees were informed of the shutdowns Monday. Corvette sales are down 50 percent from last year, and the news did not surprise workers, Hales said.

"I think our employees expected more downtime because they follow the sale of our products very closely," she said. "So I think our employees were expecting some sort of scheduling announcement." The plant has indefinitely laid off about 130 employees, and officials estimate about 110 more employees will be laid off by the end of the year.

"We are still hopeful that the market is still there for Corvette," Hales said.

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,471 Posts
Sometimes you have to do drastic things to survive

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Sorry to hear that.
Definitely pushes my ZR1 order back. :down:

·
Registered
95 Posts
If the Corvette gets stalled at just turning out 15,000 units a year now, it's going to be hard for GM to justify keeping a limited production car around.
:agree:

·
Registered
901 Posts
Frustrating news for anyone trying to get a new C6 from Bowling Green...[/B]
True, but that's actually the problem - hardly anyone IS trying to get a new C6 from Bowling Green (other than ZR1s). The few buyers out there can't resist choosing from the 6000 Corvettes already on dealer lots at the biggest discounts ever. For the rest of MY 2009 they'll open the plant periodically as a stock of ZR1 parts builds up, then build all the ZR1s they can, as well as the new special edition models (and maybe a few ordered cars). Hopefully the changes for 2010 will be appealing enough that some of us faithful Corvette owners will order 2010s and the situation will improve enough to keep the plant operating full time but at the new slower hourly pace.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Heard from a Canadian Dealer today, that there will be no more zr1's this year for Canadian allocation. ZERO.

I wonder what's going to happen?

:thud:

·
Registered
345 Posts
Tomorrow Obama is announcing plans to give them BILLIONS MORE of our tax
dollars down a rat hole AGAIN! This will last about 2 more months. Then it will
be BILLIONS MORE! I realize that the unions gave $61,000,000 to the
Democrats and feel that they are owed this pay-back, regardless of cost to
taxpayers.

But, just 3 months ago when taxpayers gave them $17,000,000,000 it was with
the absolute commitment that this week they would show evidence of a definate
turn-around. However, THAT MONEY IS GONE as 99% of us knew it would be!

There has been NO evidence of any turn-around. In fact, it has all worsened. The
only place that money went was to PAST creditors and UAW coffers. NOT for
FUTURE improvement. And they show NO sign of any GM market turn-around. The
whole general car market is declining. So, why would we think that all of a sudden
GM is going to prosper?

Thousands of companies are going broke. That’s just the way business is. Some
make it and some don’t! THAT’S AMERICA!

I want there to be a Corvette! But, I don’t give a damn WHO builds it! The
sooner GM goes bankrupt the sooner some other company buys Corvette and
we get fresh new models!

It’s not up to you and me to keep GM or ANY company in business! Almost ALL of
us are making less money today and having to sacrifice. The last thing we all need
is to take food from our families to bail out huge companies to pay someone else’s
union dues!

It’s up to the huge car companies - and all other companies - to work out their
OWN problems!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Tomorrow Obama is announcing plans to give them BILLIONS MORE of our tax
dollars down a rat hole AGAIN! This will last about 2 more months. Then it will
be BILLIONS MORE! I realize that the unions gave $61,000,000 to the
Democrats and feel that they are owed this pay-back, regardless of cost to
taxpayers.

But, just 3 months ago when taxpayers gave them $17,000,000,000 it was with
the absolute commitment that this week they would show evidence of a definate
turn-around. However, THAT MONEY IS GONE as 99% of us knew it would be!

There has been NO evidence of any turn-around. In fact, it has all worsened. The
only place that money went was to PAST creditors and UAW coffers. NOT for
FUTURE improvement. And they show NO sign of any GM market turn-around. The
whole general car market is declining. So, why would we think that all of a sudden
GM is going to prosper?

Thousands of companies are going broke. That’s just the way business is. Some
make it and some don’t! THAT’S AMERICA!

I want there to be a Corvette! But, I don’t give a damn WHO builds it! The
sooner GM goes bankrupt the sooner some other company buys Corvette and
we get fresh new models!

It’s not up to you and me to keep GM or ANY company in business! Almost ALL of
us are making less money today and having to sacrifice. The last thing we all need
is to take food from our families to bail out huge companies to pay someone else’s
union dues!

It’s up to the huge car companies - and all other companies - to work out their
OWN problems!
Corvette byFord:huh: or Corvette by Toyota:crazy:
NOT FOR ME!!!!

·
Registered
849 Posts
People think we sports car owners are killing the earth. But it's just not true. They don't know us. Corvette owners in particular are probably the most tidy and clean you can imagine out there.

The cars when running properly with cat's are low emissions and good cruising mpg.

We get a raw deal as they look to make car makers the bad guys instead of the politicians that sign bills into law without even reading the content.

We would be fired if we ran a company and did that.

·
Registered
25 Posts
People think we sports car owners are killing the earth. But it's just not true. They don't know us. Corvette owners in particular are probably the most tidy and clean you can imagine out there.

The cars when running properly with cat's are low emissions and good cruising mpg.

We get a raw deal as they look to make car makers the bad guys instead of the politicians that sign bills into law without even reading the content.

:agree: I had to laugh at the first paragraph.. My daughter states that our house is as tidy and clean as a museum, and my Corvette is the museum piece !

·
Registered
887 Posts

Never heard any one state that "sports car owners are killing the earth":huh:

·
Banned
334 Posts
'08s and 09s

True, but that's actually the problem - hardly anyone IS trying to get a new C6 from Bowling Green (other than ZR1s). The few buyers out there can't resist choosing from the 6000 Corvettes already on dealer lots at the biggest discounts ever. For the rest of MY 2009 they'll open the plant periodically as a stock of ZR1 parts builds up, then build all the ZR1s they can, as well as the new special edition models (and maybe a few ordered cars). Hopefully the changes for 2010 will be appealing enough that some of us faithful Corvette owners will order 2010s and the situation will improve enough to keep the plant operating full time but at the new slower hourly pace.
The dealers must not care because the ones that have 8s and 9s act like they don't want to sell them. In the southern region you can't get a deal in almost any state. They just go along like everything is hunky dory. Of course I have a an '05 so they don't want to trade. I did see Hendrick posting 33-38 for coupes and 48 ('05s) for convertibles. Guess he can do without GM except on Sunday. I can't go see Rick just to far. So mine's a garage queen
so I'll just wait and see. Let them pay those floor plans. Oh yea I was told on this site that hold back money was gone for the dealers. My dealer told me they have been and are still getting theirs from GM. I guess THEY can keep them after all

'08 Guy

·
Registered
887 Posts
The dealers must not care because the ones that have 8s and 9s act like they don't want to sell them. In the southern region you can't get a deal in almost any state. They just go along like everything is hunky dory. Of course I have a an '05 so they don't want to trade. I did see Hendrick posting 33-38 for coupes and 48 ('05s) for convertibles. Guess he can do without GM except on Sunday. I can't go see Rick just to far. So mine's a garage queen
so I'll just wait and see. Let them pay those floor plans. Oh yea I was told on this site that hold back money was gone for the dealers. My dealer told me they have been and are still getting theirs from GM. I guess THEY can keep them after all

'08 Guy
In this Southern State (FLORIDA), you can get $8,000- $10,000 off a new 09 Z06 at most dealerships..and over $7,000 off a coupe, or vert. My last 3 C6 Z06's were "garage queens"..So I sold the ****er's:thud: Love the cars..but not worth a **** sitting:smack Patrick has the right idea:cheers:

·
Registered
849 Posts
Never heard any one state that "sports car owners are killing the earth":huh:
Anyone that things vehicles are part of "global warming" and that the warming is manmade vs natual warming and cooling trends (normally called Weather).

That's who thinks they are killing the earth.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts