Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From my Corvette Blog

Edmunds.com Straightline Blog has a set of photos of a Corvette SS Prototype testing alongside a Ferrari 599. The take on the story is that both the Ferrari 599 and the regular production Corvette both share Delphi's Magnetic Suspension Technology and therefore Chevrolet engineers are reworking the system to help control the massive horsepower output of the Corvette SS.

Last April, Ferrari announced they would be using the MagneRide suspension, which uses shock absorbers filled with a fluid capable of changing damping characteristics on the fly. Delphi's MagneRide system is used on the Corvette as well as the Cadillac STS and other premium GM cars.

Keith

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I'm ready to see this thing in showrooms and on the street...not that I can afford one, just ready to see one in person:laughing:

·
Registered
445 Posts
Yeeepee, more pics! Wonder if they are using the 599 as some sort of benchmark?
Also i think its safe to say "there goes the first Red Z prototype" the one that was being shipped off!

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
I wouldn't doubt it and if they are. That much more power than the Z and less weight, it would almost have to be in the 599 territory.
This super Corvette is gonna smoke the 599. Not even the same league.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I agree with ^^^ i don't think they were aiming at that car although its pretty darn stout! but i think they were aiming at bigger fish!

·
Formerly DOC7000
4,513 Posts
I agree that they were targeting other things, however that 599 at 4,000 pounds was able to run from 0-60 in 3.2 seconds and the 1/4 mile in 11.2 seconds.

For such a heavy car it performs pretty well, the SS is going to be much lighter and pack a bit more horsepower so I dont even expect it to be close. However I think that the 599 is being used as its an example of a front engine RWD 600+BHP car that is able to effectively get its power to the ground.

·
Registered
635 Posts
This car is going to crush just about anything on wheels!

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I want to go camp out at that track, although those picture are probably really old by now.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
I agree that they were targeting other things, however that 599 at 4,000 pounds was able to run from 0-60 in 3.2 seconds and the 1/4 mile in 11.2 seconds.

For such a heavy car it performs pretty well, the SS is going to be much lighter and pack a bit more horsepower so I dont even expect it to be close. However I think that the 599 is being used as its an example of a front engine RWD 600+BHP car that is able to effectively get its power to the ground.
When did it run 0-60 in 3.2 seconds?

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
The wheels look huge like 20" in the back

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Nevermind. I found the Road and Track article. I don't believe their numbers though. They have the curb weight at 3865 pounds coupled with 611 hp and 448 lb-ft of torque. I think this is a case where they took atmospheric conditions and messed with the numbers a bit.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Nevermind. I found the Road and Track article. I don't believe their numbers though. They have the curb weight at 3865 pounds coupled with 611 hp and 448 lb-ft of torque. I think this is a case where they took atmospheric conditions and messed with the numbers a bit.

I agree as well. But I also feel it has something to do with the plethora of electronic gadgetry that car is loaded with. Shifts in tenths of a milisecond things like that.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
I agree as well. But I also feel it has something to do with the plethora of electronic gadgetry that car is loaded with. Shifts in tenths of a milisecond things like that.
I read about that but as far as shifting, I don't care how few the tenths of milliseconds are, that still takes longer than not shifting which is the case in the Z06 and I'm sure will be the case in the SS.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I read about that but as far as shifting, I don't care how few the tenths of milliseconds are, that still takes longer than not shifting which is the case in the Z06 and I'm sure will be the case in the SS.
A valid point I failed to consider. Eh, it's a Ferrari, it costs $400,000, maybe there are special acceleration ferries inside of it. For that price, it must have something special.:laughing:

·
Registered
628 Posts
cool

The ferrari is to freaking heavy, that car is a horse, really.:rolling:

the SS will smoke it, the ferrari's have crap fuel mpg anyway so u can't even take a long trip with it. Not that I'm a tree person

·
Registered
23 Posts
Would it be too much to ask these photographers at the track to remember to time these laps? Or at least look at the time stamps of the digital photos to give us an idea of the lap times?

·
Registered
87 Posts
This car is so far through the testing cycle it seems, I'm really interested as to why they havn't released any official numbers or at least pics on this thing. It's easily their worst kept secret, so i'm starting to feel like there really isn't anything that they can be hiding from other car companies. That is of course unless they just want everyone to think the hp will be in the 600's and it ends up breaking into the 700's. Other than that, whats the point of still keeping it hush hush when most people have already correctly speculated whats under the hood, and now we see what little cosmetic changes are going into it.

Personally it's just drivng me insane (no pun intended) to not see a decent, full car picture of the thing, and some actual hp/weight numbers so that i can guesstimate exactly what this thing can do. But then again, I'm just impatient as hell when it comes to things that i really, really want.

·
Formerly DOC7000
4,513 Posts
On the specs side of things you can believe it if you want to and Italian car makers are known to lie about the specs of their cars including weight. However that really has nothing to do with the test data of the car and from what Ive heard a few mags have gotten performance numbers near those.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Well the SS should have a little more horsepower than that and its going to weigh about what? almost 1000 lbs less? and that ferarri is their supercar for now....

1 - 20 of 33 Posts