You cannot imagine how long I spent doing the latest update on my project to only have it all fail. What worked last time did not work this time. What worked before didn't work the time before. New is not always better.
The car is now home and I will start doing the work that I can do. Now is the time for the ‘rubber to meet the road’.
First picture, we needed to be able to have the steering rack function properly and that wasn’t going to happen without adjusting the alternator. The steering rack knuckle was in the way and this is the shops fix.
This ARE catch can is mounted and ready for hoses. It is an upgraded version to the first one I had which will now be used for the Rossler transmission.
There are plenty of updated pictures of the roll cage upgrades, needed to get the 7.5 second NHRA certification. Anything not painted is clearly the new parts. Looking at the finished cage, I admit, I feel safe going down the track. Kreymr Racing has done very good work and the attention to detail is reassuring to me. Look at the bars on the driver side, you can see the slight bend in them to allow for the seat and myself. The bars behind my seat and over top of my seat, are very much made to protect me. [/URL
These pictures of the finished stainless-steel headers fail to show the $$ wasted on them, whether by design or by thievery. I understand they are custom for my engine bay and still, before Dwain got his hands on them, they weren’t more than tack welded at the flanges and my collectors had gone missing. Dwain finished the welding, added on the collectors and installed the 02 bungs. Now the question is whether or not I choose to wrap them?
I have a couple of pictures of the NRG adapter hub. This adapter fit directly to the I Did It steering column and it looks like it belongs there. Unlike the Grant steering wheel and its mount which looks clunky and cheap. The downside to the NRG quick release 3.0 that I have, it is 6 holes, and the Grant steering wheel is 5 holes. None of the bolt patterns match up so now I order a new steering wheel. The new steering wheel is also from NRG Innovations so everything is expected to work. When I originally bought the Grant wheel, I wasn’t doing a funny car cage or a quick release hub. In the end I am glad to have upgraded to these components.
That part was actually one of the very few electrical parts that I supplied that the wiring guy used. Most of the electrical parts, except for most of the Holley parts, the electrical guy simply pushed off to the side and purchased what he wanted instead. I know that seems reasonable to a point, somethings he discarded were basic and universal, like the many relays that I had already bought. Still, the simple truth is, with the work the Dwain @ Kreymr Racing did, plus the wiring by Steve, this project is so closer to being finished than it ever has been, EVER!!!
The last couple of pictures are of my fenders which need to be reworked because the welds sit proud. The welds need heat shrinking so that I can finish the body work. I have friend from work (welder) who is coming to do this repair. The body shop who modified the fenders for me sent these back in a state that even the fabricator called, unacceptable. That body shop was supposed to go fix the problem while the car was at the fabricators. They chose not to do that and instead they wanted me to pay to have the car towed to/from the body shop. On top of the cost of towing, who knows how much $$ they would hold the car hostage for to fix something that they should never have allowed in the first place. The said they needed the car, but they had built a jig (at my cost) so they had no reasonable excuse why they didn’t get this right. You will notice that I don’t use their name and that is because I don’t believe in either slander or ‘all publicity is good publicity if you spell their name right’. Many customers likely had good experiences with that body shop, me, not so much.
There are many updates to my project but those will have to wait until I have a bit more time to get those updates posted.
How ever, I am thinking this update is worth jumping the que for.
Finally, after over 14 years my race engine breathed for the first time today. It was an awesome moment.
We need to adjust a few things away from then N/A setup to EFI. We made close to 750 hp naturally aspirated on the first pull. Oil pressure was an issue, so we didn’t push past 7500 rpms. My heads are built to withstand 8200 rpm’s and keep on smiling.
I need a System 1 oil filter for the pressure we are running. We also need a bigger pulley for the drysump pump because ARE wants us to spin less tan our current pulley spins. We have a few more tweaks to make to get all of the lines for the drysump to fit the custom motor mount. I have a LS steam line kit arriving this week and I now need to order a torque converter. Finally, the patient has a heartbeat.