Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I had my v6 mustang, I saw the worst driving out of every one on the road.

Since owning the Vette, I find it amusing how these same guys calm way down once they see me. I saw a lowered honda civic weaving in and out of traffic a few cars ahead of me a few days ago with little regard for safety. But once he saw me in the rearview, all the cocky driving stopped until he turned off another street. :laughing:

If I was in the mustang, the normal reaction from little boy racer is to show off some more and try to race me. Now with the vette, it's shut up, calm down and don't start nothin'. :smokin:

It's good to finally get some respect out there on the road. :thumbsup:

With the v6, all mustang gt's would mess with me no matter the day, time or weather. But with the vette, They keep a car length back even when there's room to move up next to me. No instigation, revving or anything.

Once again, It's good to finally get some respect out there on the road. :thumbsup:

This was just a "happy to drive my vette" post :cheers:

·
Registered
662 Posts
lt1vert said:
When I had my v6 mustang, I saw the worst driving out of every one on the road.

Since owning the Vette, I find it amusing how these same guys calm way down once they see me. I saw a lowered honda civic weaving in and out of traffic a few cars ahead of me a few days ago with little regard for safety. But once he saw me in the rearview, all the cocky driving stopped until he turned off another street. :laughing:

If I was in the mustang, the normal reaction from little boy racer is to show off some more and try to race me. Now with the vette, it's shut up, calm down and don't start nothin'. :smokin:

It's good to finally get some respect out there on the road. :thumbsup:

With the v6, all mustang gt's would mess with me no matter the day, time or weather. But with the vette, They keep a car length back even when there's room to move up next to me. No instigation, revving or anything.

Once again, It's good to finally get some respect out there on the road. :thumbsup:

This was just a "happy to drive my vette" post :cheers:
Glad to hear the Bay Area High Rev Tuners are intimidated by your Vette. Bay Area drivers in general seem more civil, at least when I'm up there.

Three hundred and eighty seven miles south of you, here in Orange County, it's just the opposite. Driving a Corvette, especially a Z06, seems to bring every frustrated Michael Schmacher in a car with a sewing machine engine out of the woodwork.

BTW, if you have a digital camera and ever get up to Guadalupe Canyon Parkway (just off the 101 in Brisbane, San Mateo County) let me know. I neglected to take some photos of the locations along there where the movie Bullitt was filmed. I have a page on my web site showing the locations in 1968, and how they look now and would like to have a current shot of a specific location.

If you ever get down here, fly me an electronic kite beforehand and I'll send you infomation on some cool roads you can drive.

Ray

·
Registered
335 Posts
:agree: I owned a 1990 mustang 5.0 and every person with a v6 or higher wanted to race. Now I pull up next to them with the top down on my C5 and they tuck their tail between their legs. I think most people think it is a Lamborghini or something..

The only person I have seen in a while that wanted to run em was a 69 Shelby GT 500. He really couldn't keep up, but I respect anyone that drives a car like that.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I get mixed reactions in the 72. Since I put the hi rise hood on, most behave thenselves.:cheers:

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
I normally only get the moron in the primer CRX that thinks his car is fast because it's loud.
Although one day my wife and I were cruzing and I came upon a new Cobra we drove side by side for a while then leaving a light at about 20 MPH we hit it. I jumped out on him then I heard it... The supercharger spool up ouch I got out of it as he came by.:laughing: about a mile down the road he was turning left I gave him a wave and a thumbs up as I drove by he just smiled and waved.

·
Registered
662 Posts
raidmagic said:
I normally only get the moron in the primer CRX that thinks his car is fast because it's loud.
You have just described 99% of the people I was refering to.

In the mid to late '60s, if you raced someone on the street they didn't shoot you if they lost. That's not necessarily the case out here these days. You have to be very careful. Most of the carbon-fiber hoods and carbon-fiber wings were purchased with money stolen from someone. What was left over paid for the Glock.

Ray

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
Not sure about the safe driving inspiration, but it sure keeps em from making an ass of themselves. :laughing: :laughing:

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
opposite for me too...
can't get on the free-way without an import reving and hissing his turbo at me.or i get the guy who's checking out the car and drifting into my lane,or at a light,the mom in the mini-van tried to race me once.there's many more stories,but.......:smokin:

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
I don't get messed with too much, maybe its because I'm and old fart and people don't know I'll blow their doors off when I get the chance. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Since I don't have a Corvette (yet) I'm on the opposite side of things. When I was in Stone Harbor, NJ, I was cruising around looking for trouble in my Mustang and found this green TPI Vette. My dad has a TPI so I new that I might stand a chance. So I followed him for a while, then when I got the chance I pulled up beside him and made some noise. Not only did he not even take off, but he didn't even look at me. He was obviously too good for my childish games.

·
Registered
662 Posts
TreCool626 said:
Since I don't have a Corvette (yet) I'm on the opposite side of things. When I was in Stone Harbor, NJ, I was cruising around looking for trouble in my Mustang and found this green TPI Vette. My dad has a TPI so I new that I might stand a chance. So I followed him for a while, then when I got the chance I pulled up beside him and made some noise. Not only did he not even take off, but he didn't even look at me. He was obviously too good for my childish games.
Stone Harbor, huh? The real action is in Margate.

Look at this from the Corvette driver's point of view. If you race everyone who pulls alongside you, whether they have a prayer of staying in the same time zone as you or not, what's the point? Where's the challenge? Why risk breaking something to satisfy the urges of some, er, overly-exuberant youth (that was PC, huh?)?.

Personally, I don't humiliate those types unless a) they are annoyingly persistent; b) I've checked my mirrors for cops; and c) the topography and road conditions permit mind-numbing irresponsibility. Then I bury the {expletive deleted} and show the {expletive deleted} that 1) there is no substitute for displacement, and 2) horsepower sells cars, but torque wins races.

Ahhh, I feel much better now. Fuhgetaboutit.

I'm more interested in going after the guy in the Porsche Carrera 4, the 360 Modena, or the Lamborghini (the driver of which doesn't even know I'm beside him because he can't see out of the thing). That's when the issue is in doubt and there is something to be learned. Dodge Vipers? I don't bother. I can do the horsepower-to-weight thing in my head. If he doesn't miss a gear, he wins. And winning because someone suffered misfortune is unsporting and not in the best traditions of America, The United States Navy, or the Chevrolet Motor Division.

Ray

1 - 11 of 11 Posts