Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI,
I did a search and saw some different pictures of cars with cowl hoods, however I was wondering if someone could show me some pictures with descriptions stating how big the cowl was.

I have an oppertunity to get a 5' cowl hood that is somewhat close, but that seems huge.

any help swith this.
thanks,
Ed

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
5'? as in 5 feet? That would be huge!! :rolling:
I suspect you meant 5 " as in 5 inches..

(Sorry, couldn't pass that one!)

Here's a 5 inch L-88 hood. Don't have it painted yet.

It's pretty tall, but it'll fit over about anything short of a blower or tunnel ram, and I don't really see either of those in the future at this point.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
HI,
I did a search and saw some different pictures of cars with cowl hoods, however I was wondering if someone could show me some pictures with descriptions stating how big the cowl was.

I have an oppertunity to get a 5' cowl hood that is somewhat close, but that seems huge.

any help swith this.
thanks,
Ed
I'm not sure where the 5" is measured from. The stock L88 hood is about 2.31" from the top of the cowl down to the top of the grill directly behind the hood. Click on "My Corvette Pics" to the left to see the stock L88 hood on mine.

What engine are you covering with this hood...SBC or BBC?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sure where the 5" is measured from. The stock L88 hood is about 2.31" from the top of the cowl down to the top of the grill directly behind the hood. Click on "My Corvette Pics" to the left to see the stock L88 hood on mine.

What engine are you covering with this hood...SBC or BBC?
lol, Yes I meant 5"...

The hood is going to cover a mild 350, with plans to replace motor in the future, I wanted to get a higher rise hood, and found this as a deal. I am going to be getting car painted early next year, and figured this was time to do it, then I can do essentially any motor I need.
thanks
Ed

·
Registered
442 Posts
Ed, I hope you are a tall guy. I am 6'-3"

My factory L88 hood is about 2.5" at the cowl, and I have a had time seeing over it when parking or in traffic. a 5" cowl would take up about 75% of your view out the windshield.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've got this one.
http://www.ecklers.com/corvette-hood-hi-rise-design-1977-1981.html

I think it's considered a 4"? :huh:
You can also get the cold air box as an option.

It's plenty high for just about anything and I would not want anything taller due to limited drivability. :thumbsup:

5" is pretty extreme.

Ya I was worried, I mean after all this is a corvette not a Camaro, lol (nothing against camaros)

I'm 6'4", but dont want to have to have a passenger to see if anything is on their side, lol

It'll prolly look dumb, thanks guys.

·
Registered
46 Posts

sorry bout the quality... the inside picture is pretty much my view when driving. This turned out exactly as I wanted it to!! I gave the man free reign to do what he needed to do and I love it!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts