Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
DC Crew
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow....the fellow I sold my 90 Vette to came over today to hang out, change the oil...etc.

He showed me a spot on the left from rim (chrome plated stock 90 rims) where there were some lines he could not get out.

I looked closer....OMG! Three of the six spokes were broken through clean just around the hub!

I have never seen this before. There is no collision damage on the wheel at all.

I gave him a pair of old 85 16" wheels and tires I had painted yellow for racing. He hated putting them on the car, but hey...it got him home.

This appears to be a defect in the casting.

I realize this car is old....but do you think GM would take a complaint serious? This is a MAJOR saftey issue.

It bites, because he has to get one more left wheel, and have it chromed to match the other three.

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
69MyWay said:
Wow....the fellow I sold my 90 Vette to came over today to hang out, change the oil...etc.

He showed me a spot on the left from rim (chrome plated stock 90 rims) where there were some lines he could not get out.

I looked closer....OMG! Three of the six spokes were broken through clean just around the hub!

I have never seen this before. There is no collision damage on the wheel at all.

I gave him a pair of old 85 16" wheels and tires I had painted yellow for racing. He hated putting them on the car, but hey...it got him home.

This appears to be a defect in the casting.

I realize this car is old....but do you think GM would take a complaint serious? This is a MAJOR saftey issue.

It bites, because he has to get one more left wheel, and have it chromed to match the other three.
Hmmm....

First, GM isn't going to do anything for you.

Are you sure the chrome didn't just crack? How do you know it's the actual wheel?

Just curious....

·
DC Crew
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Re: cracked 90 rims???

Patrick96LT4 said:
Hmmm....

First, GM isn't going to do anything for you.

Are you sure the chrome didn't just crack? How do you know it's the actual wheel?

Just curious....
I am sure GM won't help...but that was and is his idea. I can't stop him from trying. You have to wonder though had the wheel cracked and caused a fatality....and it could be shown it cracked....GM would have some explaining to do.

I am postive they are cracked through, because the crack goes all the way around the spoke and can be seen on the inside of the wheel where there is no chrome plate. The aluminum has been griding at the crack site and leaving trails of fresh aluminum dust at the crack line. It appears it has been working and ripping little and little. The more it cracks, the more it grinds on the other open cracks.

I should have snapped a pic, but he took the wheel with him.

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
Re: Re: Re: cracked 90 rims???

69MyWay said:
aluminum has been griding at the crack site and leaving trails of fresh aluminum dust at the crack line. It appears it has been working and ripping little and little. The more it cracks, the more it grinds on the other open cracks.
Yep, that's a crack alright.

·
DC Crew
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
unclephilly said:
Sounds like he hit a curb.
I thought the same thing...except I can't see any blemish, smudge, mark, or distortion to any of the rim or tire.

I use to work at a chevy dealer, and I would collect broken Vette rims from the body shop for giggles and grins. I had dozens of them at one time...then turned them in for scrap metal. The ones I had were clearly bent, smudged, etc. as well as cracked.

Very strange...

Oh, I had an adventure back in 1990 or so with my 85 Vette when I bounced it off a curb and broke two rims (right in front of all the customers at a bank, as I slid through the grass in the bank front lawn!). Anyway, the rims broke off clean at the curb level...no hair line fractures like these others.

He is one lucky dude to have noticed it, because that vette was headed for a disaster.

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
Wow, thats something you don't normally think about. I guess everyone will be checking their wheels soon. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts