Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since America's Finest City(tm) can't get its **** together financially, I'm forced to drive every day on some of the worst roads of anywhere it doesn't snow. Long story short, brand new tire stopped holding air after two days, took the car in, and lo and behold- big shiny new crack in the rim (no doubt caused by the REDICULOUS potholes around my house). Anyway, the tire is holding air now thanks to a little bead sealant, but the idea is to get the wheel fixed or replaced ASAP.

The question is this- would you guys trust a repaired wheel? The shop wants $150 to do it, but won't guarantee it won't crack there again. Trouble is, I can't find anyone to sell me a used sawblade by itself, either, and I don't really have the scratch to spend on new wheels right now (though that's definitely on the list). The best I can find is a set for $400, or some chrome A-Molds but one's got a huge ugly-ass ding in it. Even if I did, a nice clean one would look pretty silly compared to the other three battered ones that are on there now.

What to do?:huh:

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,773 Posts
I think I'd start checking some of the national corvette recyclers to see what they have

·
Registered
39 Posts
I would hope any company doing wheel repair/restoration would have a good tig welder on site. I would trust a well done repair for normal normal driving, but I doubt I'd do any top speed runs on one. Of course if I were doing top speed runs, I'm not sure I would trust 20 year old factory wheels anyway.

Either way it sounds like your problem is solved.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would hope any company doing wheel repair/restoration would have a good tig welder on site. I would trust a well done repair for normal normal driving, but I doubt I'd do any top speed runs on one. Of course if I were doing top speed runs, I'm not sure I would trust 20 year old factory wheels anyway.

Either way it sounds like your problem is solved.
I would certainly hope the shop would employ a good tig welder, but since the only one near here is a wholesaler through the local tire shop, I don't have much chance of going over there and meeting the guys. Made me a little leery, but like you said, problem seems to be solved:partyon:

I imagine it won't be long until the next one cracks:laughing:
If that happens, I guess I'll have to take out a second mortgage for some new wheels:nuts:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts