1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,948 Posts

I like their sockets and wrenches but I have never liked Craftsman ratchets.

The only other input I have in those kits is I find a lot of tools are being paid for that might not ever get used.

I tend to buy my tools as I need them, and I end up with a collection that I use specifically and therefor has more value.

Thanks for the link though, for someone looking for an all in one idea, that's a great price.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Craftsman has some really good sales on the tools right now.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I am reallly disappointed in their return policy. It used to be you could bring in a Craftsman anything and they would replace it for free. Now not so much. A buddy of mine had a Craftsman torque wrench break recently and Sears wouldn't replace it. 10 years ago while scuba diving in FL I found a tool box that had fell overboard full of craftsman wrenches. Even though they were all rusted up Sears still replaced every one of them.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I baught a Craftsman air ratchet and small butterfly ratchet...I used both of them maybe a half dozen times...Both of them broke within 12 months. Took them to Sears and they wouldn't replace or fix...There air tools SUCK...I will never buy there air tools again...I went to Home Depot baught there air tools with lifetime warranty...

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
I wonder how much of the Craftsman tools are made in the U.S.

I would absolutely never buy a tool made anywhere outside the U.S. I don't care how much more they cost.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I highly doubt that anything is actually made in the US anymore. Even stuff put together in the US is done with foreign made components. I personally don't care where the product is made as long as it is quality. I got a great out of a guy once who said I will never own anything not made in America but drives a new Camaro.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I have a couple of Craftsman torque wrenches that are probably 10 years old or so. One of them, 3/8" drive has the ratchet mechanism worn in one spot, so you have to be careful when pushing or pulling on it cause it is going to slip. I tried to get it warrantied when it first happened, about a year after I got it and they quickly told me they do not have a lifetime warranty on torque wrenches. The 1/2" drive version I have has been very good and has had no problems.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There ratchets do really suck but this would make a good part of a starter kit

·
Registered
15 Posts
Craftsman tools

If you have ever held a Snap-on ratchet in your hand--you would never buy Craftsman ratchets. Guys who work on cars for a living swear by Snap-on ratchets. If you work with a Snap-on ratchet all day you will feel the difference. My Dad used to say, "Buy cheap--Get Cheap"

·
Registered
476 Posts
Snap-on is pretty good. They have a good return policy, almost fool proof unless they can see the pipe marks on the ratchet. Their ratchets are alot better now, I bought one a couple months ago which only needs 4dgr of movement to the next tooth, very smooth and very strong but the ratchet set me back $128.

As for air tools, Snap-on is waaaay to heavy and expensive, ingersoll rand is much better and just as tough.

·
Registered
332 Posts
:DYep over here in Western Australia Snapon is the tool of choise if you can afford them at over double the price of normal pro tools. I must say there quality is second to none but so it should be at there prices!

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
If you have ever held a Snap-on ratchet in your hand--you would never buy Craftsman ratchets. Guys who work on cars for a living swear by Snap-on ratchets. If you work with a Snap-on ratchet all day you will feel the difference. My Dad used to say, "Buy cheap--Get Cheap"
I swear by Snap-On tools too. Every time I'm standing in their truck and look at the prices I swear. :laughing:

I will admit, you get what you pay for and Snap-On was all my father ever bought. And like Kenny said, they do have some nice calenders! :D

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Matco Tools arent to bad either depending on what tool it is. They do sell some that are on par with Snap On as well as cheap stuff. Dont forget Mac Tools either. I use all brands depending on what I need, price, availability, and if like. Hell I have some cheap china tools because I needed it "now" and that was all that was available locally. It sometimes gets the job done. :laughing:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts