Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I have been pondering over Cragar SS wheels for my 77' for a while. I have learned about their unibolt pattern, possible balancing problems, etc. from back in the day. I have been revisiting the idea due to the fact that they can now be had in 17 inches and direct bolt. I have seen 17x8 and 17x9 as well to possible stagger. I also understand that they have some that can be custom made now, but trying not to go that route for cost reasons. I see that the best possible off the shelf backspace is 4.5" whereas I know we use a 4" backspace. Ok now to my question. Is anybody running these wheels with 4.5" bs? If anybody is running Cragars can you give us some info on what is working for you? I don't want them to sit too far in. I see why everyone uses Torque Thrust wheels due to the fact that they work so well, and look so good. I guess that is why we don't see alot of Cragars. Thanks as always.

·
Premium Member
9,731 Posts
I love the old Cragars! I use to have them on my '68 Camaro. Not sure about the new versions of Cragars, but the old ones will not clear the brake calipers. I found out the hard way when I used one of them as a spare and when I had a flat out in the middle of no where, the Cragar would not clear the calipers.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for the input. I see Vettes on the internet with them, and I have a feeling they are using spacers.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I am wondering the EXACT same thing about 17 inch Cragars for my 74. Would like to run 17x9 all around but would be willing to stagger with 17x8 front and 17x9 rear.

I have read on CorvetteForum that the 17 inch versions will clear C3 calipers without a spacer. Anybody know?

Thanks!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I read a write up on a chrome bumper shark in Corvette Fever online. It's an older article but the owner states he is using 61 series Cragar SS 17x8 with 245/45/17 and 17x9 with 275/40/17. There is also a red Vette on Ebay now that is for sale. He had chrome C5 ZO6 wheels, but swapped them for 17 inch Cragar SS wheels. There is also a black chrome bumper shark on eBaymotors right now with 17 inch Cragar SS wheels.

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
I loved the Cragar's on my new 1969 Charger R/T. They had a quality issue back then because the chrome peeled off in big strips after only a year. I went to the satin black center American "mags" and liked them better.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I had Crager alum. slots on my 69 for 34 years with no probs.
I didnt have clearence issues with the calipers but they were close so I ran 1/4 inch spacers for ease of mind. I still have the cragers and they are like new but reinstalled the stock rallys after restoration for correctness.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts