Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

When I replace my crank pulley next weekend I need to replace the stock bolt. Does anybody know what size it needs to be?

Also, what gaskets are reusable and which ones need to be replaced? I'm going all the way into the Timing Chain cover and Headers are to be installed.

Thanks guys,

Josh

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anybody got an idea?

·
Premium Member
15,763 Posts
You will need to go to the dealer for the replacement crank bolt. You will need to replace the header gaskets, waterpump gaskets, timing cover gaskets, and timing cover seal.
Why are you going into the timing cover?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First off, I'm doing a cam swap this week. That is why I'm going all the way in. Secondly, can the exhaust manifold gaskets work with headers? Thanks for the heads up on the timing chain cover gasket. I wasn't sure if it was reuseable or not. I'm going by Chevrolet today to pick this stuff up.

Thanks Spiderpat.

Josh

·
Premium Member
15,763 Posts
You're going to need the head gaskets also. If you're going with headers you'll need to get the gaskets for a 2001 ls1 camaro, they're round and thats the ones I use with my LG longtubes. :thumbsup: they run about $38.
What Cam are you using?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info Spider. I am getting the LG GX53 cam and package to go with it. I'm also getting the LG Pro LTs. I've went ahead and upgraded the oil pump and timing chain to a Blueprinted/Ported LS6 and LS2, respectively. Thermostat will be switched for a 160* one and got the ASP UD Pulley. I should start tear down tomorrow night, seeing that I got my dad's truck up and running minus one exhaust leak, b/c the kit sent bolts that slip through the flanges. Have to get a washer and bolt it back up.

Josh

·
Premium Member
15,763 Posts
Here's the parts list you will need for the install.
replace all head bolts as you will be taking the heads off and cannot re use them.
Head gaskets. (use only the oem cometic style)
Valve cover gaskets.
Crank bolt.
header bolts.
Exhaust Gaskets (use the 2000-2001 Camero LS1 factory cometic gaskets, they are round in shape at the ports).
Water pump gaskets.
Timing cover gaskets.
oilpan gaskets. ( you will need to loosen the oilpan enough to drop it so that you can get the oil pump out. It connects to the front of the Crank.)

Get a torque degree wheel.

Reason for this is... you will tighten the head bolts to 22 ft lbs of torque in sequence then tighten them to 90 degrees in a second pass. Then tighten them to 90 degrees again except for the last two which are tightened to 50 degrees.
You will use the old crank bolt to run the dampener back on and tighten to 240 ft lbs of torque. then use the new crank bolt and tighten to 37 ft lbs of torque for a first pass. Then tighten the balancer bolt to 140 degrees for a second pass.
The header bolts get tightened to 8ft lbs of torque for a first pass and 22lbs in the second pass.
Do you need the sequence?
Have fun Josh :thumbsup:
If you need any advice, PM me and I'll give you my Cell number to call :thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts