Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I have had the notorious problem of the crank pulley bolt and pulley backing out on me. :bang: I plan on replacing the bolt sometime within the next week and have been searching several forums on info on this ordeal. I have ran across several C5 owners that have "pinned" their pulley. This might sound elementary, but how exactly are people doing this? Does anyone have any pictures or links to sites that have step-by-step instructions on this procedure? ANY help and input on this situation would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance everyone!

~Bobby

·
Premium Member
15,763 Posts
I pinned my crank for the maggie install. Here's a Pic. I should also add that the pic is of the tool that was supplied from magnacharger.

Pinning the Crank will not keep the bolt from backing out.
Did you remove the Crank bolt?
If you did, then you need to replace it and use the proper torque sequence.
Tighten the Crank bolt to 55 ft lbs of torque then tighten to 140 degrees of torque.

·
Registered
21 Posts
There are two types of pinning kits. The first is an end-on pin like the one shown above where the drill is done from the end of the crankshaft snout. The second drills the crank from the side and installs the pin like a key. This latter kit is made by ATI an their dampers have keyways built into them already. There is one other aftermarket damper that also has a keyway machined but I don't remember which.

Here is the ATI kit:

Here is it installed on my car. The aluminum foil was to keep chips out of the oil pan as my car was in the middle of a cam swap when I did it. However, if you leave the timing cover in place the hub that is used to guide the drill fits in the front seal and will keep the chips out. It is a very well thought out and high quality kit and includes a titanium drill bit and reamer along with the proper guides.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts