Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Must say I have been going both ways on this Crank pulley deal...Latest info says that a little less than 100 have had a problem....3200 care free miles on mine now , but after a conversation with my tech , and service manager I decided to get it done...Their comment was that if would make me feel more secure (my wife drives it some ) lets do it.....Goes in Wensday 23.....

· Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Absolutly no cost.....From what I was told there has been a notice (which service rep printed out)about problem....No question asked ,covered 100 %warranty...Even letting me watch the OPERATION on my baby.....:(

· Premium Member
69,122 Posts
dwight love said:
Absolutly no cost.....From what I was told there has been a notice (which service rep printed out)about problem....No question asked ,covered 100 %warranty...Even letting me watch the OPERATION on my baby.....:(
If you had a Ford Focus and told your mechanic you wanted to watch the warranty work being doing he would tell you to "take a hike, fruitcake".

· Registered
5,090 Posts
dwight love said:
I don't know how you pulled that off, but , congratulations for doing so!
It was my understanding that the problem would be done under warrantee only IF the bolt backed off. Good for you!

· Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe there is a differance in dealerships..Some that customer satisfaction is an actual pryority ,and some that take the cash and close the door behind you.....This was a four way decision between myself .salesman. service manager.and C6 Tech....Going on some extended trips this summer and didnt want this on my mind.....:thumbsup:

· Registered
168 Posts
DEFINITION

The Crank Balancer Bolt is not OVERTORQUED..You need to get with a mechanic that knows something about the LS1 and LS2 Engines.
The Crank Shaft Balancer and Crank Shaft are not keyed to gether like engines in the past. The Balancer is actually a press fit to the crank. Since this is a press fit, it will not take the torque forces impossed on it. There seems to be a machining defect on the crank shaft end, it maybe a tad bit smaller than it should be, which really compounds the problem. If you let this this go along un-corrected, and by the balancer turns just a little on the crank shaft, there by transferring metal to the crank.....time to change the crank...don't wait for that to happen. What the special washer does is this, it provides new bearing surface for the back of the balancer to the face of the crank..Properly torqued, and that is a must, properly torqued, the problem should be corrected. This problem even exist on LS1 motors, most of the performance builders actually machine key ways where they are suppose to be:
All you need to do is this, hold a screw driver against belt, on the rear side of course, let it tear the belt up a little , then run down to your local dealership and say, hey look here, its coming loose................they will fix it then..don't wait until it happens...will really tear up your car...sure its under warranty, but why wait. The belt is the first thing they look for anyway....

· Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you , and it is because of yours and others problem ,that this has helped me make the decision to go forward with repair....The debate as to fix or wait for "signs" could go on and on , but for pease of mind I will proceed ....Thanks again LKicklight for your feedback in the forum and privately.....:thumbsup:

· Registered
331 Posts
sdowney said:
i got number 1371 should i be worried i have got almost6500 miles on mine and no hit of trouble.
While most of the reported failures have happened at relatively low miles, a member of another forum just reported that his failed yesterday, at 6,000 miles. So making it to 6,500 miles is no guarantee that you won't have the problem at a later date.

I'd also note that the LS1 uses the same system, and we are now hearing from some owners of vehicles with that engine that they have experienced the failure too. So the problem seems generic to the unkeyed design adopted by GM for this series of small block engines.

The reported number of failures is still low, so the odds of any particular engine experiencing this failure are also low, but they aren't anywhere near zero. For the 98,000,000 previous generation small blocks which *did* key the dampener to the crank, the number of occurances is so low as to be virtually zero. That system worked, and worked very well. The current system which relies only on friction, and astronomical crank bolt torque, is obviously not as good. I'd go so far as to call it a design error.

· Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wensday 23 : Just got back from spending better part of the day getting new bolt installed...Not a scratch or spot on car..They did a great job,took 4.5 hours ...Talked to the tech in depth and he informed me that the original showed no sign of failure...Now its over and I will not worry at all....By the way VIN# 2048:thumbsup:

· Registered
05 C6 Converable Base
5 Posts
Just had a summit harmonic balancer installed on my LS2, much to my dismay the ARP bolt i ordered was not the right one, the shop installed the new balancer and reused the stock bolt :(. they wont fix it now that i have the correct bolt. is it possible to change the bolt without the whole steering rack and sub frame work?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts