Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building a Gen V 454 for my 78 Vette. I am still in the planning stage of how to build this engine. My goal for the Vette is to be driven as a fun driver on my times off. I would like to approach the 500 HP mark, but as long as it is solid in the 400 HP range and has plenty of torque, I will be happy.

This Big Block started life as a High Output engine in a tow truck. It is a standard deck, 4 bolt main. I am not sure what kind of crank it has, but am sure it is cast.

My question is should I spend the extra bucks and get a Forged Steel Crank, or as long as this crank is good, keep this one?

What are the advantages, and disadvantages between Forged Steel Cranks, and Cast Cranks?

Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
If money is a concern, keep the original but, have it checked out for a little added insurance. In all honesty, the HP you are looking for should be fine with the cast crank in a BB.

If you have the money and want to ensure your motor is as bulletproof as possible, go the forged route.

I would go with the forged crank myself because I believe in over building to a degree. I believe in longevity and not having to build another motor years down the road. People my say it's a waste of money but, it would give me peace of mind. Plus I drive all of my vehicles real hard and want durability.

·
Premium Member
9,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bubblehead!

When I tear down the bottom end of the block, I will see what condition the crank is in and decide from there.

I am like you in that I tend to overbuild.....you should see my workbench! I could park a complete big block w/ trans on it without worrying of it collapsing!

I am leaning towards the forged crank just for the peace of mind.

Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
I think the peace of mind is worth the few extra bucks. Keep us informed of your build up. :thumbsup: :D

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Mine's forged. Not necessary by any means on an engine that doesn't spin past 6000 rpm. Cast cranks survived well in 7000 rpm supercharged mustangs.

Forged is good for piece of mind though. My entire bottom end was $3000. I don't regret spending the money for good rods/pistons and a crank.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts