Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed today that my harmonic balancer has a "wobble" to it.No belt squeak or anything but after doing some reading here I want to check it to see if it is tight.I do not have a socket big enough to fit it.Can anyone tell me what size the crank bolt is?? I will get a socket in the morning.
Also,if the bolt is tight what do I do next?? Do I need another pulley?? If anyone has a link to a thread,showing how to do this job I would appreciate it.I want to get right on this before it slings off and tears everything up.
Is the crankshaft bolt right or left handed threads ?

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Check to see if your outer ring has separated from the inner ring as they are held together by a rubber ring.

I have seen several balancers that have some albeit small wobble to them, without wearing the belt. :crazy:

I have had to replace the factory balancer twice :WTF...... 1. prior to my superchargering.... 2. then after when the two halves of the balancer separated.

IMO the factory balancer is weak in design....just my .02

·
Registered
606 Posts
The damper crank bolt is a torque to yield type so once used it stretches and cannot be used again and must be replaced

There is no room between rack and pulley to get a socket on

This means the steering rack has to be moved out of the way and a new bolt used.
Also to do it right you need to lock down the flywheel so engine does not turn when properly torquing new bolt as per GM install process

I noticed today that my harmonic balancer has a "wobble" to it.No belt squeak or anything but after doing some reading here I want to check it to see if it is tight.I do not have a socket big enough to fit it.Can anyone tell me what size the crank bolt is?? I will get a socket in the morning.
Also,if the bolt is tight what do I do next?? Do I need another pulley?? If anyone has a link to a thread,showing how to do this job I would appreciate it.I want to get right on this before it slings off and tears everything up.
Is the crankshaft bolt right or left handed threads ?

Thanks,

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feed back guys.Do you happen to know what size that bolt is??? Also,how hard is it to get the steering rack out of the way?? I just went outside and cranked the car and I revved it up and I am noticing a vibration ,so it must be loose for sure.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Thanks for the feed back guys.Do you happen to know what size that bolt is??? Also,how hard is it to get the steering rack out of the way?? I just went outside and cranked the car and I revved it up and I am noticing a vibration ,so it must be loose for sure.
If you have to ask how hard the job is, you don't even want to tackle it. If you have to replace the crankshaft balancer, here's what needs to come off the car or get moved out of the way:

AC Belt
power steering gear
starter motor
tie rod ends
tires and wheels
stabilizer shaft
power steering pressure hose
power steering return hose
brake pipes from the crossmember
power steering gear
catalytic converter

The list goes on and on but you get the point. Not a job for a noob.

·
Registered
175 Posts
In my opinion, if you are going to do some involved type work, you should have a factory service manual or at least a Haynes type manual.

Since this job appears to require disconnecting and moving several items, you should have a good variety of tools and proper lifting equipment(good jack and stands).

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
If you are patient, it can be done on jackstands. I did:

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104308&highlight=damper+replacement

That how-to thread is not edited (posted it and forgot) and doesn't contain the pictures, but your thread reminded me that I need to go back and finish breaking up that wall of text.

And yea, it sucks the first time. It took me 20+ hours of just tip-toeing through, earmarking the FSM. I had to replace the steering rack not long afterwards, which requires the same steps except for removing the starter. That only took 2 hours. If you decide to do it, be patient an ask questions if you need to. Again, sorry the thread wasn't edited earlier.

EDIT: Cleaned it up a little bit and added some photos.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts