Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This last Sunday I lost control of the car and crashed into a tree. I walked away. This is my second Z06 and I still have a c5 Z06 too. Never had an issue - thought I knew the limits and have been very respectful of its power. But I'm mystified by this - I was going round an uphill corner, fed in some power progressively and the back end completely lost it, I snaked side to side for a bit then went head long into the tree.

The Active Handling did not seem to help at all - I used lots of opposite lock both ways to control the car by which time it was too late.

I know lots of people will say - bad driver etc, and maybe that's true but I own a lot of cars, and have driven everything from Porsche to Lambos and Ferraris on road and track with no ill effect till now.

The only thing I can think of is that cold tires on this car seem to be bad news, and they would have still been a little cold.

Are there any known problems with Active Handling or TC on these cars. Happy to blame myself for this but there's a nagging doubt in my mind about the car now.....

Attachments

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Ouch! That sucks.

I would have to say the below freezing temps reduce the margin between grip and non-grip for performance tires.

I had my GS out last week in 28F temp, and lost it for a second or two while accelerating in third at about 45 mph. All of a sudden I went from gripping to nothing. I figured it's time to keep it off the roads until it's above freezing.

Sorry man.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Damn, I hope your all right.
Those cars are wicked fast.
You will get another, i'm sure of it.

NO MORE WINTER DRIVING

·
Registered
11,227 Posts
....I was looking more at the condition of the street pavement
possible debris and cold weather combined could have caused
you to lose it...just a thought.

....wow, that was a great looking ride...:surprised

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
That road condition is pretty typical for this time of year in NJ. Looks like somewhere in the northern valley. I moved from NJ ~2 years ago and it the roads are sometimes not driveable. Could it have been some 'black ice'? Is it a total, or are you going to fix it?

Sorry to hear of this, but you walked away, and that is always better than the alternative. You can always get another vette.

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
Those pics never work for me....

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Sorry to see this. No it's not your driving. Stuff happens. Glad your OK. I know it made you sick to get out and see your car in that condition.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
there isnt no repair to that car unfortunetly. but glad your ok.

also yes cold pavment and COLD Z rated tires equal no traction.

ususally performance tires have to get warm before they start gettin sticky, plus the way the road looked very possible could be some small dirt particls all over it to help with loss of traction.

I can tell you that active handling and traction control really dont do alot once you lose the car, infact they can actually keep you from recovering sometimes

Very sad indeed
good luck with repair

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yep

u

will

get

another

one

buddy
I'm glad people know I will get another. I think I will. However most people (this being Suburban NJ) are telling me to get an A**i or a 4WD P*****e but I haven't got that ill yet.

The sad thing is I bought that baby new in San Diego and drove it all the way home to NJ. Route 66 and all that. Still maybe I need a red one now.

·
DC Crew
32,976 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about placing blame, sometimes **** happens, sorry you wrecked your car.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Cold tires is a definite recipe for disaster...too bad you had to learn the hard way but thankfully you're still around to make sure it does not happen again. GL with the next one bro!

·
Registered
146 Posts
May have been a combination attributable to both conditions; weather, and "active handling" -- if the OP hasn't had the "safety recall" performed.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Below 45 degrees...hello back end. Sorry, just a perfect storm of circumstances...elevation change,turn, temp, lots of power, runcraps...

·
Premium Member
4,611 Posts
Hi,

Most unfortunate for your car, glad that you were able to walk away.

FWIW, every time I drive in difficult conditions, I switch off the computer completely because it goes nuts and I haven't been able to learn how to drive with it on.

That being said, as some have said, **** happens. I broke the front fender after a weekend outing in the snow last Saturday as I was pulling the car into the garage (which is actually an easy operation).

Once more sorry about your bad luck, but on the positive side you walked away alive and un-injured.

:cheers:

Fluffy.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts