Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had their top (transparent) start creaking. I have taken it off and reset it and it seems to be just on the driver's side. I thought I read on this forum someone who had the problem with their C6 and solved it. I'm tired of turning up the Bose!

Please share your expertise!

Thanks

·
Registered
246 Posts
Is it making noise where the window meets the roof? If so, apparently all you can do is have the dealership put some kind of silcone stuff on the gasket where the window meets the roof. They did this on mine and it stopped the creaking, but I ended up with stuff on the top around the edge of the window which looks terrible. It's wearing off now and the creaking is coming back though. :down:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Todd. I have some of that silcone emulsion from GM. I will try it on the rubber where the window hits the top.

Gerryd

·
Registered
270 Posts
The silicone will definitely cure the squeaking. GM is now using a new type of weatherstripping that, supposedly, doesn't squeak. The newer production C6s are getting this. The silicone dressing will last a few months, then just do it again.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Stan...I tried it this morning and it is as quiet as a tomb...you are right!

I will get ready in a month or so to lather it up again.

·
Registered
28 Posts
You could also try loosening the two hex bolts on either side of the rear J hook of the top. Turn the J hook 1 or 2 turns clockwise and tighten the bolts back. I did this to mine and it makes for a tighter roof seal.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks KISSfn. I thought my problem was corrected but I heard it again coming home for lunch. I am going to try this tonight.

The guys that have had their's corrected with silcone from the dealer, must have had a heavier silcone used from the dealer than the one you can buy from GM (silcone emulsion) to treat all weatherstripping.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have this problem as well. I will try the bolt fix. So as I understand it, you just loosen the two pins on the rear of the roof then retighten them?? Is there more to it than that? Any additional info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree...there are no hex nuts...that was the configuration on my C5.

There are 2 screws which hold down a plastic cover...are the hex bolts under the plastic?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sorry, it had been a while since I fixed mine and I explained it from memory incorrectly. Release the rear inside latch. This will expose the J hook. There is 1 bolt facing the rear of the car that keeps the J hook tight in it's housing. Use an allen wrench to loosen but not remove this bolt. Then you can turn the J hook clockwise 1 but no more than 2 turns for a tighter fit. Then tighten the bolt back.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I spent hours with what I thought was the top squeaking to finally determine that it was the plastic mirror cover to the sun visors squeaking against the roof panel. I have had roof panel squeaks & pops before and this sounded identical. If nothing else, checking your visors might at least eliminate one possible source for the noise. Good luck!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Top squeak:
Called the dealer and he wants to see it. Taking it Tuesday...he says it could be out of adjustment!

I will let you know what they find!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Top sqeaks / rattles

someone must take a picture to show exactly what pins or hooks that need adjustment and where to put the lubricant, please I have the same problem on the 2013

·
Registered
1,078 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,061 Posts
Cool Vid. Inspired me to pull maintenance on mine this weekend!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Sqeaking/Popping Top Fix

After 4 trips to the dealer with my '13, and they trying different things to fix it including new latches, I found that after a few days or so it would come back. I then found that it was not only the top but mainly the rear hatch. I applied a thin coat of Di-electric silicone lube on both the upper and lower hatch gaskets and the top and after several months or so, it has still not returned. I was at the point that I was ready to get rid of the car. Very happy with it now. Give it a try and I think you will find it was worth the couple of bucks for the Di-electric silicone. :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
After 4 trips to the dealer with my '13, and they trying different things to fix it including new latches, I found that after a few days or so it would come back. I then found that it was not only the top but mainly the rear hatch. I applied a thin coat of Di-electric silicone lube on both the upper and lower hatch gaskets and the top and after several months or so, it has still not returned. I was at the point that I was ready to get rid of the car. Very happy with it now. Give it a try and I think you will find it was worth the couple of bucks for the Di-electric silicone. :)
Hey dmad1,

I’m sorry to hear that you were having so much trouble with the removable top on your C6. I can completely understand how this would be frustrating, especially after four trips to the dealer. However, I’m glad to hear that you were able to find a simple fix with just a little dielectric silicone. We want to make sure you stay in the Chevy family! Please continue to keep us all updated here on the forum, and as always, feel free to send us a private message at any time should you have any questions.

Best regards,

Shane M.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
78 Posts
ChevyCustomerSVC - Have GM make a Vette hardtop for those of us that don't want a removable top or a convertible!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts