Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HAS ANYBODY CONVERTED A STOCK CROSS FIRE INJECTION TO A TPI??? THIS MOTOR HAS NOT BEEN CHANGED IN ANY WAY.PLEASE HELP ME OUT WITH ANT SUGGESTIONS.I DONT WANT TO HAVE TO GIVE MY FIRST BORN AWAY FOR THIS CONVERSION,BUT WILLING TO SPEND A LITTLE....HELP:lookinup: :lookinup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,381 Posts
Kenny,
Seen you on another forum......and my answer would still be the same....stick with what you have...you can really wake up this system....alot cheaper than trying to convert...
Just my humble thoughts....
After all to each his own.....You got the $$$$$$$$$, and time...go for it!!!!!!!!!!!
tony
:buhbye: :buhbye:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cross fire injection conversion

thank tony ,i am doing some research on this project,and so far i have come up with a few leads that sound promising.thanks for the reply and i will hang in there,because spring is a knocking:partyon:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,027 Posts
TPI is an awesome system, I would go for it. Physically, it should bolt right on.

The tough part comes when you need to wire everything up. Never looking into this swap, I'm going to give you my guess as to what needs to be done.

You will probably need to change ECM's, maybe just the chip if you are lucky, but probabaly the complete ECM which may require new connectors. Your biggest project will be tracking down all the wires for the engine harness and mate them to the TPI system.

Now that I think about it, you will probably be better off going with an aftermarket harness for a TPI motor and adapting it to you factory harness considering you have 8 injectors with the TPI system. This would be time consuming when researching it, but the end result, IMHO, will be worth it.

You will spend a lot of time in the wiring diagrams of both motors, but it is very do-able in my opinion. I also love the "look" of the TPI system. :thumbsup:
 

·
El Teafive
Joined
·
10,489 Posts
BubbleHead said:


You will probably need to change ECM's, maybe just the chip if you are lucky, but probabaly the complete ECM which may require new connectors. Your biggest project will be tracking down all the wires for the engine harness and mate them to the TPI system.

Now that I think about it, you will probably be better off going with an aftermarket harness for a TPI motor and adapting it to you factory harness considering you have 8 injectors with the TPI system. This would be time consuming when researching it, but the end result, IMHO, will be worth it.
Get a harness out of an 86 and be sure it had the same AC options as your 84.. Most of it will then be plug and play.. TRUST ME..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,151 Posts
The TPI is VERY popular with the hot rodders
Painless wireing makes a stand alone harness for the TPI to go into anything!!... Look into it, It will save you lots of time and headaches
:thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
I'm keeping my crossfire, the last part that I need to complete my rebuild should be here next week, then off to the shop, I'll keep you posted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
0 Posts
Alcee1 said:
I'm keeping my crossfire, the last part that I need to complete my rebuild should be here next week, then off to the shop, I'll keep you posted.
Good luck with the x-ram...I hope it works out better 4 you than it did 4 me!:thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
JCswm said:
The TPI is VERY popular with the hot rodders
Painless wireing makes a stand alone harness for the TPI to go into anything!!... Look into it, It will save you lots of time and headaches
:thumbsup:
checked with painless/they make a harness to go from cfi to tbi.I was more interested in tpi but will do a little more research.Thanks for that link to painless,for it may be a god send in the furture.:partyon: :buhbye:
 

·
Official Forklift Driver
Joined
·
7,068 Posts
Jay 383 said:
How did I know MR CARB would suggest that?:rolleyes: :laughing:
Eric loves that carb! :laughing:


kenny, if/when you get the TPI check it out and see if it could use some porting. If you get ahold of a stock unit it will need it. I'm not sure what the aftermarket TPI's look like inside. You could also use a modded LT1 intake if you are looking for other options. I don't have the link for that but it's a bigger project.
 

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
Joined
·
12,667 Posts
Jay 383 said:
How did I know MR CARB would suggest that?:rolleyes: :laughing:
no doubt,i'm not against it,did it to my 83 trans-am,it did make the car slower (until more mods) but that is a very illegal thing to do,depending were you live.can you say impound yard.:surprised
www.tpis.com did your wife get the mustang Kenny.?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
hawaii-5-lo said:
no doubt,i'm not against it,did it to my 83 trans-am,it did make the car slower (until more mods) but that is a very illegal thing to do,depending were you live.can you say impound yard.:surprised
www.tpis.com did your wife get the mustang Kenny.?
black cobra/saddle guts in apr. my vette will starts to get its share this winter.my wife is realley thrilled,went to a bunch of diffrent dealers,and still it,s going to be pricey.ken
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,381 Posts
I messed with my 750cfm holley for years. But even the crossfire injection has done more for my performance, than a stupid 780 holley.
tony
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
oldace84 said:
I messed with my 750cfm holley for years. But even the crossfire injection has done more for my performance, than a stupid 780 holley.
tony
so what your saying is that the conversion to carb(750 cfm holley ) which is in my understanding a beefey carb will not give me that extra 50+ hp.The l-83 is not known for big HP with out major mods,and a tight budget can hampper things.No company such as ecklers mid america ,oh you know them realley offer any thying for the cross fire.X-ram maybe ken
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top