Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought my first Corvette, it is an 84, and paid $2000 for it. Needs a lot of work but have time. What do you have to do to replace the crossfire with a carb? I have seen it done on a lot of 84's and not sure if I have to do something with the computer. I am a lot more familiar with a carb and can tune one. I also like the TPI, could someone give me some insight on that.
thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks it did clear some things up

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I'm with Grumpy on this one, those are the links I was going to post as well. I'm a crossfire owner, and if I replace mine, it will be with EFI again. I own a lot of carb cars, and it's just not the same.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input Muddpile, it is not that I do not like EFI, I do, it is my lack of knoledge. I like the cross fire and would like to keep it if I can make h.p. from it. I have seen the Xram and I know Turbo City can do TB mods.
but I am on a budget and would like to modifiy the stock manifold. Could it support a 383 with the hp between mild and nasty?
what mods have you done to yours?
your car looks very clean, i like it.
did you have to use wheel spacers?

·
Super Moderator
8,488 Posts
the basic crossfire manifold is a HUGE restriction EVEN if ported to the max, the XRAM is nothing but a single plane carb intake with a mickey-mouse adapter to allow the TBI injection to be bolted on.

read thru this

http://www.swko.net/~lionsden/crossfire.htm

either the OFFY or the SY1 intake base, with a custom top plate will be a HUGE improvement, easily able to support 500hp or more on a correctly configured engine with decent heads like the AFR 210cc or AFR 195cc

http://www.airflowresearch.com/210sbc_rh.php

and a decent cam like this crower

http://www.crower.com/misc/cam_spec/cam_finder.php?part_num=00404&x=25&y=17

installed in a 10.5-11.0:1 cpr 383

but keep in mind youll need a 3000rpm stall converter and 3.73:1 rear gear to run those

look its not a guessing game, theres basic factors that must be met to get a certain hp level and thats the compression and air flow must meet a minimum level and the engine have the required compression and basic rpm range to effectively use that air flow rate, a random slapping of mis matched parts to a drive train designed to operate in a differant rpm band will never get to the desired results

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I understand matching parts..cams, manifold, stalls, gears ext. all depends what you are wanting to do and how much money one has. you are right it is not a guessing game, all I was wanting was a little info on the cross fire because I know nothing about it and it is on my car. But after your last reply
I am taking it off. I not going after 500+ hp. maybe 375-400 but it still sounds like that thing needs to come off. Grumpy I thank you for your imput...let you know what I come up with

·
Super Moderator
8,488 Posts

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
The fastest X-Ram car I can think of at the moment is running 12.4 with a 383 in it.

The SY-1 is an excellent intake, but I've heard some complaints of hood clearance with it.

Since the Offy is still in production, I'm strongly considering trying it. I think you need a smaller wiper motor to clear it, but I can't recall.

My car I run a 14.7 with a ported intake, modified swirl plates, Cold Air mod w/ K&N, true dual exhaust w/x-pipe and Targa Mufflers. It's got HUGE bottom end, but no top end....
The wheels are GS lookalikes from AFS wheels, 17x9.5 front and 17x11 rear, no spacers needed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts