Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
finally got around to cleaning up and repainting my cross flag emblems. As you can see in the pics, they needed some attention very badly. I know you can get new ones for $35 each, but I figured I can buy paint for $7 and keep my original badges :thumbsup:

nose badge before:

tank badge before:

stripped the old paint off with nail polish remover. Laid them face down in a thin pan of the stuff for about 7 minutes. Worked really well. Didn't seem to damage the chrome at all, but the paint came off really easily with cue tips and toothpicks

I got some Testor's model car enamel at Hobby Town for under $7 and had a tiny brush at home. The surface texture turned out a little rough, but you only notice if you're looking real close.

nose badge after:

tank badge after:

pulling off the badges also gave me the chance to clean up the paint underneath :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I did the same thing on my old badges. Only I didn't put them back on the car. I used them as something to have displayed on my shelf full of corvettes stuff. Looks good even after about 3 years, but this can in no way compare to being used on a vette out in the weather.

Nice work. They look as good as new and the price is way better.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Did the same, worked great, looks awesome and is slightly cheaper than buying new emblems made in who knows where ... :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, I was wondering about paint longevity. I went a little dark with the red to help counteract a little fading. We'll see how it holds up to water, sun and temperature changes

anyone buy the new "GM" badges that are all over ebay? I'm skeptical that you can get a good chrome badge the same quality as the originals for $35 :huh:

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Very nice job brother !!! If it does flake off, use a "red oxide primer" first,
then a 2 part epoxy from your local paint or hardware store. (every color imaginable)
Red oxide primers are very good at retaining adhesion on shiny metal surfaces, while, the epoxy is "self leveling"
allowing you to "drip" it in to place with a toothpick, due to it's slow "cure" rate.
Anybody can buy them.... Takes pride to paint them !!!!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I did this bike when I was in High School.
The main colors were auto paint by the mural
was done with model car paint and it held up
pretty well. (1983)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Same here. Testor's model paint and a # 1 fine brush...

I couldn't see paying 50 bucks each for new ones !!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts