Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I crossed battery wires on my 91 vette, the battery wont recharge and car is dead, it wont to anything at all, any ideas???

·
Registered
433 Posts
How big of a light show did you get? Any smoke? You may have trouble there no doubt. On the other hand, if no smoke, then you may have gotten off lucky like Kenny suggested... check your fuses... I have no doubt some of them went south regardless of any other issues.
Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
crossed wire on battery 91 corvette

I have checked the fuses at passenger door, under the dash, looking for fusible link a some where near the starter. I know it was a bone head thing to do. My battery was dead and tried to jump start. Dash light turned on and then went dead. no light or smoke show. Hopefully the damage is not to serious.

·
Registered
724 Posts
You have internally shorted out the battery!!! Go buy a new one!

·
Registered
433 Posts
put a knew battery in and everything is dead. There is no power. Its like if the battery was dead.
Is anything lighting up? at the very least the door/interior lights when opening the doors, or headlamps, side marker lights? anything? If none of that and you put in a brand new battery, then check the ground connection at the chassis with a continuity checker. See if the ground cable burned up and or broke between the terminal and the chassis. Make a similar check from the positive terminal to the positive on the starter motor. For that matter, check the connectors used to connect to the battery terminals.... these usually are a simple soft lead, and they do indeed breakdown. Change them out.
Also, while checking the cables themselves watch for in-line fuses. They can be sneaky and one in series with the positive or the ground side will surely kill the whole system.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Check all fuses, relays, with a test light. Then, look for a blown main fuseable link towards the ecm and then the starter solenoid.
Your batterys toast, likely your alternators done too.

Fuseable link is my guess. Hopefully thats all it is...

Good luck.

·
Registered
223 Posts
reverse polarity can fry modules... if all the fuses check out it could run deeper at least thats what I've been told

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
reverse polarity can fry modules...
:agree:
delicate electronics like the ECM and CCM are not going to like having power going backwards

looking for fusible link a some where near the starter.
Is none.
All the links on your car are on the heavy red and orange wires coming off the terminal block on firewall behind battery

Fuseable link is my guess. ...
Reverse polarity shouldn't take out the fuses ;they are not polarity conscious and only blow from a over current load
The fuse you put in your fuse panel goes in both ways; it doesn't care what end is Pos and what end is Neg

·
Premium Member
4,611 Posts
A lot of electronics are protected against polarity issues. Start at the base: check your battery, probably going to have to replace it.

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
Start checking continuity from the battery working out. A lot jockey did that when I purchased a new car because it had been sitting for two months. They ended up replacing ECM, BCM, and part of the dash cluster as a result. I hope your situation is less serious.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts