Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here ever seen a really niceley detailed or custom painted 1984 crossfire engine? So far I have painted the lid a metallic pearl red high-heat and plan on doing the valve covers too. Is there anything else under there that I could do that would make it look good? I can't see anything that looks like it but maybe I'm missing something. The red on the air cleaner lid looks really sharp compared to the stained and scratched magnesium with the oil change stats written in felt pen on the top.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot man. i think ive found a few ideas now. All thats left is to put them onto the car.

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,520 Posts
Don't forget to post some pics when you get finished. Or better yet, some before and after

·
Registered
0 Posts
Before I did away with the crossfire I painted my air cleaner admiral blue with a white stripe & red slashes & the valve covers admiral blue to match & it looked awsome!:)

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that would look sweet! The Grand sport paint job is a work of art. Who woulda thought that a giant white stripe down the middle of the car and a couple little red stripes on one side of one fender could ever look that good? Have any pics of that paint combo? I'd be interested to see it if you do. How hard is it to get to the valve covers to take em off and paint em? I havent really looked into it yet, but they seem to have a lot of stuff over and around them. Also, would I have to replace the gaskets before I put the covers back on?

·
Registered
0 Posts
muddpile said:
that would look sweet! The Grand sport paint job is a work of art. Who woulda thought that a giant white stripe down the middle of the car and a couple little red stripes on one side of one fender could ever look that good? Have any pics of that paint combo? I'd be interested to see it if you do. How hard is it to get to the valve covers to take em off and paint em? I havent really looked into it yet, but they seem to have a lot of stuff over and around them. Also, would I have to replace the gaskets before I put the covers back on?
I dont have any digital pics of the setup....I still have the air cleaner but I removed the Grand Sport emblems (I put GS emblems where it said Cross Fire) so it doesnt look as good...I will try to snap a picture of it & post it monday....The valve covers come off easy!:thumbsup: Good luck!:cheers:

·
Registered
0 Posts
Oh yeah yes you have to replace the gasket...I think the alternator has to be removed or Ac to remove the covers....I dont remember .:huh: Its really a easy job.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll have to go to my shop sometime this week and see if I can get em off. I just got new gaskets put on em 6 months ago (the old ones were leaking badly and patched up with silicone). I guess a new set can't cost too terribly much. I'm not sure what I paid last time. The shop did a whole bunch of little things for me that I didn't have the time nor the parts to do. Also, do you know if there is any way to attach the pin back onto the back of the crossfire emblem? One pin broke off the one emblem when I was putting it back on.

·
Registered
0 Posts
muddpile said:
Also, do you know if there is any way to attach the pin back onto the back of the crossfire emblem? One pin broke off the one emblem when I was putting it back on.
Buy a tube of 3-m black weaTHERSTRIP ADHEASIVE I just glue it!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was thinking of that as a last resort, but I suppose since I have one and a half pins still, and if I use it sparingly enough it should turn out good. The air cleaner lid and the fastener nuts are drying right now. Next is the valve covers. The motor is clean enough, but that discolored magnesium just does not do anything under that hood justice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts