Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought an 84 corvette with around 60k on it. First i Put new SS magnaflow on because when i put it into gear I would hear this tinny clank. I thought it was the mufflers, they did rattle. After spending way to much money at the exhaust place, I heard the same noise exiting the parking lot. Now I figured it must be the u-joints on the drive shaft. Swapped those out. The main drive shaft and the right rear. You can still hear it. Now i just took it to a shop to have the one remaining side done and they told me i wasn't the U-joint but the rear hub assembly. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
636 Posts
Just a bit of information. One of our fellow forum members (TwinTurbo) informed me a while back about a service bulletin regarding early C4s. The halfshafts themselves will make the occasional tinny clink. The fix was to drill a small hole in the halfshaft, spray in a small amount of oil, and then plug the hole with a small set screw. This quieted down the noise from the halfshaft where the yokes are welded to the shaft.
I certainly have no first hand evidence that the problem is not with your rear hub. But at least this will increase your data or knowledge base.
Good luck.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I had the same problem with my 84 and so I changed all the U-Joints and guess what, I still had the same problem. Next I changed the Hub Assembly and I still had the tiny clink when I put the car in gear, however I did notice it to be louder in Reverse than in Forward. To make a long story short I put the car up on jackstands like I should have done in the first place and troubleshooted the problem (instead of using my know it all knowledge being a ASE Master Tech) and when the car was placed in gear I noticed one of my right trailing arms moving forward when the selector was being placed in drive and backwards when the selector was placed in reverse. The bushing in my 20 yr old car was cracked and missing a few little pieces, so now I've replaced all of my suspension bushings and have no more clink/clank when I shift my car into gear. Your car may have low miles but rubber deteriorates over time!!!!! I'm not saying that bushings are your problem like it was with mine, but an ounce of prevention is worth a whole lot more than a ton of headaches, waisted time, and needless money coming out of your wallet. Take your time and climb down underneath that car and pinpoint where that noise is coming from, trust me this isn't usually rocket science here and it lets you learn about your car and you can have a few beers in the process. What can better than that? :cheers:

Cliff

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
My car has clanked for years. I've checked all the common places and whatnot, and have never found a problem. I've just learned to ignore it and check all the common places once in a while just in case.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Another cause for the clank is the need for an additional washer when installing new wheel assemblies. I beleive there was a service bulliten on it. The part number is * 14076924 , and my local chevy dealer stocked them. only a couple bucks a piece. With 60k wouldn't think the assmblies would be bad unless there is a lot of slop in them. They are kind of a PITA to change cause the torx bolts are a little hard to get to. Also went through several bits just trying to break them lose.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts