Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe the Crossfire fuel injection can be converted into a carberator. However I dont know where to find this sort of conversion kit, or how much it may cost. I would like for my 84' vette to have a carb because of the ease of maintence and I also plan on adding some performance parts. Speaking of which, any suggestions on where to start for basic performance. It already has flowmasters. I would like to start with the basic engine components, then maybe even a supercharger. Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
Just slap on a carb and the manifold of your choice and get a vac. adv. hei and a TCC switch and you''re done.

How many ponies are you looking for? It might very well be possible to reach that with the CFI still in there.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the thing is, i dont want to have limits that are set by Xfire injection. I still think that a carburetor has more potential than fuel injection. The crossfire fuel injection is certainly not a state of the art fuel injection. If I get it to a normal chevy 350, I can start tweaking it the way you would for a muscle car, because, I dont drive it everyday and emissions is not an issue. I want some serious performance now and in the future, and I think that fuel injection will limit that. With a carburetored 350, the possibilities are endless.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
I'd think the easiest/fastest/cheapest way would buy a $100.00 engine stand park your crossfire motor on it & install the crate motor of your choice!!

·
Registered
0 Posts
blakblur said:
I believe the Crossfire fuel injection can be converted into a carberator. However I dont know where to find this sort of conversion kit, or how much it may cost. I would like for my 84' vette to have a carb because of the ease of maintence and I also plan on adding some performance parts. Speaking of which, any suggestions on where to start for basic performance. It already has flowmasters. I would like to start with the basic engine components, then maybe even a supercharger. Thanks for the suggestions.
Drop me an email with a fax # ....I have a great article that tells in depth how to convert a crossfire to carb. It definetly can be done! :D

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I removed the crossfire intake off of my engine and put an Edelbrock performer with a holley 750 and I never had any problems. I later found out the Crossfire engine was a 2 bolt main

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
The 700R4 does not have computer controlled shift points, the 4L60E has that. The only thing ECU controlled is the lockup converter and that can easily be done by a switch.

The 82 engine is 2 bolt, yes.. what's the problem there???

·
Registered
0 Posts
TwinTurbo said:
The 700R4 does not have computer controlled shift points, the 4L60E has that. The only thing ECU controlled is the lockup converter and that can easily be done by a switch.

The 82 engine is 2 bolt, yes.. what's the problem there???
:agree: Except a switch isnt necessary on a 84!:thumbsup:

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
oh no? why is it not necessary on an 84? the system on the 82 is exactly the same as on the 82, the only difference being the ECM but they're interchangeable.. If you remove the ECU from the 84 the TCC won't work eoither since it's ECU controlled.

·
Registered
0 Posts
TwinTurbo said:
oh no? why is it not necessary on an 84?
Because unlike 85 & newer computers the computer will not make it so the engine cant go over 3000 rpm's. I have my computer running my guages & for the lock up on my tranny!:)

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
engine won''t make it over 3000rpm? Confused here, what do you mean? Do you have the injectors off but the TPS mounted to the carb, the other sensors in place and the ignition is still controlled by the ECM?

·
Registered
0 Posts
TwinTurbo said:
engine won''t make it over 3000rpm? Confused here, what do you mean? Do you have the injectors off but the TPS mounted to the carb, the other sensors in place and the ignition is still controlled by the ECM?
I believe that the computer controlls the rpm's on 85 & later computers via transmission? The article I have on converting a crossfire to carb states this?:huh:

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
no such thing, that article must be wrong. The 85 and later systems are multiport but they all work similar to the CFI, with the exception that the early ones are mass airflow instead of speed density. the TPI system is batch fire si instead of the CFI firing one injector for the whole bank the TPI fires all 4 in one bank simultaneously. The transmission is controlled in the same way, only a TCC solenoid. The later models have a $L60E tranny, that one DOES have computer controlled shiftpoints. The 4L60E is also a 700R4 (the 700R4 is also known as 4L60) only the E states the electronically controlled shift points.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Direct quote from article " The computer on a 84 controls the ignition & fuel injection systems, but is differant from the later computer that monitors & controls the engines systems and which if modified will prevent the engine from accelerating. The 84 computer will continue to run the dashboard & cooling system as well as the ac & will not slow the car down so you cant go over 3000rpm as in the case in 85 & later cars." :lookinup: :lookinup: :lookinup:

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Hi GRANDSPORT, I just joined DC and would love to see this article. Can you let me know if you still have it? Thanks.

His account is disabled. He won't see your post and when an account is disabled there is no way to message or email him. I'm sorry, but unless someone else knows what article he referenced, you may be out of luck.

BTW, this thread is 11 years old.

Maybe start a new thread with any specific questions you have about a project you're working on.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts