Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched here and google a million times but can't find the info I need. First off I own a 1982 C3 and before anyone says I am tearing the car up by taking it off I am not removing the ECM or cutting the harness I would just like a carb setup. Anyways I can't find out what parts I need...I just want to make sure I get the right parts with the right clearance thats all...If anyone can please help me out that'd be great...I know I need these parts..Intake,carb,fuel pressure regulator,Distributor,700R4 Torque Converter Lock-up kick if theres anything else please feel free to tell me.

Thanks,

Brandon

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Morning; I know someone that wants to do the same thing to an old C-4. As far as I can tell he is even asking the same questions. I will be watching this thread and will advise him to pay attention to it as well. Good Luck :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
No problem, every now and then we will come in here and bump it, :thumbsup:

Here is the first "bump"

·
Registered
171 Posts
I searched here and google a million times but can't find the info I need. First off I own a 1982 C3 and before anyone says I am tearing the car up by taking it off I am not removing the ECM or cutting the harness I would just like a carb setup. Anyways I can't find out what parts I need...I just want to make sure I get the right parts with the right clearance thats all...If anyone can please help me out that'd be great...I know I need these parts..Intake,carb,fuel pressure regulator,Distributor,700R4 Torque Converter Lock-up kick if theres anything else please feel free to tell me.

Thanks,

Brandon
i dont know if u have tried searching in the C4 section or not but there is a lot of good info there.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
...I know I need these parts..Intake...
Anything 81 and earler

...carb...
Stock QuadraJet 80 and earlier.

...fuel pressure regulator...
Needed for the Crossfire, but not for carburetors

...Distributor...
Any non-computer HEI 80 and earlier

...700R4 Torque Converter Lock-up...
Yours might work.

All of the above is stock Corvette. You could go aftermarket for all of it, but aftermarket goodies will cost you more.

FWIW: You will want to hang on to everything you remove.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
339 Posts
Heres what you need

please note the carb and intake is merely a suggestion and not the only one that will work

Edelbrock Performer intake
Edelbrock 1406 Performer carb
Mallorey 4309 Fuel pressure regulator with return
Spectre Fuel pressure guage ($15 most autozones screws into regulator)
return spring
return spring bracket
a drop base air cleaner

some hose for vacuum lines and fuel line adapters so that you can run the stock lines into the mallory regulator

Any Hei vacuum advance distributer
(autozone stocks an Accell unit that is billit aluminum for $119)

And thats pretty much it minus a few hose clamps

with the above carb 5.5 psi or slightly below is the ticket

let me know if you have any questions about install

·
DC Crew
32,976 Posts
Thanks but looks like my thread hasn't gotten too much attention yet :(
Sometimes you have to hang out and wait for the guys that have knowledge in the area you are asking questions. Seems like you have some good info now. Good luck with the swap.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
339 Posts
One last thing, the reason I said the Mallory 4309 regulator is that it has a return and will send gas back to the tank, if you use a regulator without a return it will burn up your electric pump:cheers:

·
Registered
339 Posts
cant say for sure, in my 82 I am running a built th350 but as far as the hooking up the carbed intake my list should be pretty complete,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh alright...I would like to keep the 7400R if I can...Oh and I plan to keep all the cross fire gear I take off and box it up incase I ever sell the vet which will probably never happen..;)

·
DC Crew
32,976 Posts
No you won't need a converter at the most you will need a painless wiring lock up kit if you remove your computer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No you won't need a converter at the most you will need a painless wiring lock up kit if you remove your computer.
When you say remove you mean just unplugging? right? I don't want to cut the harness or rip out the ECM.. and which kit should I get because there are a million of them now sure which would suit my needs.. Thanks again all this info is giving me alot less of a head ache lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Could I use the summit carb and intake combo? Are these any good? the combo runs around 400 bucks so price wise it's perfect for right now

·
Registered
339 Posts
For the best bang for your buck I would say shop Craigslist, you can usually find a decent aluminum intake like a performer or rpm for $50 to $60, and a edelbrock 1406 usually for less then $100 rebuild kits for this carb run between $35 and $45 depending on where you buy them, the Edelbrock performer carb series is on of the most simpliest carbs to rebuild and easy to tune as well and the kit comes with full instructions on how to do the rebuild.

In the end its up to you and your skill level and what you want to do, but if your on a budget Craigslist is the way to go, only thing you really need to worry about on the intake is the condition of the threads and mating surfaces if the are good even a dirty intake can be made look like new again.

Your main problem on intakes will be hood clearance for your air cleaner, the performer, and the rpm are both known intakes that will fit with a drop base air cleaner, the weind stealth is another but I would recommend researching any other intakes as it would be terrible to do all the work to convert the car to carb only to find out you cant close your hood, and this is a issue that I have personally dealt with as I had to trim the lip that mates the air cleaner to the carb on my car by 1/4 inch so that I would clear the hood I now have 3/16ths hood clearance measured by putting clay on top of my air cleaner.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks sooo much man for the info...But can anyone please please tell me if I need the Torque converter lock up switch...If I don't yeah! cause that another 70 bucks for other stuff but if I do I need to order it with everything at once.. Thanks! :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts