Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an 84' vette recently with flowmasters. If I have to keep the Crossfire injection, where can I start for performance parts, where can I find these parts, and what can I expect for an increase in performance? Lets say I have about 2-3 grand to fool around with, what are your feelings on headers, manifold, cams, nos, turbos, or some other parts that you have had success with?

·
Registered
111 Posts
To start change the manifold or get yours ported, after that you can add R/R, Cam, Heads and so on. Thats what I'm planning on doing, I already have all the parts I need (Cam, R/R 1.6, Double roller Timing Chain, X-Ram on order, heads coming soon, and a custom burned chip) should work just fine. Research a little bit and good luck......

·
Registered
0 Posts
I guess if you have to keep the crossfire you should start with stuff that will benifit the car in the future once you realize no matter what you do to the crossfire its not ever gonna really be fast! I found out the hard way...I had an x-ram,injectors,chip,pullys......bla bla bla & the car was still getting beat by newer ta's. You should start with a set of headers & free flowing cats, a high stall convertor & shift kit, taller gears just to name a few!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
111 Posts
I guess it all depends on how fast your trying to go. There is a big difference between 300HP and 650 HP, not to mention money. I thought your question was what can you do to a crossfire to make it faster, maybe you ment how can I make my car go faster. If you just want to make the crossfire go faster then what GRANDSPORT and myself said earlier would help. Good luck.....

·
Registered
0 Posts
Alcee1 I just noticed you are getting an x-ram....I just want to warn you that I had problems with mine...I would hit a rev limiter type effect at 4000 rpm's (valve floatish)with it....even after upgrading to 85 fuel pump & buying a new distributer (even though I supposidly coulda shimmed it)...I never had issues before it was installed?:nuts: I hope you have better luck!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
34 Posts
When attempting to answer this type of question, first thing that is needed is a reality check. Always refer to the old quote:

"Speed costs, how fast can you afford to go?"

I don't think you're going to get 600hp for 2-3 grand. A lot of the hp numbers people quote are estimated and for the most part, wishful thinking. Many people are sadly disappointed when they are given an actual rating by a dyno. Instead of setting yourself a number, just go for the maximum you can afford and whatever you end up with will have to do.

Remember that gaining HP has what's known as the "multiplier effect". You spent big dollars on the engine, so now you have to spend big on the trans, then the rear, then the brakes etc etc. The dollars keep multilying.

You will NOT get any realistic and worthwhile hp gains from bolt-on components, like air-cleaners. You WILL get realistic hp gains from a carefully thought out package that works well together. The single most important thing in creating hp is breathing. Start with the exhaust, then look at things like the manifold, heads, cam, etc. I'm not a big fan of the Xram set-up but more than a few people have said they are happy with it. I prefer the SY1 scenario, although they are harder to come by and not a simple bolt-up. Like I said, it's all really a complete package. Fresh new heads and big cam will destroy a tired old bottom-end. There are volumes written on this topic, so a couple of paragraphs cannot possibly do the subject justice.

Remember that it's okay to spend tens of thousands of dollars to get 1000hp but not if you have to drive the thing to work everyday in peak-hour traffic, reliably.

Also, no matter how much you spend and how fast you can go, someone will have spent more and be able to go faster. So be happy driving what you've got and enjoy it. Setting your sights too high can only lead to disappointment if you haven't, like most of us, got the budget to back it up.

·
DC Crew
1,470 Posts
OzC4 said:
When attempting to answer this type of question, first thing that is needed is a reality check. Always refer to the old quote:

I don't think you're going to get 600hp for 2-3 grand. A lot of the hp numbers people quote are estimated and for the most part, wishful thinking. Many people are sadly disappointed when they are given an actual rating by a dyno. Instead of setting yourself a number, just go for the maximum you can afford and whatever you end up with will have to do.

Remember that gaining HP has what's known as the "multiplier effect". You spent big dollars on the engine, so now you have to spend big on the trans, then the rear, then the brakes etc etc. The dollars keep multilying.

You will NOT get any realistic and worthwhile hp gains from bolt-on components, like air-cleaners. You WILL get realistic hp gains from a carefully thought out package that works well together. The single most important thing in creating hp is breathing. Start with the exhaust, then look at things like the manifold, heads, cam, etc. I'm not a big fan of the Xram set-up but more than a few people have said they are happy with it. I prefer the SY1 scenario, although they are harder to come by and not a simple bolt-up. Like I said, it's all really a complete package. Fresh new heads and big cam will destroy a tired old bottom-end. There are volumes written on this topic, so a couple of paragraphs cannot possibly do the subject justice.

Remember that it's okay to spend tens of thousands of dollars to get 1000hp but not if you have to drive the thing to work everyday in peak-hour traffic, reliably.

Also, no matter how much you spend and how fast you can go, someone will have spent more and be able to go faster. So be happy driving what you've got and enjoy it. Setting your sights too high can only lead to disappointment if you haven't, like most of us, got the budget to back it up.

Dude. This post. Rocks.

Oz64.. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
111 Posts
OzC4, I Agree totally. Grandsport, I hear what your saying, but like OzC4 said, the X-Ram is just the choice I went with, plus right now I don't hit 4000 RPM's anyway, I'm putting together a daily drive hopefully with some punch, That's all I'm trying to do. Thanks for the comments....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
0 Posts
OzC4 said:

So well put!:thumbsup: I 100% agree! :cheers:

·
Registered
0 Posts
Alcee1 said:
OzC4, I Agree totally. Grandsport, I hear what your saying, but like OzC4 said, the X-Ram is just the choice I went with, plus right now I don't hit 4000 RPM's anyway, I'm putting together a daily drive hopefully with some punch, That's all I'm trying to do. Thanks for the comments....:thumbsup:
If you dont hit 4000 now you will be very happy with the x-ram. I did notice a differance out of the whole......Good luck!:cheers: OzC4....your reply was perfect!:thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts