Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How is the CTS-V going to have the LS7 if the LS7 is a handbuilt engine. Are they really going to be able to do that? I don't know how many CTS-V's they're going to make but i'm sure it's around the number of Z06's so that's double the output.

·
Registered
546 Posts
doubt it very much...i think it will have the LS3 if anything

·
Banned
76 Posts
:agree: good point.i dont think thats likely. i dont think it will turn out like the SSR and the GTO having the same engine as the vette, but being advertised as different horsepower output just to keep the vette up on top:down:

anyway anybody plan on getting a cts v , check this out:

Click here to see Video

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77127

From Leftlane News today:

A new round of spy photos show the 2009 Cadillac CTS-V with less disguise than ever before. The car is expected to use the new "LSA" Corvette motor, delivering at least 500 horsepower.

The CTS-V will feature a supercharger integrated into the intake manifold. This is the same setup the upcoming Corvette SS / Blue Devil will have with its LS9 motor. However, while the Corvette SS motor will be hand built at the Performance Build Center in Wixom, MI, the Cadillac's LSA motor will be built in a conventional motor plant.

Automatic and manual transmissions will be available, and an optional paddle shift feature is also anticipated.

Production on the new CTS V-Series will start in September of 2008, and will be limited to about 7000 units annually. Internally, GM is referring to the car as "GMX322 V S/C."

GM's Bob Lutz was recently quoted saying the 2009 CTS-V "will be at a power level only described as unexpectedly high." Then referencing the current BMW M5, Lutz said the CTS-V “will suck the doors off” the competition if the new M5 isn't significantly better.

After driving a prototype, Lutz said "flat-out incredible. I’ve never driven anything like that.”

May 30, 2007

·
DC crew
4,102 Posts
I miss my V alot, I drove that car like a champ. I love that picture I use for my avator. I took the fuel rail covers off my 02 Z and put them on my V. People don't really know what that car is about, until I popped the hood and then they see the red Corvette engine covers. Then they put together that it has a 6 speed and Brembos, then they know that this is a bad ass Caddy. They love the car until.........yes, you guessed it. WHEEL HOP. I'm not going to dwell on that. I will meet John Heinricy one day, and I'm going to ask why the wheel hop and why did they use the same rearend that's in the base CTS with the V6? I blew out my rearend more than once. The car is a Monster and a complete sleeper unless you know what it is. The Girls loved that car! I had this little hottie at the light say "your car's sexy" and I said "your sexy, want a ride"? Never in the Z has that ever happened.

All right Gm listen up! Use the Ls7, don't delete the dry sump. Please don't detune the motor, bring it up to 525 to 550 horsepower. That will make it have a strong horespower to weight ratio. Two piece slotted roters, with a left side rotor and a right side rotor. Keep the same Brembo calipers. I would pay more and I know it would be a lot more, for ceramic rotors with eight piston Brembos.
The excuse for wheel hop was to maintain ride quality, well throw that concern out the window. We want to be able to launch hard and having the car hook up vs hopping up. Do what has been done with the Z06. Make it as close to the race car as possible. Cadillac has been strong on the racetrack with Papis, Pilgim, and Ron Fellows. There will be no excuse for weak rearends
and wheel hop. We want an American car that will scare the hell out of an E 63 or a M5/M6.

I won't go into where they went wrong on the XLR-V. Let me design that car, people would line up to pay the hundred thousnd their asking for the current XLR-V. What a joke of a car and it's built in Bowling Green. They could have done better.

Jr.

·
Registered
883 Posts
A 09 CTS-V will either be joining my C5 or replacing it, if rumors are correct it should be an absolute beast and well over 500 hp. I hope it comes with the 6.2 S/C because then it will be a pulley change away from 550-600 to the wheels!:partyon: :partyon: :buhbye:

·
Registered
883 Posts
I came very close to buying a V series in 04, but alas my wife would not even consider a stick and it was her car. Of all the cars we have owned including numerous BMW's the 04 CTS 3.6 we had we still remember how much we liked the car and the attention we got in it!

·
Registered
40 Posts
How is the CTS-V going to have the LS7 if the LS7 is a handbuilt engine. Are they really going to be able to do that? I don't know how many CTS-V's they're going to make but i'm sure it's around the number of Z06's so that's double the output.
I purchased a CTS V in the first production year. Each subsequent year, the CTS V has been limited to around 4000-5000 units. I believe the Z06 numbers are much higher. The 2009 CTS V information is printed in the current Car Magazine issues. LS-7 starting at $55,000.00. My V with all the available options was about $54,000.00. Very approachable; driving is like sitting on a living room chair that goes almost 170 mph.

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
Between the CTS-V and the new Pontiac G8, the General will have a formidable lineup of sedans. I know one of the two will eventually be my wifes daily driver.

·
Super Moderator
10,114 Posts
http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77127

From Leftlane News today:

A new round of spy photos show the 2009 Cadillac CTS-V with less disguise than ever before. The car is expected to use the new "LSA" Corvette motor, delivering at least 500 horsepower.

The CTS-V will feature a supercharger integrated into the intake manifold. This is the same setup the upcoming Corvette SS / Blue Devil will have with its LS9 motor. However, while the Corvette SS motor will be hand built at the Performance Build Center in Wixom, MI, the Cadillac's LSA motor will be built in a conventional motor plant.

Automatic and manual transmissions will be available, and an optional paddle shift feature is also anticipated.

Production on the new CTS V-Series will start in September of 2008, and will be limited to about 7000 units annually. Internally, GM is referring to the car as "GMX322 V S/C."

GM's Bob Lutz was recently quoted saying the 2009 CTS-V "will be at a power level only described as unexpectedly high." Then referencing the current BMW M5, Lutz said the CTS-V “will suck the doors off” the competition if the new M5 isn't significantly better.

After driving a prototype, Lutz said "flat-out incredible. I’ve never driven anything like that.”

May 30, 2007
Look at the podcast on C&D's site. Look closely at the hood. There's a supercharged something in there. Sounds like Left lane got at least part of it right to me. The High Performance Build Center does has a limited amount of production capacity, but what are they filling it with? I expected to see some limited production extra high output Cobalt engines from there, but I guess the allocated overhead is too high. So far they're producing less than 10k LS7s (Z06s and crate), 2,000? SC Northstars for STS-vs and XLR-vs. Add in 1500 LS9s and if memory serves me right, tha leaves about 3,000 unit capacity unused. Too little for CTS-V engines. Maybe the CTS-V and the Escalade will share a 500 HP SC LSA as suggested?

·
Super Moderator
10,114 Posts
All right Gm listen up! Use the Ls7, don't delete the dry sump. Please don't detune the motor, bring it up to 525 to 550 horsepower.
I don't think the Dry sump will be dropped, but it will likely stay exclusive to Z06 - eventually maybe shared with a limited production Camaro. At one time they were looking at a limited edition CTS-VR with an LS7, but I suspect they quickly experienced the differential and rear suspension weaknesses to which you refer, and dropped that idea.

They could revive that idea sometime after the next gen dry sump debuts for the C7 Z06, but I doubt that will happen. Marketing wouldn't like the idea of selling a higher HP non-SC engine for more money than the regular SC CTS-V. Marketing would say the public would be confused - some would.

·
Registered
883 Posts
What I read stated that GM nixed the LS7 because of it not having the instant torque neccesary to move the heavier CTS-V off the line as quickly as they wanted.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I miss my V alot, I drove that car like a champ. I love that picture I use for my avator. I took the fuel rail covers off my 02 Z and put them on my V. People don't really know what that car is about, until I popped the hood and then they see the red Corvette engine covers. Then they put together that it has a 6 speed and Brembos, then they know that this is a bad ass Caddy. They love the car until.........yes, you guessed it. WHEEL HOP. I'm not going to dwell on that. I will meet John Heinricy one day, and I'm going to ask why the wheel hop and why did they use the same rearend that's in the base CTS with the V6? I blew out my rearend more than once. The car is a Monster and a complete sleeper unless you know what it is. The Girls loved that car! I had this little hottie at the light say "your car's sexy" and I said "your sexy, want a ride"? Never in the Z has that ever happened.

All right Gm listen up! Use the Ls7, don't delete the dry sump. Please don't detune the motor, bring it up to 525 to 550 horsepower. That will make it have a strong horespower to weight ratio. Two piece slotted roters, with a left side rotor and a right side rotor. Keep the same Brembo calipers. I would pay more and I know it would be a lot more, for ceramic rotors with eight piston Brembos.
The excuse for wheel hop was to maintain ride quality, well throw that concern out the window. We want to be able to launch hard and having the car hook up vs hopping up. Do what has been done with the Z06. Make it as close to the race car as possible. Cadillac has been strong on the racetrack with Papis, Pilgim, and Ron Fellows. There will be no excuse for weak rearends
and wheel hop. We want an American car that will scare the hell out of an E 63 or a M5/M6.

I won't go into where they went wrong on the XLR-V. Let me design that car, people would line up to pay the hundred thousnd their asking for the current XLR-V. What a joke of a car and it's built in Bowling Green. They could have done better.

Jr.
:agree:

Traded my V on the C6. I experienced all the good and bad that you did, minus the blown rearends. Mine did howl like a banshee, though. When I first decided to move on from the V, I looked at XLRs first, but just couldn't get past the price tag($80,000). Just as well, not once since I bought my C6have I wished for a power hard top! When the local dealer got their first XLR-V they called me and invited me to take it for a drive(my wife and I have bought 5 or 6 cars there). My reaction was "meh." As a matter of fact I felt sort of good because I wasn't about to spend $100K no matter how nice the car, and this car evoked no want or "gotta have" in me.
After some of the things I went through with the V, I get a kick out of the complaints I see here on this forum.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Look at the podcast on C&D's site. Look closely at the hood. There's a supercharged something in there. Sounds like Left lane got at least part of it right to me. The High Performance Build Center does has a limited amount of production capacity, but what are they filling it with? I expected to see some limited production extra high output Cobalt engines from there, but I guess the allocated overhead is too high. So far they're producing less than 10k LS7s (Z06s and crate), 2,000? SC Northstars for STS-vs and XLR-vs. Add in 1500 LS9s and if memory serves me right, tha leaves about 3,000 unit capacity unused. Too little for CTS-V engines. Maybe the CTS-V and the Escalade will share a 500 HP SC LSA as suggested?
Please re-read my post, the article says that Cadillac's LSA engine will be built in a convential motor plant, not at Wixom.

·
Super Moderator
10,114 Posts
Please re-read my post, the article says that Cadillac's LSA engine will be built in a convential motor plant, not at Wixom.
Got that, and my entire post attempts to demonstrate why that is a requirement. That's why I said:

Maybe the CTS-V and the Escalade will share a 500 HP SC LSA as suggested?
Clearly the total volume that would be needed to supply both would mandate a Wixom type assembly. Maybe this engine will also find its way into some special edition GTOs, G8s, and Camaros .... unless gas settles in around $5 / gal or the y mandate a 20% improvement in CAFE.

·
Registered
30 Posts
For what it's worth,I spoke with some Cadillac engine guys at the Detroit show. They couldn't say much, but they did say that cadillac did NOT want to buy any more engines from Chevy. I know the replacement for the Northstar is coming out soon; I wonder if the new CTS-V won't get a blown version of this power plant.

·
Registered
883 Posts
With rumors of displacement between 5.0 and 5.5 liters it should be not that difficult for the new Northstar to put out 500 plus hp. The old chassis could not accomodate a DOHC V-8 but the new one is wider to accomodate AWD.

·
DC crew
4,102 Posts
The old chassis could not accomodate a DOHC V-8 but the new one is wider to accomodate AWD.
Your right, They tried the Northstar and it wouldn't fit. That's why they used the Ls6 and then the Ls2. It was almost by accident that they put the Corvette powerplant in.

Jr.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts