Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I go down the "white man history only" road or the maybe this is the problem "we don't know enough about the enemy" road??

http://www.kens5.com/news/local/Tex...t-textbook-references-to-Islam-103725769.html

by Associated Press

kens5.com

Posted on September 24, 2010 at 12:29 PM

Updated today at 1:32 PM

Related:
Texas Education Agency - Live Hearings

AUSTIN -- The State Board of Education has adopted a resolution that seeks to curtail references to Islam in Texas textbooks.

Social conservatives on the board, which approved the resolution by a 7-6 vote Friday, warned of what they describe as a creeping Middle Eastern influence in the nation's publishing industry.

The one-page resolution calls on textbook publishers to limit what they print about Islam in world history books.

Critics say it's another example of the ideological board trying to politicize public education in the Lone Star State.

Future boards that will choose the state's next generation of social studies texts would not be bound by the resolution.

The resolution cites world history books no longer used in Texas schools that it says devoted more lines of text to Islamic beliefs and practices than Christian beliefs and practices.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
There is a lot of pissing and moaning about Texas textbooks by people outside the state. If they don't like them, go print your own damn textbooks. Why do we have to fight everyones battle for them?

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
There is a lot of pissing and moaning about Texas textbooks by people outside the state. If they don't like them, go print your own damn textbooks. Why do we have to fight everyones battle for them?
Speaking of Pissing and Moaning, I just called the Local Police … you better hide the Vette. :laughing:

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wonder what would happen in TX if you couldn't reference Mayan or mexican cultures...

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
wonder what would happen in TX if you couldn't reference Mayan or mexican cultures...
That's like wondering what would happen if the moon fell onto Japan.. totally irrelevant, and kind of a corny post.

I don't think anyone is asking for muslim references to be removed, they just don't want 191 topics on it, with only 50 on Christianity and the slander against Buddhism and Hinduism..

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
That's like wondering what would happen if the moon fell onto Japan.. totally irrelevant, and kind of a corny post.

I don't think anyone is asking for muslim references to be removed, they just don't want 191 topics on it, with only 50 on Christianity and the slander against Buddhism and Hinduism..
Damn your common sense!!! :laughing:

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

nope not corny at all.. let's see that every culture gets equitable treatment. They don't condemn chrisitanity bias in the letter..

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
nope not corny at all.. let's see that every culture gets equitable treatment. They don't condemn chrisitanity bias in the letter..
So what, in your view is equitable about the heavy reference to muslims, the slander against hindi/Buddhism, and the minimal reference to what is by far the largest religion ever in Texas?

As for your lame mexican remark.. mexicans are overwhelmingly.. Christian..

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
I don't believe I've ever met a Muslim Mexican???? :huh:

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So what, in your view is equitable about the heavy reference to muslims, the slander against hindi/Buddhism, and the minimal reference to what is by far the largest religion ever in Texas?

true but many precolumbian and many very early Mexican culture where violent and even practiced human sacrifices.

and again a very texan view as if you are the only history in the world.. We aren't talking about texas history books because most of that should be about mexican culture prior to Spanish influences..

It's world history we are talking about

·
Registered
726 Posts

I agree with just about everything you post :D
But most mexicans are mexican catholic. Which is neither Christian or catholic. Ill never forget my bro inlaws fam going nuts rubbing eggs on my sisters head to get rid of the "flagelo ojo"

·
Registered
59 Posts
Everyone in US has a dog in this Hunt

The reason the rest of the country should pay attention to what they put in Texas textbooks is because the size of school population in Texas is so large that many publishers only make the Texas versions of their textbooks available for sell to other states.

Think about. Publishers don't print a World History or US History book based upon each state's board of educations.

That's why what goes into Texas textbooks get national attention. I'm not say it's right or wrong, just the economics of textbook publishing. At least that what I read in newspapers here in Dallas area.

·
Banned
12,109 Posts

and Taoism....

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
true but many precolumbian and many very early Mexican culture where violent and even practiced human sacrifices.

and again a very texan view as if you are the only history in the world.. We aren't talking about texas history books because most of that should be about mexican culture prior to Spanish influences..

It's world history we are talking about

:agree:

"Critics say it's another example of the ideological board trying to politicize public education in the Lone Star State."

:agree:

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
China and Iran do the same thing with their world history books.....:thumbsup:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts