Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, I was just curious to see what others have done for speaker, subwoofer, & amp combos. I just installed a new pioneer CD/MP3 player in my 75 coupe and am trying to figure out what can and can't fit...and what the end results were. Pics would be great! Thanks.

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
You know, it's funny that I don't see a lot of C3 guys into car stereo stuff. I've seen hundreds and hundreds of C3's... but few custom stereo set ups.

Anyone else notice this too?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't really seen any really good systems on c3's either, but I want something that really kicks. :partyon: So, I guess I'm the weird one... :laughing: because honestly, I really don't care if I lose what little space I have in the back for subs, amps, or whatever.... For me it'll never be a grocery getter! :laughing:

·
Registered
10 Posts
i have an incredible sound system but i will have to go take pics a little later
what i have:
fully moterized clarion touchscreen indash dvd player
6 disc minidisc changer
two 900w rockford fosgate amps recesed behind each seat
3 infinity kappa perfect 12" subs (in my own plexyglass incloser
infinity kappa 4x6's in the dash
clarion 5.25 in the kickpanals

i still have room for my removable back glass and t-tops
the intire interior is covered with dynomat and superinsulator
so with the doors closed and windows up you can just barely hear the stereo but open a door and it can literaly be heard 2 miles away

let me take some pics and i will put them on my cardomain site
http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=405121

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow! Thats the kind of insipration I was looking for! Your car looks great. :) What sort of dimension is the rear enclosure? Can you still open the doors to the battery & cargo spaces fully? And, where did you get the isulation material? BTW I love the rims! Thanks for the pics. :partyon:

·
Registered
10 Posts
i built this over a year ago and don't remember the deminsions
but yes i can still open the capartment doors
i think i ordered the sound deadner from jc whitney

·
Registered
34 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the link.:D Thats a great Idea for the kickpanel speakers! I was trying to figure out what to do down there...but that is great! I was also curious on how to get the intrument panel off. But now I know.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Phantom
One thing I should tell you about the 4 x 6 speakers. They don't handle much bass and they won't handle much power at all. Since I wrote that article I've made a few changes. I now run the top dash 4 x 6 speakers using a 4 khzcrossover that limits the bass and allows the top speakers to act mostly as tweeters. This allows much better power handling capability on the top speakers. I also changed the kickpanel speakers to 5 1/4 inch pioneers. They handle more power than the 4 x 6s and also have better mid bass. To mount the 5 1/4 I drilled mounting holes on the side of the birdcage nearest the door for two of the mounting screws. This gives just enough room on the other side of the speaker to drill a single hole through the speaker mounting edge giving the speaker a 3 point mounting system. If you put a 5 1/4 in the space you'll see what I mean. I run the 5 1/4 through the crossover at about 1 khz which allows some of the midbass through but not the heavy bass. I run my rear speakers full range. I've found this setup to be the most satisfying for now. I'm going to be making some custom boxes for the rear to mount my 8 inch Boston subs which should give me the deep bass that I like.

·
Registered
29 Posts
For my 81 I have built a custom speaker box that had to be put together inside the Vette it is held in place wedging into the rear wheel housing, has two 10" subs and a 300 watt amp, hooked to a standard knob radio/cassette deck with rc outs. :thumbsup: sounds pretty good....

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I just installed a Pioneer 8400 HU that plays mp3,wma and cds of just about any variety. 4x6 dash speakers. This is just for the meantime. My car will go for paint sometime soon so I didn't want to put it all in the car right now. But I don't have a whole lot more planned for it. Certainly nothing like some of the above. Those are awesome setups. I just want to listen to the radio every now and again.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have an Excelon hu with Polk Momo 6.5 components in the rear, Alpine in the dash with an Alpine amp hidden in the passenger side rear compartment. Will be installing a 10" sub in the centre compartment with the amp bolted onto the rear of the compartment. Having a vert there is less room to work with. Made corner boxes for the Momo's. Since I rarely drive with the top up I may have to rethink the whole setup to get the best sq.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My system is only on paper until this spring, but here's what we got so far:

Eclipse head unit (not sure which model yet).
CDT Audio HD62-ef components for the doors
Two 8" subs (Either the e8a, Eclipse, or the quare type) where factory 6x9 were
Eclipse amp to run the show.
Eclipse computer (for MP3's. etc)

The idea is to mount the amp on the rear wall, the subs where the 6x9's used to be, and the computer hidden away in one of the rear compartments. I want to get satellite radio as well, but not sure what to do there yet. The front speakers will be enclosed in custom door panels. The 4x6's will be left in the dash, but for show only. I won't pound as hard as some of the systems illustrated here, but is will take up virtually no room not already occupied and it will sound pretty good! As for the head unit, it will be mounted on a custom panel (with Cobalt Autometer guages). In spring, I will try to take some pics to show you how it all came together.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Perhaps this is overkill but im just finnishing up my X-Box mp3 player. Wont go in the vette until i finnish it but one day, id like to have it sitting right behind the storage compartments.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you are looking for an MP3 jukebox and want to go all Kenwood, take a look at the Music Keg. Some models are $400-$500, but last year's model is on clearance at Best Buy. I picked one up for my daily driver for $240 just this past Saturday. It includes a 10-gig harddrive, but you can order 20, 40, or even 60-gig harddrives from www.phatnoise.com It works just like a CD Changer, only instead of CDs, you get the hardrive cartridge. It's easily removable to update songs. I suppose you could even use it to transfer large files. Well, I have rambled long enough. Good luck with the system.

Bryan

·
DC Crew
4,751 Posts
Wow,...that system is awesome!

Mine is nothing like that, but it packs plenty of punch and is almost invisible to the total operation of the car.

I installed a sony Xpod head unit (it is rather dated now, but works fine so it stays put). I have infinity speakers in the lower kick panels, and installed in the rear custom deck box.

I have a RF 500 amp under the passenger seat.

We built a custom box that just slides in the rear deck and allows the convertible top to clear by a whisker. It houses two 10" subs with isolated mids to each corner.

The infinity speakers run off the head unit power, while the twin subs run off the amp alone.

It will never win a competition, but it does get your attention, and you can actually hear the stereo and feel the base when cruising down the highway with the top down and big block roaring through the spiral baffles in the sidepipes.

Oh, the box is made of MDO (?) wood, glued and screwed together with biscuit joints. I then ground it down and wrapped it in two layers of fiberglass (medium mat). I ground that down smooth and then sprayed a full layer of epoxy truck bed liner on the fiberglass shell. This allows it to blend into my black interior, resist moisture (a real issue with a convertible car that actually gets used rain or shine), and trap the sound waves in a bit longer before allowing the boom boom to happen.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts