Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright, so I decided to tear my interior out... again! I took it all out the winter of 2009-2010 when I did my engine, but I ended up basically just putting everything back. So, now its time to bring the interior up to the looks of the rest of the car.

I had a few ideas, but finally settled on a mildly custom look. I'm in the process of doing it now, and it shouldn't take too long. Ill have plenty of pics when I finish, but here's a little teaser for now:

On anoter note, I'm also in the midst of some serious exterior detailing. I bought a pricey kit from autogeek.net that includes polish enhancer, sealant, and a high end wax. Its a whole process that's new to me, but so far id highly recommend it. Basically you was the car, and clay bar as needed. Then you polish the carh to get the paint truly clean. Then you aply the sealant which provides a deep wet look but also a hard protective layer. The sealant has to cure for 12 hrs:surprised, and after that you can apply a few layers of wax to deepen the shine. I'm only at the sealant curing point, but it already looks great! Id definitely recommend this stuff... best of all the sealant protects up to 6 months! Here are a couple of quick cell shots:

If you notice the sidepipes in the pictures, I got a new polish and sealant from a vendor at World of Wheels. The stuff is great, the pipes shine like they're chrome, and with some elbow grease it got the burns around the welds off that the XS power collectors are notorious for!

Stay tuned!

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you......like......"spray paint" the carpet inserts on the door panels, black?:huh:
Lol who do you think I am, Bubba?

Its interior dye... for vinyl, plastic, carpet...

I have 4 cans of the stock 1980 red... so stay tuned!

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hope you're keeping the red interior. The exterior looks great.
Absolutely! The car came from the factory with a black exterior and red interior, so with everything I do to he car I'm trying to keep the black/red theme going... there's a little hint.

It should look good when I'm done..... I hope!

Ill post some pics tomorrow of the interior currently. The car had been stolen before I bought it, and the theif smashed the dash... so since I've owned it a large section below the steering wheel has been gone. The stock seats are smoked, and the carpets are fairly new but faded in areas from me driving her so much!

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
So I finished the Paint Sealant the other day and it cured for about 24 hrs. I applied the first coat of was today and it already looks stunning! Im probably going to do one or two more coats. I definitely recommend this stuff

And a video.... because I have problems :lookinup: :smack

As for the interior heres some more pics.... this is how the interior currently looks:

The seats were decent when I first got the car 6yrs ago, but I drove it a LOT!

Big section of dash missing from when the car was stolen years ago:

Heres another teaser of whats to come, courtesy of a donor 1978 but its actually a dash from a 1981:

I can't wait to have a nice interior! Hopefully itll finally match the rest of the car.

Stay tuned for more pictures... I prepped most of the parts today and should be making a LOT of progress tomorrow :D

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Very Nice I want to keep up with this thread! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Progress:

I finished the black portion of the door panels. Hopefully, weather permitting, tomorrow Ill be doing the red portion. Although the red on the panels is in good shape, the top is fading, as is the red pouch on the panel, so Im just going to re-dye it all to brighten it up.

Here they are so far with just the black dyed:

I got the dash dyed, it came out really well I think:

And the glove box door and trim piece under the steering column:

More to come!

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Nice Job man! I am working on my interior this year as well. I am going from brown to black so I am very interested in the dye processes.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Lookin' good! :thumbsup:

I'd dye the door pockets black also to match the rest of the door carpet. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lookin' good! :thumbsup:

I'd dye the door pockets black also to match the rest of the door carpet. :thumbsup:

We'll see....I may in the future, but I wanted to leave it red as a nice accent first. If I dont like it Ill just go back and spray it later.

·
Banned
6,201 Posts
80vettel82, I must say... Your car has turned out so very beautifully !!

Wonderful, just wonderful. :cheers:

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
80vettel82, I must say... Your car has turned out so very beautifully !!

Wonderful, just wonderful. :cheers:
Thanks man! Its been a lot of work, as most of you fellow vette owners know, but its getting to the point where my dream of what I wanted to make it is becoming a reality and it feels great!

·
Premium Member
13,918 Posts
Wow, it's looking really great!:surprised:thumbsup:

I know (sort of) how you feel. My 69 is finally getting it's whole interior installed. When I got it, the thing was bare except for a few wires hanging out. I'll be happy just to get mine back and then finally make some interior mods to it.

Your paint is beautiful, I just love your car!:D

:cheers:

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Update:

I finished dying the panels today. Like I said above, the red portion of the panels wasn't too bad but this really brightened it up!

Preparing for dye:

All done:

Here are all the original interior components (other than the new dash that I sourced from a local 1978 parts car) all dyed and ready for reinstallation!

Im just waiting on my Corbeau seats and then everything will be going back together.

Also, Im getting Stainless Steel faceplates for the speedo/tach gauges AND for the center gauges as well getting 5 new gauges for the center cluster!! Im getting 5 Autometer UltraLite II's to match my speedo/tach setup. Im getting the regular Fuel, Voltmeter, Coolant temp, Oil Pressure, but the for the 5th (to replace where the stock clock was) Im getting a Trans. Temp gauge to monitor the temp on my 700r4 :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 63 Posts