Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
Since my accident (March 07) i have decided to have my C6 re-painted a different color (House of Kolor Racing Silver with Chrome Silver and Ice Pear micro fleck instead of Millenium Yellow).....PROBLEM: My old sealed beam headlights are yellow inside and neither a new set of silver or black headlights will match my custom color....SO,... does anyone know of anyone who has successfully pulled apart these sealed beam headlights OR does anyone have any suggestions on how else to deal with this problem?

aw.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I have taken apart the headlights on my 2000 Celica GT-S once before.

What i did was throw them in the oven (yes, baking oven), at around 300 degrees for 10-15 minutes. This loosens up the sealant on the housings so you can easily pry them apart with a flat head.

Take the insert out, or the bottom half (don't know how it is on a C6) sand down and paint.

Put it all back together again the next day after the paint comes to a finish and all that. If you want, you can stick the pieces with the sealant on them back in the oven for a couple minutes.

You can always apply silicone sealant to the housing pieces as well.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
not sure that would be too safe to put the C6 lights in the oven....there's cylinders of compressed gas in there that could be super dangerous if it were to explode......

there has to be a way, but I personally wouldn't suggest the oven....

·
Registered
347 Posts
not sure that would be too safe to put the C6 lights in the oven....there's cylinders of compressed gas in there that could be super dangerous if it were to explode......

there has to be a way, but I personally wouldn't suggest the oven....
That's why you take the lenses out, and the bulbs

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

What i did was throw them in the oven (yes, baking oven), at around 300 degrees for 10-15 minutes. This loosens up the sealant on the housings so you can easily pry them apart with a flat head.

Polykarb,
Thank you - that is exactly what i wanted to know... can you heat up the seal to loosen it up. Comments about removing lenses/bulbs is a given!

thanks again. will let u know how i make out...

aw

·
Registered
347 Posts

Polykarb,
Thank you - that is exactly what i wanted to know... can you heat up the seal to loosen it up. Comments about removing lenses/bulbs is a given!

thanks again. will let u know how i make out...

aw
Like i said in my above post, i'm not sure how this process would work for a Corvette. It has been proven for Celica's, so don't take it as a "would work for all" solution. I don't wanna get PM's and emails about how i screwed up Joe Blow's headlights and how he's gotta down 100's of dollars for replacements. It was just a suggestion, that is all.

Even better yet, a hair dryer or heatgun would do the same trick a lot safer.

Yet again, i'm glad i could give you some insight. Hell, even if you do tinker with the idea, post the results.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cost of a custom paint job (and new color for an '05 C6)

Do you realize how expensive that is going to be? :lookinup:
Yes, absolutely i do! As i just finnished having much the same thing done to my 512TR. What i failed to mention in my earlier post was that this insurance claim for repairs to my C6 exceeds 30K in damages - which are limited almost entirely to the external shell /body of the car (with virtually no damage to the cars frame or any of its mechanical/electrical/engine or suspension systems - which is truly a stroke of luck!) . As such, this claim covers the repair and or retro-fit of almost 75% of my cars external painted body panels..... which means that after spending less than 1K on a new shade of custom blended Hse of Kolor paint, I can get a custom paint job done for what it would normally cost to paint the remaining 25% of my car (that portion not covered by this claim) plus a little extra for doing the cut-ins around items such as the door trims, engine bay, inner hood and headlights etc... So for the 3-4K extra (in order to create something that will definitely stand apart from other C6's , I'm sure you might be very tempted to do the same!

cheers,

a

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Yes, absolutely i do! As i just finnished having much the same thing done to my 512TR.
Can you post pictures of that paint job? I'd like to see how it looks.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can you post pictures of that paint job? I'd like to see how it looks.
Sure, no problem. In my "CORVETTE PHOTOS" section, you’ll find 11 new images of this "512 Project". All the bodywork and paint are now complete but as u can see there’s still a tonne of work to be done (I’m guessing 6 more weeks) before I can start tearing up the roads. When the rubber finally does meet the road we hope to be generating somewhere around 700 crank HP and close to 600+ Ft/lbs Torque. We will know for sure once we get her ‘tuned up’ with the help of the old Dyno!.

Even if the 512’s Dyno readings turn out to be slightly less than those for my supercharged C6, the 512’s rear engine hook up and superb traction should still make for a very, very interesting (and close) race against my C6 – more so from a standing start (that is of course, until we install the LS7X Warhawk in the Vette!).

Rather than rambling on about all the various performance upgrades and unique custom mods that have gone into this Project, IF you would like further details about my 512 Project, just PM me and I’ll gladly respond back.

Cheers,

a.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
contact geraldo at down south coevrvettes. he has painted his lambo orange and took the lights apart. he is the only one i know of that has took the extra step to finish it. others are doing black but ......... well you wouldn't be asking if you didn't think the same way

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
damn the color on the 512 is fing sweet man!!!!:thumbsup:
thank you. Your car is looking same! Can't wait to get my C6 back on the road!

a

1 - 13 of 13 Posts