Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I purchased new seat covers for the stock seats but I think I'm going to need a little better seat to keep planted when I hammer on 700HP! :D Do you guys have any ideas or pictures of some seats to go in the Hotrod 66?
Thanks

·
Registered
71 Posts
Quite a few people have either installed or are considering using C5 seats in their mid-years. The Sport Seats works well and I'm using them in our 63 coupe.

There will be an article in next months issue of Corvette Fever on how to do it if you are interested.

Rich Lagasse

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Viper seats. Get them recovered. They are sweet.

:cheers:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry Midnite but anything with the word Viper on it in a Corvette looks out of place. 21 Century builds great cars though. They build my supercharged 03 Z.:cheers:

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Sorry Midnite but anything with the word Viper on it in a Corvette looks out of place. 21 Century builds great cars though. They build my supercharged 03 Z.:cheers:
I hope to get these seats for my car. They now have the C6 emblem where the Viper logo used to be.

:cheers:

·
Registered
264 Posts
My opinion: In a classic Corvette a classic Sport-Seat.

---> http://www.soloracer.com/raceseats.html
Please scroll down untill you find the two different "Corbeau classic" seats.
Are you familiar with the Corbeau Classic Bucket Seats? I agree, the classic look would go better, but how do they "feel"? (The price is a heck of a lot better too!)

Anyone going to be at the Carlise, PA Spring Show next week? I'll be hunting for seats there. Also looking for a steering wheel to fit a '64 column... but not a teak reproduction, rather a smaller sport steering wheel.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I had the chance to testdrive these seats in an old Camaro. Nothing for big butts. But if you fit in a 34'' (waist) Levi's it shouldn't be a problem. Snugg fit. :laughing:

Steering wheel: If you do not want to go too small in diametre think about an original wheel from a 69 model year and up. It fits in diametre, you can still read the gauges and up to 73 it looks quite like an original but is one inch smaller.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Well.... I can do a 34" waist in Levis, but that too is a bit "snug" these days. Something happend after I hit 40... all my clothes shrunk.

Hopefully I can see these seats live at a show or something like that soon.

Sorry to divert on the subject, but with the steering wheel... has anyone put a newer wheel on a '64 column? Is some modification needed? I understood that '63 through '66 Steering wheels are flat on the back of them for a flush fitting mount, but from '67 on, there is some kind of bump on the back of the steering wheel at the bottom spoke that is used to line up the wheel when installing it. Is this correct?

Thanks!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Those are some good looking seats, but I wonder how much they would stick out over the convertible lid. I wish they had a picture of them in a convertible C2. Thanks

·
Registered
74 Posts
I got Recaro's in my 63. They have speakers in the headrests. Don't know what they are out of but they fit perfect1:thumbsup:

·
Registered
264 Posts
Found anything yet?

Hey I purchased new seat covers for the stock seats but I think I'm going to need a little better seat to keep planted when I hammer on 700HP! :D Do you guys have any ideas or pictures of some seats to go in the Hotrod 66?
Thanks
Any luck yet finding seats?

I am struggling also to find high back bucket seats that will look good in my '64. Here's another website that has some decent looking seats. I just cannot find anyone that carries these locally (in the Baltimore area).
www.motorsportseats.com/procar/index.html

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Khorn,
I am going to call on the Rally seat and see if they have some mounts that will work. I saw those in a 67 mustang and they looked good.:cheers:

·
Registered
264 Posts
Post a reply and let us know what they say. I am leaning towards the Rally seat also... I'll have to take some measurements of my existing seats to be sure the fit will work. Let us know what they tell you.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I know a cheap way to keep you in your seat.
1 go to local hardware store
2 buy velcro
3 put on seat
4 and a couple of strips on your A-- You might ask a pretty lady to help with this part.
5 Have a seat and, your ready to go

PS I might Paten this Ideal:rolling:

·
Registered
264 Posts
Hey - I just spoke with Jim at Motorsport Seats. He laughed... Looks like a few of us have called him today. Anyway, he thinks the Pro 90's would fit. My '64 is in a shop and I'll be working on it this weekend. I'll measure it up and see of these would fit or not.

The Pro 90's don't have quite the extreme bolsters that the Rally seats have, but they do have a vintage look about them.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Seat Dimensions

It looks like the Pro 90's will work out. I measured my beat up original stock seats and the base measurments are pretty close...

Orignials are 19.5" wide by 19.5" deep.
Pro 90's are 20.5" wide by 18" deep.

Looks like I have enough space on each side to handle that extra inch of width overall without too much trouble.

My only concern is the thickness of the seat bottoms. The stock seats are about 5" thick or so and the Pro 90's are 7.5". Sitting on the stock seats I have about 3.5" to the headliner, so these Pro 90's should still be OK. I could always shave out some foam if necessary.

As far as installing them to the floor of the car - the Pro 90's come with sliding seat tracks that should mount pretty easily to the flat surface of the floor. I have to replace my worn out mounting plates anyway, so I can make them work with these tracks as needed. I have the good fortune of getting some help from Rod Saboury. He builds and races some killer custom Vette Street Rods - this should be a pretty easy install with his help.

I went ahead and ordered the seats today. I'll snap some photos and post them when they are installed.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts