Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i took my car(88) to work today everthing is fine...when i get out of work i start the car put it in drive and i go to the door to pick up my girl everything is fine at this point.so i back the car up to the door turn the car off i wait for her say not 30secs turn the car on and put in drive then all of a sudden the check eng light comes on for a split second and goes offso i pull away and start to go down this little hill it does it again(i want to apologize for this being so long) so i go to the stop sign which is about 30feet awy...nuthing... so anyway my house is about 15 to 20 miles away(nuthing happens until we get to gas station) and we pull n to a gas station to get something turn the car off wait turn it back on and it does it again but this time it does it 3 or four times before i get home when it does this it feels like the car cuts off but doesnt really cut off for a split sec then it comes back on. i mean its instantaneous but you can feel it ...plz need your help thanks ...Clint

·
Registered
724 Posts
Did you check for codes?

·
Only green will do...
18,388 Posts
I had that happen to my wifes ford windstar took it to the mechanic he said it could be a loose connection or faulty wire he checked the codes but could not find anything he reset the computer it went away then came back again a week later went back he told me to just disconnect the battery for a couple of seconds then reconnect i did that and the check engine light went away that almost 3 weeks ago hope that helps ps. has it been raining by you or did anything get wet?

·
Registered
607 Posts
hi Mate, sorry to hear your having problems, especially an intermitant one.....the hardest to find!

my first thought would have been a bad ignition wire to your coil, howevere if this was the culprit all dash lights would come on.
my second thought would then be a cracked intake hose between the air box and plenumn or an intermitant vacum leak some where. this would cause a lean condition that the o2 sensor would pick up and display the check engine light......but this would have to be a huge crack that is almost closed up under normal driving conditions.

I think your best bet is to get under the hood and just go sick proding, pokeing and pushing things about and see if the problem happens again!

would a faulty plug lead make the light come on......U C Brother ?

When was the last time you gave the car a service?

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
Like driley said,check the codes,the engine light is telling you there are stored codes,you can "quess" all day long,or throw money at it until fixed,or you can pull the codes and that will narrow it down to a couple different things..then go from there.Thats exactly what a service tech will do also.
could be the EGR,it will take you 10 minutes to pull the codes.

·
Registered
607 Posts
T.M, not having much to do with injection myself, I'm left wondering if the Light is suppost to stay on after a code is stored....is this correct?

or does it only flash on breifly for as long as the problem is occurring?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys i really appreciate your guys help. i will get back to you as soon as i find out something....will keep you posted...Clint

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well i went outside to see if it would do this again. and to my amazement i had to reset my radio stations again.... after doing that i get out pop the hood and check to see if the battery cable is maybe loose.. tight as can be checked everything over nuthing. one note i forgot to mention yesterday when i got home i pushed the button to lock both my doors i get nuthing they wouldnt do nuthing but after about maybe 5 to 10 secs bam they lock the same with my parking lights when i shut my lights off it makes this whineding noise but when i did turned them off last night it took a few seconds to make that noise...so i hope this helps on what the problem might be...Clint

·
Only green will do...
18,388 Posts
I am stumped i definetely would like to know what you found the problem was keep me posted

·
Registered
607 Posts
:surprised .....very very strange!

check the codes, we need to start ruling thing out!

was it only the check eng. light that came on before, or all ign. lights like when you turn the key on before starting?

It seems strange that the stereo lost memory telling of a power loss, yet if this was the source of your trouble....in total power loss when engine is running, you would think no lights would come on!

all I can say is check for codes and if nothing, get hold of a multimeter and see what happens to battery voltage when you do things like lock doors like you've been having troubles with!

and like I've said have the engine running and literaly tug on looms hoses etc,
if you've already done this, you've obviosly found nothing?

have you checked the rubber boot between the maf and throttle body?
I know this is beginning to sound like an electrical prob..but they may not be linked:lookinup:

·
Registered
724 Posts
Sounds like something is running the battery down. If battery voltage drops down below 12 volts, the computer will freak out.

·
DC Crew
4,823 Posts
Did you notice how many volts your alternator was putting out? I'm wondering if it's the alt and a bad battery.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well i took my car out this morning and bam same thing but this time when i start to give it some gas its starts backfiring but the thing is ...i mean my car has been running great and all of a sudden it does this...wth... it does this when i first got in the car but when i start driving it seems to run good but after alittle bit it will do the sevice engine soon light will come on for a split second and motor will cut off(feels like)...i will know more monday... i apologize for not knowing anything more. i wish i was more mechanically inclined then i am..Clint

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
What does your volts gauge read when the car is running? Did you check your battery cables not at the battery but where they attach to the car?
Go find the answer to those two questions and get back to us.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
battery cables are good to the battery and to the car and the volts read13.8 i did notice when i first started the car the volts did read (for a split second)at 10.0

·
DC Crew
4,751 Posts
Sounds like a MAF sensor going out for the CEL. I would be you have some poor grounds in the car too. You have to not only check the battery cable at the battery, but also at the block/frame and other connections.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
the battery cable is lose to the car(i guess i didnt check it good enough) i took the car over to my brother in laws he found out the problem with n 5mins and fixed it:thumbsup: i would like to thank everyone on this forum who had a say in this deal... you guys rock!....the best website on the net bar none...Clint:partyon:

·
Registered
607 Posts
:thumbsup:

Great to see you found the problem!
just a process of ilimination........good work people.

I do enjoy a thread like this.......even better with a happy ending:buhbye:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts